Sign in to follow this  
Tony W

Truma Ultraflow Waterline Mains Adapter Kit--Flow Rate?

Hi All

I occaisionally use a Truma Ultraflow Waterline Mains Adapter Kit on my Coachman Laser.

It has probaly been connected about 12 times. Recently, I have noticed that the flow rate drops signifantly,especially when it is first connected after a break and it has never really delivered water at the same rate as the standard submersible pump, it is adequate but only just.

Has anyone out there shared the same experience and maybe know of any simple fixes if there is one, or is this normal. :wacko:

We use one on our van when possible. ... Never had a problem with it. .. Try turning the pressure switch up in the van. ...

Also could be water pressure from the tap.

It seems to be the through the pipe itself, If you disconnect it from the caravan the flow through the plug fitting is very slow, so I have been suspecting the sealed pressure regulator, also because when you turn the caravan tap on there is an imediate surge followed by a much smaller flow. If you are not finding this I guess I will have to change the regulator!!

Hi Tony,

We had a similar problem on our Pastiche, where we could never get the same flow through the Mains Adapter Kit that we could when using the Aquaroll and submersible pump. The built-in pressure reducer valve is non-adjustable on the mains adapter.

After 'discussions' with our supplying dealer, he changed the Ultraflow Waterline Mains Adapter Kit for a Float Valve unit that fitted into the Aquaroll. This unit automatically kept the Aquaroll half full, and, more importantly, always gave us the 'normal' pressure that we got from the submersible pump (which was appreciably more than that obtained using the Mains Adapter Kit!)

Incidentally, adjusting the pressure switch in the van will NOT affect the pressure when using the Waterline Mains Adapter Kit, as the switch only controls the 12v. submersible pump.

Regards,

David

Hi Tony, We had a similar problem on our Pastiche, where we could never get the same flow through the Mains Adapter Kit that we could when using the Aquaroll and submersible pump. The built-in pressure reducer valve is non-adjustable on the mains adapter. After 'discussions' with our supplying dealer, he changed the Ultraflow Waterline Mains Adapter Kit for a Float Valve unit that fitted into the Aquaroll. This unit automatically kept the Aquaroll half full, and, more importantly, always gave us the 'normal' pressure that we got from the submersible pump (which was appreciably more than that obtained using the Mains Adapter Kit!) Incidentally, adjusting the pressure switch in the van will NOT affect the pressure when using the Waterline Mains Adapter Kit, as the switch only controls the 12v. submersible pump. Regards, David
Thanks David, thats exactly what I have found and do the same with the Aquaroll adaptor. I am new to this forum so I thought it may be worth sounding others out who are using the Mains "System" (I had realised that the pressure switch would have no effect on the Mains input with our water system) Thanks for taking the time to reply

Regards

Tony

I have noticed that the flow rate drops signifantly,especially when it is first connected after a break

We use a Waterline a lot and only normally have pressuer/flow problems when the pitch tap output is poor. However, last year, near the start of a 2 month Europe trip, we hooked-up at a new site and could hardly get any water through. As we were reliant on the Waterline for the rest of the holiday (planning on exclusively using full-service pitches) I had nothing much to lose and decided to unscrew the top of the pressure-reducing valve (a ring of about 6 small screws if I remenber correctly). I then pushed the spring mechanism up and down a few times with a screwdriver, reassembled it and the problem was solved and has worked fine ever since. I think the valve just gets stuck sometimes and later in the holiday another user advised me to gently tap the valve housing on a hard surface to free it up (with taking it apart) if it sticks - I haven't had to try this yet.

This is vey interesting to me because I use the Truma Waterline, for long stays in Europe. Firstly to respond to the OP, Yes we have a low flow rate as you describe. Right now we are on a site in Spain with very high water pressure, and we have a low flow rate - (fortunately we are not using the water in the 'van much so it's not really a problem) - and I have a hunch that the high water pressure is causing the valve to partially close and therefore is causing the problem. I am going to e mail Truma in a moment and will pass on their response as soon as I get it. I have found them to be very responsive in the past so I am expecting and answer tomorrow. I will also try "belting it one" tomorrow as suggested by DayVid, and let you know.

Thanks all, I am glad I am not alone. Ironically, our worst instance was in France when it only "Trickled" out at first, and that tap supply was quite a high pressure. Like DayVid, I had only booked full service pitch but luckily took one aquaroll (only as a back-up). I emailed Truma this afternoon too so we can all see their reply.

regards

Tony

Hi All

I have had a very concise reply from Truma which I have cut and pasted below:

The flow rate of the waterline is less than a system that is set up with the submersible pump and Aquaroll.

If you require any further assistance do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

I telephoned Truma today to ask them to elaborate but as all their engineers were at the exhibition in Exel I have been asked to call again next Tuesday!

I will keep you posted, but it does not sound too promising.

I recieved a reply from my e mail to Truma too, and I quote : "The flow rate on the waterline is lower than the traditional set up with a submersible pump in the Aquaroll. You may find that there is a small build up in pressure if the taps are not used for a long period but still connected to the waterline but it should not exceed 1 bar."

Edited by Ian Hastings

Hi Ian,

You got a liitle bit more than I did, but I suppose its back to the Aqua-roll mains supply and submersible pump for the better shower and quicker sink fill!!

Thanks for letting me know

Regards

Tony

• Like 1

I think it's disapointing that the Truma device is not quite "up to the job" over a long period. I will probably dump mine after the winter, and use the float valve in the Aquaroll. I would have preferred to use the Waterline and not carry an Aquaroll.

We've had no problem with ours. .... We use the shower regular when we can connect it up to the tap.

If we have to use the Waterhog, we use the onsite showers. ... My shoulder can only take so much tugging and pulling in a day. ..

I believe its all to do with the pressure on the water heater from the mains supply

When we had a direct line it was useless if you wanted to shower above the waist

The water supply just trickled

I used it to fill the onboard tank and then supplied the taps from the tank using the normal pump

My waterline stopped working completely - nothing getting through. I disconnected the pipe on the inlet side of the pressure reducing valve and found that there is an inbuilt mesh filter which was blocked by a peaty deposit. Once this was cleaned the water supply was restored. Maybe poor pressure can be caused by a partially blocked filter.

I think it's disapointing that the Truma device is not quite "up to the job" over a long period. I will probably dump mine after the winter, and use the float valve in the Aquaroll. I would have preferred to use the Waterline and not carry an Aquaroll.

I agree. Have used other mains water systems/preesure reducing valves and always had much better flow than with the submersible pump. And this product isn't cheap!

My waterline stopped working completely - nothing getting through. I disconnected the pipe on the inlet side of the pressure reducing valve and found that there is an inbuilt mesh filter which was blocked by a peaty deposit. Once this was cleaned the water supply was restored. Maybe poor pressure can be caused by a partially blocked filter.

As the flow on mine gets progressively weaker I will try cleaning the filter. Thanks for that.

Just to try and bring this topic up to date.

I recently purchased, direct from Truma at this years NEC show, the latest version of their Waterline mains water inlet hose and valve kit. We have now used it and can make the following comments.

1) The pressure reduction valve is a new version.

2) The water pressure in the caravan is no different than when using the pump and Aquaroll.

3) The shower operates as normal - same as with the pump.

I had a lengthy discussion with the Truma engineer about the valve failure and the caravan being subjected to mains water pressure. It seems that it is true that if the spring in the valve fails it is not fail safe and the caravan would be subjected to mains pressure.  I have since had this confirmed by a second Truma engineer in Germany. However, all Truma water systems have a drain/safety valve on both the hot and cold side (blue with yellow release lever), these valves release at 2.8 bar. 

I have done some additional research with John Guest, who provides the pipe work and fittings for the Truma Ultraflow System and also with Reich, who provide the taps in our caravan; they both confirmed that their products will withstand pressures up to 10 bar and 5 bar respectively.

I don’t know what pressure the Alde boiler will stand but the safety valves mentioned earlier are fitted at the cold inlet and hot outlet  to the boiler so I’m happy with that.

Truma state that they do not know of an actual valve failure (they would say that though), has anyone on here actually witnessed a valve failure and the subsequent consequences?

In the past We’ve  used the float and Aquaroll but find we go through pumps quite quickly, around one a year! We’re much happier with the new Waterline.

• Like 1

Hi and thanks to all who have contributed to the problems with the Truma Ultraflo connection. We are in France have had yet more problems with our water supply. Must stress we mainly use mains water connected using the Truma Ultraflo connection (not via the Aquaroll) but use a barrel when sites do not have a service pitch.

First problem using the barrel. We always get air locks and also have problems having to adjust the pressure switch. This time our connection to the van started leaking water and and had to repair that little problem. Always felt that the the "pistol grip" felt cheap and nasty synonimous with "made in Hong Kong" back in the 50's and 60's.

Second problem is flow rate on the mains connection. Havent tried to rectify this  yet, taking note of all suggestions, but will do so over next day or so. 

Pity Truma water products are so unreliable and so expensive. Can't understand why caravan manufacturers persist when there is a perfectly acceptable alternative from Whale.

:mellow: Has anyone had the Truma Ultraflow  Waterline make a Squealing noise when operating, is it bacause the water pressure from the tap is too high or  too low?

On 16/06/2019 at 12:27, GPM said:

Just to try and bring this topic up to date.

I recently purchased, direct from Truma at this years NEC show, the latest version of their Waterline mains water inlet hose and valve kit. We have now used it and can make the following comments.

1) The pressure reduction valve is a new version.

2) The water pressure in the caravan is no different than when using the pump and Aquaroll.

3) The shower operates as normal - same as with the pump.

I had a lengthy discussion with the Truma engineer about the valve failure and the caravan being subjected to mains water pressure. It seems that it is true that if the spring in the valve fails it is not fail safe and the caravan would be subjected to mains pressure.  I have since had this confirmed by a second Truma engineer in Germany. However, all Truma water systems have a drain/safety valve on both the hot and cold side (blue with yellow release lever), these valves release at 2.8 bar. 

I have done some additional research with John Guest, who provides the pipe work and fittings for the Truma Ultraflow System and also with Reich, who provide the taps in our caravan; they both confirmed that their products will withstand pressures up to 10 bar and 5 bar respectively.

I don’t know what pressure the Alde boiler will stand but the safety valves mentioned earlier are fitted at the cold inlet and hot outlet  to the boiler so I’m happy with that.

Truma state that they do not know of an actual valve failure (they would say that though), has anyone on here actually witnessed a valve failure and the subsequent consequences?

In the past We’ve  used the float and Aquaroll but find we go through pumps quite quickly, around one a year! We’re much happier with the new Waterline.

I wonder if the new pressure reduction valve is available separately, to update older connections with poor flow rates.