Water Pipes

Pete

I believe the problem may be pseudomonas aeruginosa (see here). This lives just about everywhere it is wet and caravan cold water systems are especially susceptible because of the low flow rates and long periods where water is allowed to sit in the pipes. Sterilising fluid like Milton can help limit its growth (see here ), but it is almost impossible to eradicate. For some alarming facts about how this bug has adapted to survive see here and look at the section "Watering Equipment and Facility Decontamination " . It is just a good thing that it is not in itself harmful to healthy folk.

I'm off now to work out how to circulate boiling water and chlorine through the pipes in my van!

It may be that your pump, inlet pipe and aquaroll need some serious decontamination. It is interesting to note that the bug cannot tolerate drying out for any length of time. Perhaps storing the pump & hose in a dry place between trips could help.

Hi There

I agree with moosehead the slimey substance is known as a biofilm - a sort of germ city! It is slimely because the bacteria secrete mucoid compounds ( based on sugar) which make them resistant to antiseptics and other substances that might harm them including antibiotics. I don't know if it is Pseudomonas A. since there are numerous bacteria which can form biofilms and indeed biofilms can be made up of more than one bacterium - MRSA and bacteroides for example.

I would disagree that Pseudomonas is harmless to healthy people, in my line of work i regularly come across PSeudomonas A. infections especially of the urinary tract and wounds. Further it is beoming multiresistant like MRSA making it a nasty little blighter!

The best way to prevent biofilms is to reduce bacterial levels since bacteria form them due to a process known as quorum sensing. Milton is a good alround antibacterial agent. However once a biolfilm has formed the best way to get rid of it is by scrubbing and then disinfecting.

One last thing if the biofilm is mostly caused by pseudomonas A. then it inactivate in sunlight. In other words if you change your aquaroll for one of the clear gerry cans the problem should disappear.

Regards

Lee :(

Hi There

I agree with moosehead the slimey substance is known as a biofilm - a sort of germ city! It is slimely because the bacteria secrete mucoid compounds ( based on sugar) which make them resistant to antiseptics and other substances that might harm them including antibiotics. I don't know if it is Pseudomonas A. since there are numerous bacteria which can form biofilms and indeed biofilms can be made up of more than one bacterium - MRSA and bacteroides for example.

I would disagree that Pseudomonas is harmless to healthy people, in my line of work i regularly come across PSeudomonas A. infections especially of the urinary tract and wounds. Further it is beoming multiresistant like MRSA making it a nasty little blighter!

The best way to prevent biofilms is to reduce bacterial levels since bacteria form them due to a process known as quorum sensing. Milton is a good alround antibacterial agent. However once a biolfilm has formed the best way to get rid of it is by scrubbing and then disinfecting.

One last thing if the biofilm is mostly caused by pseudomonas A. then it inactivate in sunlight. In other words if you change your aquaroll for one of the clear gerry cans the problem should disappear.

Regards

Lee :(

39959[/snapback]

But does that not produce other green life-forms in the light?

Mike

Hi There

39959[/snapback]

Which is why I and some others drink from a dedicated water container and NOT the aquaroll via the caravan plumbing system :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies.

I already use milton between each trip and have scrubbed the pipe/pump etc. after we have noticed the slime. Also we have never drunk any water from the aquaroll, even in the UK. Am I glad that we haven't!!

We have never had this problem in the UK, although we have never been away for more than 2 weeks in the UK.

Could this also be something to do with the French water supply? or is it just because we are away for 4 - 6 weeks at a time in France?

Pete.

Thanks for all the replies.

I already use milton between each trip and have scrubbed the pipe/pump etc. after we have noticed the slime. Also we have never drunk any water from the aquaroll, even in the UK. Am I glad that we haven't!!

We have never had this problem in the UK, although we have never been away for more than 2 weeks in the UK.

Could this also be something to do with the French water supply? or is it just because we are away for 4 - 6 weeks at a time in France?

Pete.

40030[/snapback]

We spent several weeks in France this summer and at various locations and never experienced this problem.

We never drink water (it is meant for washing in) other than chilled sparkling water in our Campari! But we do use the Aquaroll water for cooking and making tea or coffee and again we have had no problems and we also find that after the Aquaroll has been used a few times there is no taste contamination.

We do take the precaution of sterilising the vans plumbing after it has been laid up for a while - that is months rather than weeks BUT do also take sensible precautions when filling the Aquaroll - like make sure the tap is clean, the mouth of the Aquaroll is clean and the filling pipe is clean.

another plus point for Stella :lol::lol:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

:) Hi There

Just another thought. The biofilm could not be Pseudomonas A. since this bacteria produces a characteristic florescent green biofilm. Your biofilm was clear suggesting it is another germ!

On the subject of never drinking from the aquaroll, I do drink from it and have never had any problems. JUst because there are bacteria in the system doesnot mean they can give you food poisoning - it depends on what bacteria is present and their numbers. Take Pseudomonas for example. It does not give you food poisoning but can give you a urine infection. This means that if i were to drink from a contaminated aquaroll and you were to shower, then potentially i would be alright and you could develop a urine infection. Sensible precautions such as regular decontamination of the plumbing is all that is needed to prevent the build up of excess bacteria.

Archived