Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0td

paulni

Anyone out there tow with this car? I was looking at these this morning and considering buying one. I am undecided between a new 3dr and 2yr old 5dr model both at the same price. Would there be much difference in the towability of the 3dr compared to the 5dr as both have same engine? I'm thinking along the lines of stability. Any thoughts?

Paul

Check the kerbweights. ...and the manufacturers maximum braked trailer limit.

Stability will be better for the heavier vehicle, probably the 5 door. ...

Hi Paul

I was looking at the GV as a tow car. The max. towing weight quoted to me by dealer was 1650Kg. I didnt ask about nose weights etc.

Also whilst in the caravan this summer the people in the pitch next to us had a GV for towing. They were very impressed with it - had it several years with no probs whatsoever.

Also since you are from NI - petersons dealers in Bangor are doing a deal at the minute on new GV's.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Lee

Hi Paul

I was looking at the GV as a tow car. The max. towing weight quoted to me by dealer was 1650Kg. I didnt ask about nose weights etc.

Also whilst in the caravan this summer the people in the pitch next to us had a GV for towing. They were very impressed with it - had it several years with no probs whatsoever.

Also since you are from NI - petersons dealers in Bangor are doing a deal at the minute on new GV's.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Lee

39698[/snapback]

Hi Lee, thanks for the reply. Was over at SMW and the new 3dr is discounted by £2000 due to the new model arriving, which incidently isn't available in diesel yet. Like the idea of a new one as apposed to a 2yr old model plus giving me the most so far for my Laguna. Off work at the moment so I will continue to look around. I live close to Donnellys in Mullusk so maybe take a trip up there later. The weight issue isn't a problem with the van that I have for either model so I guess I just have to make my mind up which to go for. :o

Thanks,

Paul. :o

Paul

I have the 5 door and find it a good tow car, the nose weight max is 80kg. A neighbour has the 3 door and although they don't have kids, they say they wish they had got the 5 door for extra space, ease of access etc. It is certainly not in the league of a lancruiser etc but tows well and is easy on diesel driving solo. I think there is a new shape coming out soon so if you are looking at new it may be worth holding off until the new model is out or drive a hard bargain for the current shape.

Cheers

fatcol

Paul

I have the 5 door and find it a good tow car, the nose weight max is 80kg. A neighbour has the 3 door and although they don't have kids, they say they wish they had got the 5 door for extra space, ease of access etc. It is certainly not in the league of a lancruiser etc but tows well and is easy on diesel driving solo. I think there is a new shape coming out soon so if you are looking at new it may be worth holding off until the new model is out or drive a hard bargain for the current shape.

Cheers

fatcol

39701[/snapback]

Thanks fatcol,

Yes the new model is in the showroom but not available in diesel yet plus no doubt it will be over my budget. The dealer mentioned he was keen to deal before the end of the week to reach targets etc. so I know he will move on the price just the 5dr has 32000mls on the clock in 21months. Still not sure!

Thanks

Paul

My wife has a 3 door softtop Grand Vitara and its 85% weight is just over 1000kg. We found that it would be perfect for Mother in laws van, but no good for our one at 1462kgs :P

I still have the sheet from the caravan dealer with the exact details on somewhere. .. Can find it if your desperate!

My wife has a 3 door softtop Grand Vitara and its 85% weight is just over 1000kg.   We found that it would be perfect for Mother in laws van, but no good for our one at 1462kgs  :P

I still have the sheet from the caravan dealer with the exact details on somewhere. ..  Can find it if your desperate!

39707[/snapback]

Hi Gazhyde, thanks for the info, not desperate yet!! :)

Paul

Hi Paul

I have been towing for 2 years now with a 5 door 2. 0l petrol GV. I find it tows our Discovery 200 no problems. it is very stable. The hill climbing his amazing, especially this year down in Cornwall. We got lost and got in some tricky places. [sat nav for Christmas]. I have had a test drive this spring in a Suzuki chipped diesel and it really went. They have a new shape and diesel out, I believe it is a 1. 9 td. Im suprised they never went for a 2. 2 like Honda and Nissan. I have a Witter swan neck, plus a Alko hitch on the van which makes all the difference to the stability. All in all the 5 door with added weight would be the one to go with.

Regards Terry. :)

Hi Paul

I have been towing for 2 years now with a 5 door 2. 0l petrol GV. I find it tows our Discovery 200 no problems. it is very stable. The hill climbing his amazing, especially this year down in Cornwall. We got lost and got in some tricky places. [sat nav for Christmas]. I have had a test drive this spring in a Suzuki chipped diesel and it really went. They have a new shape and diesel out, I believe it is a 1. 9 td. Im suprised they never went for a 2. 2 like Honda and Nissan. I have a Witter swan neck, plus a Alko hitch on the van which makes all the difference to the stability. All in all the 5 door with added weight would be the one to go with.

39740[/snapback]

Hi Terry, thanks for that, i've been thinking all evening about it and am going to phone around a few more dealersin the morning to see what they have. I'm thinking more towards the 5dr now if I can find one with lower mileage. I'll see what tomorrow brings. BTW what mpg do you get with the 2. 0l petrol?

Thanks Paul

Hi Terry, thanks for that, i've been thinking all evening about it and am going to phone around a few more dealersin the morning to see what they have. I'm thinking more towards the 5dr now if I can find one with lower mileage. I'll see what tomorrow brings. BTW what mpg do you get with the 2. 0l petrol?

Thanks Paul

39761[/snapback]

Hi Paul

We get about 30-35 mpg on average. My wife drives it mainly to work etc, which is a round trip of about 30 miles on dual carriageways and country lanes. To give you some idea of the range of a tankful we left Oxford for Disney Paris [following my mad french son inlaw] it got us to Disney and we filled up about 30 miles from Paris going home. Not to bad but the diesel is 40 plus. Also the nose weight on ours is 75 kg. which I stick to. This summer when we went to Bude in Cornwall the distance after getting lost was about 240 miles and we had about just

quarter tank left.

• 3 weeks later...
Thats a fair bit of a difference!!

Steve

41458[/snapback]

Thats me! Go looking for one thing come home with something totally different! I have read alot of bad press on the Terrano hope I've done the right thing!

cheers Paul :o