Sign in to follow this  
Easy T

Electric Heaters In Awnings

No. If you want to discuss that start another thread. Unless the OP wants his thread highjacking.

In fairness, it's part of the same argument that most people here are using regarding waste of energy. People are saying it's unfair on fuel costs so if people are saying sites will recoup the costs in the summer, how will they if people are using aircon in the summer?

To be honest aircon is a fair point if left on when nobody is in to benefit. However relatively few outfits have aircon. Also how many days (even in 'summer) is it required

To be honest aircon is a fair point if left on when nobody is in to benefit. However relatively few outfits have aircon. Also how many days (even in 'summer) is it required

Both of them :huh:

Both of them :huh:

Thai's what I thought

I'll probably get flak for this too. ... but IMHO. ... it's just as bad as electric heating in the awning.

I can see no reason other than selfishness for anyone to use electricity (be it on heaters or aircon) inside or out when people are not in attendance!

I've seen Halogen Heaters glowing in awnings all day when no one is in the awning and aircon whirring away in 'vans when everyone is on the beach!!!

Unbelievable/disgraceful!

As I said just MHO!

G. (off to get my tin hat!!!).

Edited by chapmag

I agree with you Chapmag.

The exception was Christmas 2010 when I opened the front under bunk lockers and used 1KW of fan heater and 2 KW of blown air after we pitched up and went out for 4 hours. Having set up we found the internal water pipes frozen (either before we set off or on route).When we came back we had water.

I'll probably get flak for this too. ... but IMHO. ... it's just as bad as electric heating in the awning.

I can see no reason other than selfishness for anyone to use electricity (be it on heaters or aircon) inside or out when people are not in attendance!

I've seen Halogen Heaters glowing in awnings all day when no one is in the awning and aircon whirring away in 'vans when everyone is on the beach!!!

Unbelievable/disgraceful!

As I said just MHO!

G. (off to get my tin hat!!!).

I was under the impression that an aircon used a hell of lot less electric than a fan heater. In addition, an air con is temperature regulated in that it switches itself off and on as the temperature fluctuates. In a normal caravan you would have the Heiki or even the fan on the heater operating to circulate the cool air anyway.

I was under the impression that an aircon used a hell of lot less electric than a fan heater. In addition, an air con is temperature regulated in that it switches itself off and on as the temperature fluctuates. In a normal caravan you would have the Heiki or even the fan on the heater operating to circulate the cool air anyway.

I believe Aircon can use a lot of power, anything between 600 and 1. 6kw of 230v and it is thermostatically controlled just as an electric fan heater.

On our CL I have just worked out the power used over January per van day at £ 2. 33 . We had 3 vans on site durring the month one new Baily the others older types, none had awanings, and January was not realy cold, It will be interesting to see the usage this month as we have 3 on site this week and 5 inches of snow.

Hmmm. Good advice. Other good advice to avoid "wastefull" activities might be: avoid drink, going on holiday, putting a light on anywhere, street lighting, watching any type of sport, eating more than 1100 calories day, buying fashionable clothes, washing more than twice a week, buying any car other than one of 800cc, caravaning maybe, boating, dreaming of a better life, reading my posts, riding a bike, keeping a pet, having any type of hobby, telling jokes, having children, decorating your home, buying non functional furniture or artifacts, going to the theatre or cinema, buying DVDs, renting broadband or Sky TV, climbing mountains, exploring, space travel, doing jigsaws etc,

The point is that we all have choices and exercise our choices in different ways and at any time of the day we are all using varying amounts of energy. You have a perfect right to put your gloves on and go inside your caravan. I have the right to put my heating on and sit naked if I wish. (please don't try to picture this). Please leave the rest of us alone to waste our lives away doing activities that you may not approve of.

Vectra I'm with you on this

Maybe lifes interferers can start a comptetion called I USE LESS ELECTRICTY THAN YOU the winner gets an awning heater. Sorry couldn't resist that one

Over the years caravanning I've found many poeple who are very opinionated and don't like people who don't agree with what they think or do, I call them the control freaks of life :P As you said lifes to short we're only here once, so we should enjoy it.

Back to the subject, I use an awning heater at times when I'm in the awning when its cold, I have 2 dogs which get wet and muddy on their holidays, I dry them with towels and give them a heat before they are allowed into the caravan :D BTW when I use my awning it has a carpet, I will apologise for hurting the grass :rolleyes:

I think it is unsafe to leave a heater on all day with the awning unattended and also wasteful.

I don't think for one second that if awning heaters were banned the pitch prices would drop, the people who do need to visit the doctor for some medication. Caravan sites are not charities and they wouldn't drop the price anyway. Be careful what you wish for

Enjoy and each to their own

I think it is unsafe to leave a heater on all day with the awning unattended and also wasteful.

So where's the argument? I think that you have slated others who merely agreed with what you have just said. cheesy.gif

Sign in to follow this