Reverse Park Sensors

Steven

Does anyone have reverse park sensors fitted to their car and if so do they bleep when you are reversing with the caravan on the back.

My car came with factory fitted sensors, however when you reverse with the caravan on the back, because of the closeness of the caravan the sensors think there is something behind you. (I know there is, I meant in addition to the caravan).

I have spoken to Mitsubishi who say they recommend fitting a manual switch in the rear load area to switch off the power to the sensors.

Having looked on the internet I came across a device called a "Fog Light Cut off Relay". It is a relay with a small piece of circuitry built in that senses when the trailer Fog lights are connected and cuts off the car fog lights to prevent glare.

This same piece of kit if fitted between the reversing light feed to the reverse park sensor and the feed to PIN 1 (caravan reversing light) on the 12S socket has the same effect. When the 12S socket is connected it senses the caravans reversing lights and cuts the power to the reverse park sensors. Disconnect the caravan and the sensors work again.

Cost £5. 00 plus 30 minutes of my time.

The company who supplied the device is called PCT Automotive in Sheffield who can be contacted on 0845 1231111.

If you want to e-mail me I can supply you with a modified wiring diagram specific for use with the reverse park sensors.

p. s. I have no connection with PCT other than it is near to where I live.

Hope this is of use to you.

Cheers

Steve

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Does anyone have reverse park sensors fitted to their car and if so do the bleep when you are reversing with the caravan on the back.

My car came with factory fitted sensors, however when you reverse with the caravan on the back, because of the closeness of the caravan the sensors think there is something behind you. (I know there is, I meant in addition to the caravan).

I have spoken to Mitsubishi who say they recommend fitting a manual switch in the rear load area to switch off the power to the sensors.

Having looked on the internet I came across a device called a "Fog Light Cut off Relay". It is a relay with a small piece of circuitry built in that senses when the trailer Fog lights are connected and cuts off the car fog lights to prevent glare.

This same piece of kit if fitted between the reversing light feed to the reverse park sensor and the feed to PIN 1 (caravan reversing light) on the 12S socket has the  same effect. When the 12S socket is connected it senses the caravans reversing lights and cuts the power to the reverse park sensors. Disconnect the caravan and the sensors work again.

Cost £5. 00 plus 30 minutes of my time.

The company who supplied the device is called PCT Automotive in Sheffield who can be contacted on 0845 1231111.

If you want to e-mail me I can supply you with a modified wiring diagram specific for use with the reverse park sensors.

p. s. I have no connection with PCT other than it is near to where I live.

Hope this is of use to you.

Cheers

Steve

39913[/snapback]

No mine do not bleep when reversing with the caravan attached but will bleep if i do not remove the tow ball when reversing solo

All the Best Derek

No mine do not bleep when reversing with the caravan attached but will bleep if i do not remove the tow ball when reversing solo

39919[/snapback]

They bleep on our C8 when the van is on the back and sometimes if I forget to remove the towbar - actually they pickup the rubber cover when its on the ball.

You can hardly hear them anyway so they don't worry me. I drove a 3 series BMW a couple of days ago and the sensors were so loud I would have to do something about them if I was reversing with a caravan.

• 1 month later...

Nice one bennets37, just a couple of months too late for me as I'd already rigged up a similar system using a standard £3 Halfords relay.

Inside the caravan 12S plug I wired pin 1 to a spare pin (unused on both plug and socket) to return the voltage from the reversing lights back into the car (as I figured the socket side would always see a voltage on pin 1 when reversing whether the van was plugged in or not).

The new relay cuts power to the reversing sensor board whenever a voltage comes back up via the spare pin, i. e. only when in reverse and the van's plugged in. Works a treat and removes a distraction when reversing the van.

CM

B)