Sign in to follow this  
Easy T

Electric Heaters In Awnings

To all who propose metering of electricity use this will result in increased site fees. The cost of installing meters and reading them has to be recouped by the site owner.

Somw sites use a prepayed card and you insert it at the power bollar and their is no meter to read .

same sort of system that the electric suppliers use for cardmeter payment. that is topped up at reception on site

Dave

Somw sites use a prepayed card and you insert it at the power bollar and their is no meter to read .

same sort of system that the electric suppliers use for cardmeter payment. that is topped up at reception on site

Dave

at last some sense this is the way i meant, the initial outlay recouped by less needless waste

Edited by Doinmebest

I must admit that we do have a fan heater and do use it in the awning but try to be as considerate as possible.

We only use it when we are actually sat in the awning and therefore the van heater is off anyway. When using the fan heater in the awning we find the heat goes into the van anyway. I have never left the heater on when we are not in the awning for safety reasons as well. I did leave the heater on once while I popped across to the toilet block and when I came back it was on it's side, one of the dogs must have knocked it over. Just proves how quickly an accident can happen.

In the Winter we tend to not use an awning and if we do it's just for storage. We sit inside the van with the door closed and the van heater on low. The fan heater is great on low in the awning in the spring/summer during the evening to give a little backround heat if we are sat there.

What really shocked me this year :- a neighbouring van had a large full awning up. They had various towels etc hanging over the awning poles to dry. There was a halogen heater on underneath these towels for the whole day while the owners were out. It was a windy day and therefore the awning was moving a little. One of the towels dropped off the pole ontop of the heater. Without delay I unplugged their EHU and reported to the site owner. I wasn't going to enter their awning as the finger pointing would start. The site owner then appeared and they also decided not to go into the awning due to liability etc but kept the EHU unplugged for the whole day. When they returned I was expecting problems but they seemed understanding and the following day it didn't happen.

It just concerns me what would have happened if I hadn't noticed it.

Ian

at last some sense this is the way i meant, the initial outlay recouped by less needless waste

Though the costs would take a long time to re-coup if the pitch fees were reduced.

No, sorry, as said by others on here they are not paying for it, we all are. Every time I read on here of moans because site fees are going up I think of all the people I have seen heating their awnings and think that is one of the primary reasons why. I can understand the idea that perhaps individual meters are the way forward but it seems to be a very expensive way of dealing with who I regard as the selfish few.

So were all paying for it what difference does that make ?.As long as were all paying the same price whats the problem ?,To call someone selfish because he or she uses more than you think they should is narrow minded and quite frankly none of your business. Once you have paid for your pitch you are entitled too use the full amperage allocated.

peter.

We saw a similar thing year before last also with a halogen heater. The neighbouring van had pulled out the EHU. When the van owners came back they were furious, even after the neighbour explained (and they had a slightly scorched towel) - I think that these heaters will cut out when covered. They had set the video to record something on TV and it would have been stopped. :)

. Also surprised at the number of van's on a cloudy winters day with main top light open.

Ours is always open slightly to prevent condensation build up.

So were all paying for it what difference does that make ?.As long as were all paying the same price whats the problem ?,To call someone selfish because he or she uses more than you think they should is narrow minded and quite frankly none of your business. Once you have paid for your pitch you are entitled too use the full amperage allocated

The problem is, as has been stated very clearly already, that by being irresponsible it costs us all more than it should.

If everyone had the greedy selfish attitude that a few people have, how long, before fees shot up beyond a lot of peoples means

Sadly when I see heating on in an awning all day in summer and the people are out - yes I have seen it - they are not paying for it. We all are. Too me it smacks of waste. Why heat an unused awning other than out of bloody mindedness?

I THINK ITS A TYPICAL CASE OF I HAVE PAID FOR ELECTRIC HOOK UP SO I AM USING AS MUCH AS I CAN. NO WONDER THE SITE FEES KEEP GOING UP THEN IT SPOILS IT FOR US THAT ARE MORE CONSIDERATE.

I would be happy to be charged for electric units (provided they dropped site fees first) but there must be a considerable cost involved in metering.

Doubt if they woudl drop thier pitch fees if they introduced metering. Meters can be bought for about £1120 and fitted by a local sparkie providing they are after the main meter, but then ther is the issue of monitoring them. Toekn meters are another option, but by law if you have any credit left on your token the owner is obliged to refund you if you ask for it. Who says the neighbour is not going to plug in an appliance while youare out enjoying yourself. i. e. a hairdryer?

Personally I would rather avoid sites that go down the metering route as ther are too many variables and besides we do not abuse the system and have fan heaters running in our awning. When we lived in our caravan permanently we had a gas fire in the awning and never used a fan heater.

Personally I feel going out al day with awning heater on is taking the P

HERE HERE AND THE WARDENS SHOULD ADVERTISE THE FACT THAT ANY FIRES FOUND TO BE ON WHILST THE CARAVAN WAS UNOCCUPIED WOULD BE DISCONNECTED FROM THE HOOK UP!

Ours is always open slightly to prevent condensation build up.

No problem and yes there is a ventilation setting. But when I see them wide and it is 1C outside and no cooking it is a different matter I think.

I presume most posts are referring to the winter months! Less extra warmth required in the summer.

I pay 4 euros a day for 16amp in the South of France. That runs a fridge, a few lights, sometimes a Slow Cooker. Quite a healthy profit I imagine and the site is not open during the colder months!

The problem is, as has been stated very clearly already, that by being irresponsible it costs us all more than it should.

Please explain how a person is being "irresponsible" because he/she uses more electricity than you think they should.

peter.

I presume most posts are referring to the winter months! Less extra warmth required in the summer.

I pay 4 euros a day for 16amp in the South of France. That runs a fridge, a few lights, sometimes a Slow Cooker. Quite a healthy profit I imagine and the site is not open during the colder months!

Hi,

I have 16 amp hook-ups and charge 5 euros per day, and no it is not a healthy profit by any means, you would be surpised the amount of "extra" electrical kit that gets used. The only problem I have is when people go out for the day leaving heaters on when they go out (fire risk).

I once had to rescue some pets that had been left for the day in an awning. ....80+ outside, a lot more inside but had left a heater on fan only!!!! the only problem was it was so hot in the awning that the fan was overheating and the pets were very distressed! They eventually escaped from their awning!!

I got them sorted (shade and water) and informed the owners upon return. At first the reaction was not very good to say the least. But understood when they saw the distress of their animals, very apologetic. The rest of their holiday their pets went out too, after all it was their holiday as well.

If you go out for the day, turn off heaters in awnings, there is absolutely no need for it at all, or throughout the night also. By all means when you return and want to relax in your awning and feel a chill in the air why not, you are on site to supervise and react to unforseen problems. I would do the same when we are away in our van.

As to installing pay as you go meters, perhaps this has a place with the big commercial sites but with a CL type site, I feel a more relaxed approach is more beneficial and reciprocated by all.

Regards

M

Edited by MDM

I spoke with somebody at site about this issue at Christmas and he said that he leaves his awning fan heater on permanently as it stopped condensation and moisture build up in the awning and made it easier to pack away. He said it also allowed them to store some clothing etc in the awning without issue.

I'm curious as to why people think that prices would be reduced if the electric was metered - I'm sure any money that would be saved on the ummetered price would simply be added to the profit side of the ledger.

I don'[t think that many see reduced prices. I think that many feel that if folk leave 2KW heating in their awning and go out for the day that prices will go up.

I stayed on a site near Milnethorpe some years ago. It was a commercial site with a club house but everywhere else was booked up. Each pitch had an electricity meter adjacent. I felt like I was paying for the whole sites electric feeding 50pence pieces in at frequent intervals. I swear I put £7 in on one day. i was not using OTT heating.

I know that charging for electric has changed but we should still be careful what we wish for

<h3>

I find the above comments very interesting, as I have said we have 3 hook ups with metres, these are not as you would find in your  home, its fitted on the Din rail in the box and is wired in the wiring system that supplies the socket, there is a window in the box for reading the meter. If I recall the additional cost to use was about £45 per outlet, As to date we are using these to ***** usage. To date this has been between £1. 50 to £3 per day per van, Being a commercial user we pay less than many households if we did this would be much higher,</h3>

<h3>

I will follow this thread with interest</h3>

<p> </p>

That sounds reasonable levels. What time of year do these readings cover?

We are new to this caravaning lark. However we do enjoy a full 16Amps. That equates to the heater at 2kW on first arrival (getting the caravan up to 20C) and a kettle. Once we have stayed at a site with only 10Amps. Every time we tried to boil a kettle with the heating on the 10Amp trip did it's job. Very annoying. If we wanted to live frugally we would have bought a tent! However we did use a full bottle of gas in 3 days. Electricity is much much cheaper than LPG.

However heaters in the awning is just bonkers.

We are new to this caravaning lark. However we do enjoy a full 16Amps. That equates to the heater at 2kW on first arrival (getting the caravan up to 20C) and a kettle. Once we have stayed at a site with only 10Amps. Every time we tried to boil a kettle with the heating on the 10Amp trip did it's job. Very annoying. If we wanted to live frugally we would have bought a tent! However we did use a full bottle of gas in 3 days. Electricity is much much cheaper than LPG.

However heaters in the awning is just bonkers.

Full bottle of gas :o :o :o

What size bottles are you using? - I use 10Kg bottles and I have used just over one a year so far.

Full bottle of gas :o :o :o

What size bottles are you using? - I use 10Kg bottles and I have used just over one a year so far.

We took to boiling the kettle wih gas. 6KG propane lasted about a week if the truth be known (we stayed 5 night in derbyshire over Christmas and it was quite cold). We did slow roast in the oven quite a lot though.

However I stand by electricity still being cheaper than LPG.

Sign in to follow this