Sorento Voted Towcar Of The Year Monday September

Road Runner

The Sorento 2. 5 CRDi XE model beat off more than 40 competitors including the BMW X5, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Range Rover Sport, Nissan Navara and the Volvo XC 70 to pick up the coveted title of Towcar of the Year 2006.

The judges not only gave it consistently high marks on the move but also praised its "caravanability", its low running costs and its load space. They added: "Sorento won friends for its faultless stability and the way it handled. A stylish and superb towcar".

Another Kia, the C-segment Cerato 1. 5 CRDi GS model also won top marks in the Under Ј13,500 category.

Extensively tested over four days by a panel of expert judges the Kia models beat off their competitors in areas such as driveability, practicality, stability, comfort and value.

Kia Motors UK Ltd Managing Director, Paul Williams, said: "These awards are a tremendously important endorsement of what we at Kia already knew - we are offering motorists excellent products at unbeatable value."

Did the running costs take into account the depreciation on Kia cars?

If it did I'm impressed if not . .................

Pete

39583[/snapback]

Caravan clubs car of the year too!

BTW:- X Trail nice car but not man enough to take my van :rolleyes:

Did the running costs take into account the depreciation on Kia cars

Pete

The TOY competition does not even take into account economy, let alone depreciation!! Like you I have the X-Trail and find it a superb towcar but if I had a much heavier van I would have to review my options and the Sorento would be one of them. As far as depreciation is concerned I have never had a car that did not suffer horrendous loss on the original retail value, so I am waiting to be surprised! I am puzzled why the X has not done better in TOY in the past as they are increasingly the towcar of choice for a lot of people. On one site in Germany recently I counted 4 X-Trails, one was Dutch who are not renown for buying bigger tow cars!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Pete

The TOY competition does not even take into account economy, let alone depreciation!! Like you I have the X-Trail and find it a superb towcar but if I had a much heavier van I would have to review my options and the Sorento would be one of them. As far as depreciation is concerned I have never had a car that did not suffer horrendous loss on the original retail value, so I am waiting to be surprised! I am puzzled why the X has not done better in TOY in the past as they are increasingly the towcar of choice for a lot of people. On one site in Germany recently I counted 4 X-Trails, one was Dutch who are not renown for buying bigger tow cars!

David

39598[/snapback]

It seemed to do quite well in my opinion and I have pasted a few quotes below:-

The Kia Sorento 2. 5 CRDi XE won two Class awards and went on to victory to claim the overall title of Caravan Club Towcar of the Year 2006.

During the testing, ‘caravanability’ judges also appraised the cars on their ability to accommodate large, bulky loads such as water carriers and awning bags. They also checked for ease of access to electrics sockets, the cars’ attitude when hitched and provision, or not, of a dedicated caravan breakaway-cable attachment point.

Overall Winner and Winner £16,501 to £20,000 Class and

All Wheel Drive Over 1800KG Class

KIA SORENTO 2. 5 CRDi XE

The new Caravan Club Towcar of the Year got consistently high marks from the driving judges, but the observations of the ‘caravanability’ judges really tipped the balance: a 112kg noseweight limit with only a small drop when the caravan was attached, low running costs, a proper attachment point for the breakaway cable and full marks for load space. On the test track the Sorento won friends for its faultless stability and the way it handled. Coil-spring suspension soaks up the bumps for a comfortable ride. Maximum torque from the recently reworked 2. 5-litre engine is 253lb ft, available from just 1850rpm, and the five-speed gearbox, with switchable high/low ratio, is well mated. A stylish and superb towcar.

CC Magazine arrived today. It was good to see, what looks like. the full report, could be wrong as I have not read it yet. We usually have to wait until the following month to get the full details.

I think its great that the Sorento has won, its a nice car and was on the list when we got the X-Trail. It did seem a bit bigger than the X and I had quite a time convincing Margaret that we should have a 4X4, she is still not very comfortable about driving it but will if she has to!!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

CC Magazine arrived today. It was good to see, what looks like. the full report, could be wrong as I have not read it yet. We usually have to wait until the following month to get the full details.

I think its great that the Sorento has won, its a nice car and was on the list when we got the X-Trail. It did seem a bit bigger than the X and I had quite a time convincing Margaret that we should have a 4X4, she is still not very comfortable about driving it but will if she has to!!

David

39964[/snapback]

David - I have the same problem with Karin (my wife) she loves our Peugeot BUT I want something beefier.

I would love to buy British, or even European however for the sort of spec offered by the Sorento it would cost upwards of £35,000 - so convince Karin we need a new car and that it would cost £35,000 - I think a snowball in hell would have a better chance of surviving :o

I quite like the Hyundai Santa Fe but must confess the higher towing spec of the Sorento appeals - but I just can not understand why they have to give them these weird names! B)

At last a TOY that can handle any four berth caravan. Last year's Mazda was almost incapable of towing a recent model four berth within the 85% rule (1280kg = 85%, Caravan Magazine figure). Where's the comparison in this year's £16501-20000 class between the Sorento's 1826kg caravan and the Focus's 1128kg tow? How many mid-range vans are 1128kg?? I think that this 'competition' should be more responsible and base its results on the weight of caravan being towed not price ranges i. e. kerb weight v kerb weight, not £ v £. Value for Money would then become an issue.

John

What sort of economy do you get with the Sorento when towing? Also be interested in your view of solo driving. The X is quite car like to drive and surprisingly swift. I just want to know what I might let my self in for if I were the change in 18 months time!!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels