Salt

meatloaf

HI THERE

A freind has ask me to find out about salt ?Very odd,but they reckon that you can get some sort of salt or crystal that you put in your van over the winter to prevent any damp accuring.

Has any one heard of this and where do i get it from

The crystals are actually silica gel which are an excellent moisture absorbant. I had a small pack in my 'van last winter but it's difficult to say whether it worked or not. The info supplied with the pack stated that it could be dried out in a domestic oven in about two hours at 100 degC. I'll put the pack in again this winter just in case. Didn't get any damp though so something worked.

JTS

We got something in Lidl yesterday. A container with 3 packets of dessicant crystals for £3:99. I've used the ones from Towsure and they seem to work very well, (Lidls' are cheaper but we'll see how they perform). As far as salt goes, just use normal cooking salt and half fill a dish with it. Change it when it goes solid. All these absorb moisture from the atmosphere when the 'van is closed up for the winter. Hope this helps.

Mikey :rolleyes:

I bought a couple of 1kg absorbent crystals from Towsure ( probably as JTS says silica gel) I used them last winter and every couple of months weighed them to see if they had absorbed anything. They did soak up about 1/2 pint each ( weighed before drying) at each dry out and I put them in the oven at a little over 100'C to dry out and re-energise, sounds better doesn't it. I think I dried them 3 times and had the heating on once a month to keep the van warmed.

I have just re-dried them and put them in again for this winter.

For those who have CC magazine access this months issue has an article about someone who uses a de-humidifier and soaked up I think 55 pints over the winter.

There could be several reasons for that amount I guess.

Another friend of mine has been trying to dry his wet van out for a few months now with a de-humidifier and does not seem to be pulling the water out of the polystyrene and linings successfully.

Common salt I believe is also hygroscopic ( absorbs moisture ) and some people do use that as an alternative.

Bob

Weve used plain old cooking salt for two years now, not a problem to be seen. You may have to empty out very damp salt, but depending on the ambient weather and temp, you may find it dries its self, then absorbs again when the moisture rises. We use any old butter cartons or such like, although for those of us who can afford it, use Tupperware or similar (without the Lids LOL)

Nigel.

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

about someone who uses a de-humidifier

40053[/snapback]

I also use a small dehumidifier in my van, since I have it parked alongside the house. It's been running now for a couple of weeks and every five or six days, I empty out about a pint. I keep windows and vents closed but fixed ventilation is left.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Last winter we had no problems with damp by

1. bringing the cushions in doors over winter

2. a large bowl of good old fashioned (and cheap) salt replaced after 2 months

2. opened windows and sun roof every 4 weeks or so when we had a dry sunny day

Regards

NRF

If you used your caravan throughout the winter you would not have to waste time and money putting salt into the carvan. Personally I think it is a total waste of time and an old wife's tale because you are trying to dry the atmosphere which is a physical impossibility. However if you chose to block up all the ventilation holes in the carvan then is might work.

Personally I think it is a total waste of time  and an old wife's tale because you are trying to dry the atmosphere which is a physical impossibility.

40213[/snapback]

I disagree! The old wife’s tale lies in the believe that those who use salt, drying crystals, dehumidifiers, or any other method, are wasting their time by removing the humidity from their caravans. “They are trying to dry out the atmosphereâ€. “They are attempting to dry the worldâ€. Or so the stories go!

I have two identical hygrometers that I have previously calibrated against each other. Since we returned with the caravan a couple of weeks ago, I’ve had a dehumidifier running on a time clock in the van. One of the hygrometers is in the van. The other is outside under the carport where the van is standing. At this moment, the van hygrometer registers 70%, whilst the one outside reads 90%. (The Internet weather pages confirm that humidity is indeed currently 93% in London.) In humidity terms any reading between 45% and 70% is regarded as ‘normal’.

Now I’m not saying that some damp air will not make its way into the van through the fixed ventilators, but neither do I believe that it’s a waste of time to do everything possible to reduce the humidity in there. After all, the heat in our homes dissipate through the floor, walls and ceilings, but nobody in their right minds would see that as a reason to turn the central heating off.

Why don't you use salt in your house to dry it out and prevent condensation building up. The only bit I go along with is using a de-humidifier. Why only use salt in the winter. Why don't you use it in the summer when the humidity sky rockets.

It is exactly the same thing therefore an old wive's tale, but if people are happy using salt and wasting their time, then it is their perogative and if it keeps them happy then I am happy for them!

Why don't you use salt in your house to dry it out and prevent condensation building up.   The only bit I go along with is using a de-humidifier.

40298[/snapback]

But we use a dehumidifier in the house. It’s permanently switched on but controlled by a humidistat set at 70. Most of the time it’s not working, but on some days, both summer and winter, it’s busy for several hours at a time.

Why only use salt in the winter. Why don't you use it in the summer when the humidity sky rockets.

Agreed! Sometimes in summer, humidity can be high, but because surfaces, both in the home and in the caravan are warmer, condensation isn’t such a problem. In addition, ventilation is usually greater.

Thanks all for your comments

as this van is a 6 berth static, we are going to opt for the de humidifier

pluged into a timer unit so that it comes on say twice a week

As this van or planted house that i call it, is 75 miles away then my mate has to go down there and empty the dam thing

why he cant have a normal van like the rest of us? then he would not have this problem

GET IT ON THE BACK*** LETS TOUR THE WORLD

THANKS ALL :lol:

Archived