Sign in to follow this  
tony23

Skoda Octavia

Have downsized van so got rid of my 4x4, caravan loaded is 1200kg,the octavia looks a good match,budget is up to 10k so looks like should be able to get 07/08 reg with sensable miles. Advice please, Hatchback or estate? 1. 9 or 2. 0? Manual or DSG auto? I like the idea of the auto, keen to hear from anybody who has got one, what are they like for towwing Thanks tony

Brother in law tows 1250kg (ish) van many miles with a '56 plate 1. 9 diesel Octavia manual HB without any towing problems,

he gets good MPG (50+ solo)

Only problem with car (not because of towing) was it went into "limp" mode at times, it was out of warranty but they had failed several times to sort it before, he still had to pay for parts from a total £800 bill, but seems fine now. I think it was a problem with the ECU or injectors. This is a well documented problem with the PD engine, but later models are not affected to my knowledge. (??)

I looked at and liked the Estate version, but it wasn't heavy enough for my van

We towed with a Seat Toledo 1. 9TDI 110bhp 8-10 years ago, but have been told is same floor-plan as Octavia, VW Bora & Audi A4, we had no problems towing a 1300kg Adria.

But in the 2. 5 years we had it, the rear shocks & springs were changed twice under warranty and the front shocks changed once.

We NEVER exceeded the 75kg noseweight - EVER! But we were told that it was due to towing such a heavy caravan (car rated at 1400kg).

We reluctantly got rid of it before the warranty ran out (took a hammering on depreciation aswell), but have had Range Rover Classic & Land Rover Discoveries ever since!

Currently towing with my second Octavia vRS with the 170bhp TDi unit. Towing is effortless, we have just changed from a 1300Kg van to a 1400Kg one, it hasn't noticed the difference - however it is a bit tight weightwise so we are changing to a Yeti 170 TDi come March.

Have had no issues with any of my Skodas, can hand on heart say they are great cars, the one downside with the vRS is the high insurance group.

We have a 2. 0 vrs petrol estate on a 55 plate, one of the first new shape.

It is an excellent car. Personally I think they are a bit better looking than the Hatch and the boot is huge. Should be no trouble at all towing 1200kg. We used to tow our old Avondale which weighed about the same and it did so with no trouble at all. I haven't towed with it for a while as we got a bigger van which we now tow with my car.

I would say to go for a 2. 0 diesel with the 138bhp engine, and you won't go far wrong. The vrs is faster and looks swish but is more expensive to insure. they drive very nicely solo even is estate form and I can vouch for the long distance comfort as we have been to the south of France in ours and the alps on many occasions, using it in preference to the e39 5 series i used to have.

The only fault we have had in 4 years has been the failure of the ecu a couple of years back. Expensive failure at 800 notes but the fact that pretty much nothing bar oil changes and timing belt has been done other than it has been a pretty cheap motor to run.

Again guys many thanks for the above info a real help Anybody got any information /experiance of the DSG Auto gearbox? love to hear from you

Hiand good morning! I am sitting here--- at my Skoda dealers ( they provide internet for customers ! ) we have a Skoda scout 4x4 great car for towing, as you can see we have a @match@ of 93% -when fully loaded. We climbed Strue hill in Scotland ( 17% ) with the van, in second gear--no bother ! this is a 2008 model with the 140 b,h,p, ( diesel ) engine. On the way here ( to dealers ) clocked 63 M. P. G.@ 1. 600 r,p. m @52m. p. h. Qne thing not mentioned ( yet ! ) Watch out for ex- hire cars . there's a lot of them about. the only problem with the 4x4 - finding one! also for 2010 . they lost weight as well ( ours is 1605 kg . kerb weight ) so we went for the older model. Why are we here at the dealers ? the Lambda probe & heater plugs are U/S cost ? ( cars dne 31000 miles ) -500 pounds ! ow !! david 1220

Edited by david 1220

My Last three Cars have been Skodas. First was a Fabia Estatae 100bhp 1. 9TDi towing a van with a 930Kg MTPLM. Second was an Octavia Hatch 140bhp 2. 0TDi towing both the 930 and a 1285kg MTPLM van. Current is an Octavia Estate 140bhp 2. 0 TDi 4x4 towing the 1285kg van. All have been excellent vehicles, no problems to speak off. The 1. 9 in the Fabia could on occasions feel a bit marginal power wise even with the 930Kg van. I certainly wouldn't have liked to tow the current van with it even if it had been legal. The 1. 9 was replaced about 2 years ago by a 1. 6 105bhp. Same power as the 1. 9 but better ecomony. Cant imagine it any better to tow with, but would probably suffice if your not in a hurry. The 140bhp 2. 0 in the Octavia feels much stronger when towing and generally quieter and smother than the 1. 9. The drop in fuel consumption wasn't to bad either, down from typical 55mpg with the Fabia to about 50mpg with the Octavia. Only towing related concern I ever noted with the Octavia Hatch was that at 75kg nose weight and with a full boot the car sat a bit low at the back. This is probably due to the long rear overhang. Never seemed to effect stability, just looked slightly wrong. The current 4x4 estate as well as the obvious traction advantages, has raised ride height and appears to have stiffer rear suspension. No longer sits low at the back. The 4x4 system by the way knocks about 5mpg of the fuel consumption and is more expensive to tax. Greater running cost but good if you ever tow on wet grass etc and useful where I live in the North Wales hills. All in all I'd say you wouldn't go far wrong with an Octavia but my suggestion is the 2. 0 rather than the 1. 9/1. 6 and probably an estate rather than a hatch. Hope that helps

Lee

Hiand good morning! I am sitting here--- at my Skoda dealers ( they provide internet for customers ! ) we have a Skoda scout 4x4 great car for towing, as you can see we have a @match@ of 93% -when fully loaded. We climbed Strue hill in Scotland ( 17% ) with the van, in second gear--no bother ! this is a 2008 model with the 140 b,h,p, ( diesel ) engine. On the way here ( to dealers ) clocked 63 M. P. G.@ 1. 600 r,p. m @52m. p. h. Qne thing not mentioned ( yet ! ) Watch out for ex- hire cars . there's a lot of them about. the only problem with the 4x4 - finding one! also for 2010 . they lost weight as well ( ours is 1605 kg . kerb weight ) so we went for the older model. Why are we here at the dealers ? the Lambda probe & heater plugs are U/S cost ? ( cars dne 31000 miles ) -500 pounds ! ow !! david 1220

Well dealer has done the jobs.-- and the price has come down to 439 ! -mind you did l leave my comment on display

Too many problems with Skoda for my liking, reading the above posts.

Have Skoda 55 plate 2. 0 140 bhp Octavia Elegance with dsg. Now done 47000 including 6000 miles towing, first with Coachman Pastiche and now with 2011 Pegasus 462 upgraded to 1420 mklg. Mpg since 2005 works out at 42, solo get about 60mpg on long runs and towing 30 odd. Best all round car I have had at that price. Journies have been all over uk, France, Germany Austria. No problem on steep hills .

I have a 140bhp PD VW Touran Sport DSG - This is the 'wet' 6 speed DSG.

MPG is awful, but 1450kg is an 85% match because it is so heavy.

Struggles a little up steep hills trying to maintain 60mph, but it can do it.

Car is an '07' reg, as they got lighter in the 2010 facelift, so we kept ours for now.

Only problem so far was replacement ABS unit at 3 years old, covered by warranty.

DSG is a god send when towing, I find it fantastic personally. - Heard some bad things about the '7' speed 'dry' DSG box though.

Just got a Octavia 2. 0TDI 4x4, still running it in, so cannot comment on towing yet. Have had a lot of good reports from other owners.

With a few factory extras and dealer fit towbar, not much change from £22,800. 00.

KW 1,500kg, towing limit 1,600kg, so a little more weight than the standard Octavia also a higher ground clearance and better traction. Only problem, placed order last June and a 7 month wait!

Did a 500 mile round trip to South Wales from Yorkshire at a steady 60mph solo and got a return of 61mpg.

IMG_2232a-1-1.jpg

IMG_2230a-1.jpg

Have a read of this:

http://www. octinfo. c. ..x. php?p=main_en

Hi all, we are currently towing a 2010 swift freestyle 520 (charisma) weighing in at 1450 mtplm and we tow it with a 61 plate skoda octavia vrs 170 bhp common rail diesel estate and its brilliant! returning a good 30mpg loaded, before that we towed a bailey ranger 510/4 with a 57 plate octavia vrs petrol hatch, also very good but thirsty, go for the estate as they are slightly heavier and the boot is huge and from a personal point it tends to tow better, keep away from the octavia 2. 0 tdi with the engine code BKW as it has head problems, and the earlier vrs diesel with engine code BMM as they have injector faults although the BMM engine is covered still by skoda warranty.

Hi all, we are currently towing a 2010 swift freestyle 520 (charisma) weighing in at 1450 mtplm and we tow it with a 61 plate skoda octavia vrs 170 bhp common rail diesel estate and its brilliant! returning a good 30mpg loaded, before that we towed a bailey ranger 510/4 with a 57 plate octavia vrs petrol hatch, also very good but thirsty, go for the estate as they are slightly heavier and the boot is huge and from a personal point it tends to tow better, keep away from the octavia 2. 0 tdi with the engine code BKW as it has head problems, and the earlier vrs diesel with engine code BMM as they have injector faults although the BMM engine is covered still by skoda warranty.

All gets horribly confusing with VAG engine codes, but I think the earlier vRS diesel which is known for injector faults is BMN. This is a 170bhp PD engine with piezo injectors. The BMM is a 140bhp 8 valve engine with a DPF and is only used in the four wheel drive versions (Scout and 4x4). I assume this was because they couldn't get the 4x4's through emission regs without a DPF and it wasn't possible to shoe horn the extra bits for the DPF regeneration into the 16valve DOHC head. The DMM is basically an enlarged 1. 9 and docent have any particular injector faults that I'm aware of.

All a bit of a minefield but basically the only Octavia 2. 0TDI engine with a well documented injector problem was the early PD engined vRS. No idea about the BKW sorry, not one I've heard of but I don't think its the usual Octavia engine

Of course all of the PD engines were replaced by common rails in 2010.

Lee

All gets horribly confusing with VAG engine codes, but I think the earlier vRS diesel which is known for injector faults is BMN. This is a 170bhp PD engine with piezo injectors. The BMM is a 140bhp 8 valve engine with a DPF and is only used in the four wheel drive versions (Scout and 4x4). I assume this was because they couldn't get the 4x4's through emission regs without a DPF and it wasn't possible to shoe horn the extra bits for the DPF regeneration into the 16valve DOHC head. The DMM is basically an enlarged 1. 9 and docent have any particular injector faults that I'm aware of.

All a bit of a minefield but basically the only Octavia 2. 0TDI engine with a well documented injector problem was the early PD engined vRS. No idea about the BKW sorry, not one I've heard of but I don't think its the usual Octavia engine

Of course all of the PD engines were replaced by common rails in 2010.

Lee

So sorry but i have confused everyone and myself i meant to refer to BKD not BKW and you are quiet right the early vrs was the BMN,(170 bhp 16valve with dpf) The BKD engine is a 2. 0 pd engine which when running ok is a torque monster it produces 140 bhp and masses of torque but we do have problems with them, mainly head issues, ive personaly fitted a few heads on these engines.

Too many problems with Skoda for my liking, reading the above posts.

Isn't that always the case on forums like this. There will be thousands of people who are quite happy with their car and/or caravan and don't post anything here. Those who do post are only a small proportion of owners and they have pointed out issues they have had - as well as a lot of praise for Skoda.

I see that you drive a Nisan X-Trail and I bet that if I looked back through the forum there would be those who liked the car and others who wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Just the same could be said about your Bailey caravan - but I'm quite happy with my Sterling. Each to their own . . . . . . . .

Mike

So sorry but i have confused everyone and myself i meant to refer to BKD not BKW and you are quiet right the early vrs was the BMN,(170 bhp 16valve with dpf) The BKD engine is a 2. 0 pd engine which when running ok is a torque monster it produces 140 bhp and masses of torque but we do have problems with them, mainly head issues, ive personaly fitted a few heads on these engines.

LOL no problem confuses the hell out of me as VAG seem to insist on using such similar codes for quite different motors. Interesting to hear about head problems on the BKD, wasn't aware of that. My old Octavia had this motor and didn't have any problems in the time I had it, but worth bearing in mind. I think in general the 1. 9 had a better reputation of reliability and longevity but of course less power and torque for towing.

Lee

Well done everybody great info. I have convinced myself to go out and buy Octavia 2. 0 tdi estate with DSG gearbox . Again many thanks to all above

Well done everybody great info. I have convinced myself to go out and buy Octavia 2. 0 tdi estate with DSG gearbox . Again many thanks to all above

What, not the 4x4 :o

Edited by Czech connection