Sign in to follow this  
gumdrop

Easy Walking Around Tavistock

I have had a major back operation and now wear two steel rods

in my back, I also have Arthritic hips. Believe it or not I have

always liked walking to watch wildlife and the big endless sky.

I am a bit limited nowadays as you can appreciate, but I have

a 4 year old pair of boots that are barely worn and I intend to

wear them out. We will be around Tavistock for a week at the

end of February. I can manage around 4 miles with stops.

Any ideas please (and the name of a 4x4 taxi company :) )

Edited by gumdrop

I live in the area but know it is quite hilly in places. You could drive to whitchurch common;there is a golf club there(tea later) and walk all over the common,its pretty big with wildlife. The common is on the edge of Tavy. Alternatively try the Granite way from Okehampton heading south. Park at okehampton station and follow the old railway track until you want to turn round. The track has a gentle incline and is easy walking. Another might be- park at Princetown and follow the footpath to Kings tor which again follows an old rail track and is easy. Old Yelverton airfield is another easy way to exercise. It covers a large area and again you can walk until you have had enough. All of these are easy to locate on a map or web search. Hope you have a agood time and the weather is kind

Just had another idea. Drive to Burrator reservoir park(easy) and walk the complete circumfrence approx 3. 5 -4 miles. easy walk and on Dartmoor about 20 mins from Tavy. There usually is an ice cream van there. Decent pub in Meavy village Royal oak

Thank you very much sureflow local knowledge is invaluable :)

You can drive to Lydford where you can pick up The Granite Way, which will take you all the way to Okehampton if you want with fabulous moorland views. You will also pass a big red brick farmhouse on the way where we lived for 20 years, which we miss terribly :(

There are various publications on easy walks and I've got some kicking about in my office somewhere (which currently looks like it's been hit by an earthquake). In the meantime, this link may be helpful http://www. dartmoor-npa. gov. uk/visiting/accessible-dartmoor along with the links from it.

The Tavistock Viaduct walk should be fine for you, and you need to explore Tavistock properly too. It's very interesting - you'll find the people in the Tourist Information Office very helpful. If you go into the church, look for the mouse, and also the happy and sad faces!

Sign in to follow this