Sign in to follow this  
Tony W

Mattress Water Stain.......drycleaning? Help!

Hi, We experienced a leaking Heiki roof light in the front of our Coachman which was repaired under warranty.

A while later, whilst in storage the rear Heiki rooflight leaked causing the fixed double mattress below it to become soaked and waterstained in two large patches. Our local dealer did an instant quick repair to the roof light whilst applying for a warranty claim. (preventing further damage)

The claim has been approved for a full repair and reseal, but I have been told that the mattress will not be replaced but will be drycleaned. Having previously been told by the dealer that the mattress would be replaced, I am very concerned.

The Caravan Club also thought that the mattress should be replaced as it was without doubt caused by water ingress from the leaking roof light.

Has anyone had this experience following a leak and can the mattress be successfully repaired/rectified using "dry cleaning"

You can refuse their offer.

Most certainly refuse their offer, and if necessary elicit the help of the Caravan Club in getting a new mattress. A mattress that has been soaked as you describe cannot be "dry cleaned"! Only the outer covering can be cleaned, and there is bound to be water damage/mould inside.

If it comes to it, tell the dealer that unless the mattress is changed, then you fully intend to issue a claim in the Small Claims Court for the full cost including any and all associated expenses of obtaining a replacement mattress.

Write a full and detailed report and send it by recorded delivery to the dealer and a copy to the manufacturer.

Start with date. ."on. .....such and such a date I bought a Coachman Laser. .. from. ................. with a . ....years warranty.

On. ....date. ...........I noticed the front Heiki rooflight was leaking and this was repaired by you on. ........date under the terms and conditions of the warranty. On. ..date. ......I noticed that the rear Heiki rooflight was leaking and had caused damage to the mattress situated beneath it. You, the dealer were advised, and agreed for the work to repair the Heiki rooflight to be done under warranty. You also advised that the mattress would also be replaced. You have subsequently reneged on this agreement and have now advised me that you are only prepared to dry clean the mattress. Please be advised that I am not prepared to accept this, it is not acceptable, and I am therefore insisting that a new mattress be provided by you as previously agreed.

Unless you let me know by return that you are prepared to replace the mattress at your cost, then please be advised that I will obtain a replacement mattress elsewhere, and will be seeking to recover from you the full cost of the same plus any associated expenses and an additional amount for inconvenience and distress that this matter has caused.

In this regard, can you please advise me of the address for service of documents.

Yours etc.

Yours

Update:

I rejected the offer with the dealer and Coachman have agreed to replace the mattress under their warranty! Very happy wife!!

Update:

I rejected the offer with the dealer and Coachman have agreed to replace the mattress under their warranty! Very happy wife!!

Well done :) Result

Great result,well done. John.

I am pleased to hear that Coachman have now agreed to replace the mattress. But for your information I can tell you that we have an ongoing issue with a leaking roof light and have had a mattress soaked twice. On the first occasion the dealer made a repair and Lunar reimbursed us for a new bed frame and mattress. Now we have had a second incident and are awaiting a ruling. Who says lightning only strikes once! I may post something about this separately.

i am glad that you are getting your mattress replaced, there has never been any way of cleaning and restoring them that is satisfactory. what a shame the dealer and coachman tried this shabby trick in the first place. fitting a roof light and sealing it is so simple? how on earth could such poor workmanship get through?? Twice?

Sign in to follow this