Automatics

novicemanuk

Hi there all just asking about automatics and towing, Got my self a Ford Scorpio (with a automatic box )and a Compass Rally 400 and have thought about going to Whitby for a week, then thought about the road over the moors the A159 and the hills, there is 2 hills that are 5 in 1, 1 near the Hole of Horcum and the Blue Bank that gos down into the village of Sleights any thoughts are wellcome. :)

Thanks Kev.

Freedom at Last. ....me and the missis and a Compass Rally!!! :D

Hi there all just asking about automatics and towing, Got my self a Ford Scorpio (with a automatic box )and a Compass Rally 400 and have thought about going to Whitby for a week, then thought about the road over the moors the A159 and the hills, there is 2 hills that are 5 in 1, 1 near the Hole of Horcum and the Blue Bank that gos down into the village of Sleights any thoughts are wellcome. :)

Thanks Kev.

39938[/snapback]

Hi Kev,

I don't know the facts and figures regarding your combination but I don't think that you should experience any problems when towing with your automatic. The advantage over manual transmissions is that the clutch won't burn out!

Yossa

Thanks Kev.

39938[/snapback]

I went to Whitby earlier this year and feared the same problem. I went on the coast road from Scarborough and although there are a few hills they are neither as long or as steep. It may cost you a bit of time but what's that for piece of mind!

• 2 weeks later...

Anticipate - many auto gearboxes "hunt" around for the right gear.

This can be avoided in hilly terrain by holding 3rd manually (on a 4 speed auto) at the bottom of each dip before the incline forces a changedown and then changing back to "drive" halfway up the hill.

Some car manufacturers recommend use of 3rd all the time but I normally use 4th (drive) all the time except on hills as above. This gives less wear and tear on engine and gearbox as well as being more economical.

Guest Hobbybod
Anticipate - many auto gearboxes "hunt" around for the right gear.

This can be avoided in hilly terrain by holding 3rd manually (on a 4 speed auto) at the bottom of each dip before the incline forces a changedown and then changing back to "drive" halfway up the hill.

Some car manufacturers recommend use of 3rd all the time but I normally use 4th (drive) all the time except on hills as above. This gives less wear and tear on engine and gearbox as well as being more economical.

40847[/snapback]

Totally agree with Roger here, although with the very modern autos the need to 'anticipate' may not be so great.

Certainly with an old Volvo auto, I always went into 3rd or 4th 'hold', way before the 'box' decided to shift down. When speed and revs start to pick up again then manually change up a gear or back into 'drive'.

After seeing how the auto box changed down on hills, when towing the 'van, (when I first got the car), I never left it to the box again! They just aren't set up for the additional load of towing the 'van. Modern auto boxes may well be more 'decisive' when towing; but I don't have one!!

I went to Whitby earlier this year and feared the same problem. I went on the coast road from Scarborough and although there are a few hills they are neither as long or as steep. It may cost you a bit of time but what's that for piece of mind!

39941[/snapback]

I've been to Whitby both ways and would definitely recommend going to Scarboro and then up the coast road.

On the other road over the moors I got stuck behind a big wagon grinding up a VERY steep hill with a left hand bend at the top.

I was driving a 2 litre Merc with a manual gearbox and was nearly down to 1st gear and panic was not far away.

Take my word for it, going the Scarboro way gives peace of mind because you know you aint going to have any problems.

Good luck.

I've been to Whitby both ways and would definitely recommend going to Scarboro and then up the coast road.

On the other road over the moors I got stuck behind a big wagon grinding up a VERY steep hill with a left hand bend at the top.

I was driving a 2 litre Merc with a manual gearbox and was nearly down to 1st gear and panic was not far away.

Take my word for it, going the Scarboro way gives peace of mind because you know you aint going to have any problems.

Good luck.

40855[/snapback]

That sounds like Saltergate hill next to the Hole of Horcum. I have found no problems going north by that route but don't fancy the left hand hairpin on Saltersgate heading south, it's bad enough without the van on the back.

Frank

That sounds like Saltergate hill next to the Hole of Horcum. I have found no problems going north by that route but don't fancy the left hand hairpin on Saltersgate heading south, it's bad enough without the van on the back.

Frank

40858[/snapback]

Yeah - Sorry, You're quite right Frank, I encountered that horrendous hill, with the left hand bend going South on the way home to Leeds.

It was a very worrying moment- Mrs W was feeding me Immodium all the way home !!!

I've done that route a couple of times without any problems.

The bends and gradients are clearly signed so it's not difficult to adjust speed beforehand.

40905[/snapback]

If you are in a stream of traffic,a great deal depends on the speed and makeup of the rest of the stream. Road signs don't help with that!

Frank

Hi there all just been and come back from Whitby on the A 159. .great time had by us at Whitby :D found a lovely site. ..http://www. sandfieldhousefarm. co. uk/,but to top-it all had no problemswith the car :D it towed great up and down hill and them 5 in 1 hills just droped it down into 2nd gear going down and 1st gear going up.

Petrol was not bad too 20. 2 mpg with the van on :huh: . ..but wait for it. .25. 2 mpg with the car solo <_< . .....cant wait to get off again!!!!!!! :D

see you on the road. ..Kev