12 Volt Television

Paul Dodd

Is there any reason why my new small LCD TV, running on 12 volts from the mains via a transformer, shouldn't be used directly from the caravan battery? I've been told there might be problems because the set isn't specifically designed for a caravan - but is that just nonsense propagated by caravan TV manufacturers trying to sell overpriced sets?

I might want to use the set in places where I can't have a hookup!

See here. ..... hope this helps

Steve

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

I think you will find that the LCD televisions are not very tolerant of voltages that are not almost exactly 12v. The mains adaptor is designed specifically to give a smooth 12v supply. 12v caravan batteries are not, strangely enough, strictly 12v. More like 13+v and, if connected to the caravan's charger unit, even higher than that. Because of this you may find that your TV won't give you a picture when connected directly to the battery.

I have read that some people connect the 12v battery to a mains inverter and run the power supply from that. 12v up to 230v and then back to 12v - strange but true.

Moose did a very good post on this with the answer "here"

Its basically, from what I can see, is a caravan battery is 14. 4 volts full, 13. 8 when on mains charge, down to 12 volt when virtually flat.

I have a ordinary caravan type colour TV, which is mains or 12 volts (a switch on the side ) with no problems

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

• 2 weeks later...

For the record:

12. 7v or over is fully charged

12. 5v is around 75%

12. 4v is around 50%

12. 2v is around 25%

12v or under is discharged

(All readings with the charger and everything else disconnected of course.)

GMC

For the record:

12. 7v or over is fully charged

12. 5v is around 75%

12. 4v is around 50%

12. 2v is around 25%

12v or under is discharged

(All readings with the charger and everything else disconnected of course.)

GMC

40951[/snapback]

this is quite right what GMC says

but its the 12. 7v or over is fully charged this is the problem the "or over" most caravan chargers charge to 13. 8 volts. a battery can hold a charge up to nearly 15 volts, :o will a LCD TV appreciate this ;), at least with the 12 volt stabilizer you know what its getting :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I have a 240/12 volt TV which has a mains plug and a car cigar lighter plug but both have their own 'box of tricks' in line so that the TV always receives the correct power.

I use a regulated 12v lead, available from any good TV shop for around £25. It was bought to use with a Relisys screen but cna be used for most appliances, ie DAB radio, Freeview box, DVD player etc

I have just bought a Thomson 15" LCD TV and notice on this particualr one, not sure if it is common, that the output from both a transformed adaptor from a 240v AC supply & 12v DC supply through an adaptor both provide a 19v output for the TV.

Griff.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Archived