Aquaroll

FionaY

Can anybody advise the best way to store an Aquaroll when it isn't going to be used for some time? Is it best to empty it as best you can and then try and dry it out with a hairdryer (my husband's idea), or should you store it full of water with sterilising fluid? Just trying to avoid mouldiness or whatever.

Thanks

Fiona

We use our van for 2 to 3 months during the winter, however for short term storage, I leave about a pint of water in the Aquarolls with a shot of Milton. When I remember, I give them a shake.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

We just store ours empty, but make sure the lid is not screwed on.

Before we use them again, I rinse them out with boiling water. I never use any sterilising fluid, as I can always taste it afterwards, no matter what I do.

We always leave them empty, with the lids off :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Rinse,

allow to dry

unscrew caps and partially cover (to avoid spiders etc entering) :o

store in a dry place

Before use next time, fill to just over half, add a very small amount of Milton and sterilise for half an hour. Then turn upside down and sterilise for another half hour. Rinse thoroughly and you're ready to go.

My father does this and he's had the same Aquaroll for twenty-odd years, and has never had a problem with mould, taste, funny smells etc.

:)

We intend to use our caravan all year round, although we won't use it as frequently in the winter months. The longest I envisage it going without use is about 6 weeks. Do we need to take any special measures regarding the aquaroll?

We give it a rinse every time we use it, but between times it sits in the caravan in a bag. ...

HI Jim,

I'd not bother to cover it with the bag - I think the key to keeping it clean is to keep it dry and allow air to enter to avoid staleness. I left mine for over a month a short while back with no problems at all, so I think 6 weeks or so without use won't do any harm.

My Mam and Dad were always 'summer caravanners' and as a result their 'van was stored in the garage at the bottom of the garden during the autumn and winter months. I got the impression that FionaY was talking about winter storage, therefore my suggestions earlier are aimed with longer-term storage particularly in mind.

With best regards,

I use my van all year but saw a tip thats probably quite good.

Leave the aquaroll empty with the lid off but put an old stocking (or new :D ) over the entrance to stop creepy crawlies getting in.

Lid off leaves it fresher :rolleyes:

We intend to use our caravan all year round, although we won't use it as frequently in the winter months.   The longest I envisage it going without use is about 6 weeks.   Do we need to take any special measures regarding the aquaroll?

We give it a rinse every time we use it, but between times it sits in the caravan in a bag. ...

39651[/snapback]

HI Jim,

I'd not bother to cover it with the bag - I think the key to keeping it clean is to keep it dry and allow air to enter to avoid staleness. I left mine for over a month a short while back with no problems at all, so I think 6 weeks or so without use won't do any harm.

My Mam and Dad were always 'summer caravanners' and as a result their 'van was stored in the garage at the bottom of the garden during the autumn and winter months. I got the impression that FionaY was talking about winter storage, therefore my suggestions earlier are aimed with longer-term storage particularly in mind.

With best regards,

39657[/snapback]

The bag isn't there to protect the aquaroll, it's to protect the caravan interior from the aquaroll that's been sat outside in a muddy field all weekend :D

Leave the aquaroll empty with the lid off but put an old stocking (or new  :D ) over the entrance to stop creepy crawlies getting in.

Lid off leaves it fresher  :rolleyes:

This sounds a good idea, hadn't really thought about leaving the lid off.

Thanks for all the advice everybody, now taken!

Unfortunately my husband goes to sea for a living so we have to have longish spells when we aren't using the 'van.

It's great to have such good and good-natured advice on tap. I love this forum, and I hope I'll be able to give advice too sometime!

Fiona