Sign in to follow this  
Easy T

Electric Heaters In Awnings

I don't normally consider using a fan heater in the awning. I did do a few times this year though. The Christmas before last we had a porch awning up. We did see a few vans with heaters burning day and night in the awnings! As it was below - 10C some nights we just used the awning for additional food storage and some veg prep. Also kept the drinks very cool
:)
It was nice sat well wrapped up outside the van in the afternoon sun.

This year it was mild but without that lovely afternoon sun. Having been out from about 9am till 2pm I did use a fan heater for a couple of hours in the awning during the afternoon. This was probably on 5 nicer afternoons of the 10 nights we were away. I suspect this used about 50p per afternoon although the heating in the van was only on 500Watts and about 63 degrees. we had a full awning up and rather than trying to heat it all I made sure that at the end of the awning adjacent to the caravan door the awning flaps were weighted down inside with plastic milk bottles filled with water. In that end 6 foot or so of the awning it was very pleasant to sit (with tea shirt, thin sleevless top and thin sweater, sometimes a thicker sleevless on top) to do the crossword and have a drink. Come 4 O'clock fan heater off - into van and turn up the heat with 1KW and just 500W over night.

All in all I suspect we averaged less than 1KW (taking account of fridge and water heater over a 24 hour period and the van heating on 500K much of the time - but I suspect that that may cost about £3.

Compare that to some vans using probably 2KW in the awning day and night and probably another KW in the van. Then you are talking closer to £10 a day. As I said earlier I rarely use a heater iin the awning at Christmas and never at other times of the year but seeing heater on day and night in some awnings at winter and used by some extensively in the summer I can see some sites banning there use. I have even seen heaters on in porch awnings that are not used other than as an entry porch and presumably a little storage,

. Also surprised at the number of van's on a cloudy winters day with main top light open.
Edited by Easy T

Its Okay the people leaving the fires running all day we subsidised in the summer when we were paying about £3 a night extra for electric pitch and using next none being light evenings and hot weather . Some sites will ask you to leave as its dangerous to have a fire in a awning and they see at a waste of electric .

IMO electric should be metered or charged at different rates for summer and winter .

Dave

if sites dont want you too use too much electricity then they should lower the amperage otherwise i dont see any problem with the amount used by anyone.

peter.

if sites dont want you too use too much electricity then they should lower the amperage otherwise i dont see any problem with the amount used by anyone.

peter.

Yes and No. I don't understand why folk leave heating on day and night in an awning and don't use the awning to sit in.

Yes and No. I don't understand why folk leave heating on day and night in an awning and don't use the awning to sit in.

Its down too personnal choice and the fact that they are paying for it anyway.

peter.

Sadly when I see heating on in an awning all day in summer and the people are out - yes I have seen it - they are not paying for it. We all are. Too me it smacks of waste. Why heat an unused awning other than out of bloody mindedness?

Whilst we were on the C & C. C. site at Cannock Chase we saw an awning on an Eriba Puck with one of those Halogen heaters on day and night, they even tied back the door sometimes and left the heater on. I think that site managers/owners should do a patrol and have a quiet word with such people, after all isn't looking after the environment part of what we stand for? Regards. ..Peter

Its down too personnal choice and the fact that they are paying for it anyway. peter.

AS said they are not paying for it we all are . Leaving a fire on all day uses far more electric than they are paying for per night . The site bills for electric are adveraged out over the year and we are paying in the summer for the cost of electric.

I bet they dont use a 3 kw fire all day at home .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Simple answer meter all sites:) gets my vote watch um all turn the heaters off then.

This is one of my bugbears ! We don't use an awning in winter except at Christmas (when we have 3 times as much stuff as normal and need somewhere to put it) ! Why anyone would want to heat an awning at all is beyond me. If it's cold - go inside !

Anyway - Christmas just gone - I wrap the left over turkey up in silver foil and leave it on the table in the awning overnight ! The table also has a few bottles keeping cool outside. Next morning - half eaten remains of turkey is on the floor ! Lots of little muddy footprints on the table !! Looked like very small cats paws ?! So I peeled all the meat off the bones and left it in the roasting dish on the floor the following night. All gone in the morning. Happy Christmas little creatures ! But no turkey sandwiches for us this year !!! :)

Moral of story - don't leave food in awning whether heated or otherwise !! Doh ! :wub:

Edited by Shirl250

I don't normally consider using a fan heater in the awning. I did do a few times this year though. The Christmas before last we had a porch awning up. We did see a few vans with heaters burning day and night in the awnings! As it was below - 10C some nights we just used the awning for additional food storage and some veg prep. Also kept the drinks very cool
:)
It was nice sat well wrapped up outside the van in the afternoon sun.
This year it was mild but without that lovely afternoon sun. Having been out from about 9am till 2pm I did use a fan heater for a couple of hours in the awning during the afternoon. This was probably on 5 nicer afternoons of the 10 nights we were away. I suspect this used about 50p per afternoon although the heating in the van was only on 500Watts and about 63 degrees. we had a full awning up and rather than trying to heat it all I made sure that at the end of the awning adjacent to the caravan door the awning flaps were weighted down inside with plastic milk bottles filled with water. In that end 6 foot or so of the awning it was very pleasant to sit (with tea shirt, thin sleevless top and thin sweater, sometimes a thicker sleevless on top) to do the crossword and have a drink. Come 4 O'clock fan heater off - into van and turn up the heat with 1KW and just 500W over night.
All in all I suspect we averaged less than 1KW (taking account of fridge and water heater over a 24 hour period and the van heating on 500K much of the time - but I suspect that that may cost about £3.
Compare that to some vans using probably 2KW in the awning day and night and probably another KW in the van. Then you are talking closer to £10 a day. As I said earlier I rarely use a heater iin the awning at Christmas and never at other times of the year but seeing heater on day and night in some awnings at winter and used by some extensively in the summer I can see some sites banning there use. I have even seen heaters on in porch awnings that are not used other than as an entry porch and presumably a little storage,
. Also surprised at the number of van's on a cloudy winters day with main top light open.

£10 a day ? If not more.

Using 3kw for a 24hr period uses 72 kw/hr (72 units) . The price of commercial rate electric is about 15p a unit +VAT.

It is possible that people are using nearly £100 a week in electric on site .

So next time you hear people say "i have payed for it i m going to use it " remember they have not we all have.

Dave

I think we are singing out of the same hymn sheet Dave.

Simple answer meter all sites:) gets my vote watch um all turn the heaters off then.

+1

I would be happy to be charged for electric units (provided they dropped site fees first) but there must be a considerable cost involved in metering.

I am 100% for metered EHUs, we tour a lot across the Channel and it is quite surprising how many sites are changing over to meters

Technically all sites should be metered because they cannot charge more for the electric than they are charged by the electric supplier, it was a law brought in to stop rogue landlords charging huge amounts for electric used in rental properties but it does also cover caravan sites. So, because of this those sites that are not metered will advertise their rates as inclusive of electric instead of daily rate for electric.

This has been discussed before this previous year. .and probably before that too. .....

I have a CL adjacent to me and the owners increased their charges by £3 a night last year due to the number of caravanners who not only had heating on in the awning but went out and left it on all day. .....................'but we have paid for it' was the cry!

I ran a company with 250,000 sq. ft of space. ..did we heat any of it, No,you heat the man not the space.

geoff

Its down too personnal choice and the fact that they are paying for it anyway.

peter.

No, sorry, as said by others on here they are not paying for it, we all are. Every time I read on here of moans because site fees are going up I think of all the people I have seen heating their awnings and think that is one of the primary reasons why.

I can understand the idea that perhaps individual meters are the way forward but it seems to be a very expensive way of dealing with who I regard as the selfish few.

Personally I feel going out al day with awning heater on is taking the P

I don't use CL's these days but used them extensively in the past. I found the owners friendly hospitable folk who made an effort. I would have been horrified at the thought of leaving an awning heater on to heat their plot.

I would love to give a site owners view on this subject but I won't, but it does niggle me more than somewhat when people abuse the system.

We are closed during the cold winter months (-14C ish forecast for the next few nights) so we don't normally see or hear people using awning heaters, but it is those large electric additional fridge boxes that we tend to notice positively screaming away because the owners have placed them in the hottest possible place !

Edited by bigjimmy

In the Summer my electric would be about 50p a day if that on a meter instead of £3 + per day .

Changing to smaller trips of 6 amp would solve some of the problem but then campers who do not abuse the system would be punished . I was told last year by one of the big commercial sites that all their trips are chganging from 16 amp to 6 amp.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

In the Summer my electric would be about 50p a day if that on a meter instead of £3 + per day .

Changing to smaller trips of 6 amp would solve some of the problem but then campers who do not abuse the system would be punished . I was told last year by one of the big commercial sites that all their trips are chganging from 16 amp to 6 amp.

Dave

They would not get my early spring, Winter or late Autumn custom. With the fridge, hot water heating that would leave a killowat for heating. Fine but to initially warm the van after being out all day or arriving on site in -4C etc I would want to put 2KW on to remove the chill. Also with one KW heating and other odds and ends I would have to remember to switch off the heating to plug in the kettle. (I know I could use gas but wouldn't want to on hook up. to other wise might as well be off hook up and charged less). Every time I forgot (quite often at my age ;) )I would trip the 6 amp. At the moment if anything tripped it would be the 13 amp in the caravan before the 16 amp at the bollard.

To all who propose metering of electricity use this will result in increased site fees. The cost of installing meters and reading them has to be recouped by the site owner.

To all who propose metering of electricity use this will result in increased site fees. The cost of installing meters and reading them has to be recouped by the site owner.

Quite so.

I don't see why sites can't charge out electricity with a seasonal adjustment as they do with their pitch prices anyway.

As far as heating awnings are concerned I don't see a problem with doing that as long as you're usuing it at the time. It's nice to come back to your pitch of an evening to a warm home but a simple timer is a cheap alternative to leaving the heater on all day.

Sign in to follow this