Live Neutral Reverse

NewRangerFamily

Hello all

I stayed away in the van this weekend at Home Farm near Weston Super Mare and when we woke in the morning we found there was no power. We assumed there was a site outage and didnt worry too much. Went out for the day then came back mid afternoon to find no power still.

Returned home and hooked van up to the mains and there is a problem. My socket tester shows only one red light instead of all 3 and indicates "Live Neutral Reverse". The mains lead is connected properly. The battery terminals are on properly. What's happend? Any thoughts welcome.

Many thanks

Hello all

I stayed away in the van this weekend at Home Farm near Weston Super Mare and when we woke in the morning we found there was no power. We assumed there was a site outage and didnt worry too much. Went out for the day then came back mid afternoon to find no power still.

Returned home and hooked van up to the mains and there is a problem. My socket tester shows only one red light instead of all 3 and indicates "Live Neutral Reverse". The  mains lead is connected properly. The battery terminals are on properly. What's happend? Any thoughts welcome.

Many thanks

39472[/snapback]

It could be your neutral is disconnected - this would have the effect of the mains equipment not working, but a tester lighting as a neon would light between the live and earth.

The disconnection could be anywhere in the chain from the plug or socket end of the mains connection lead through to the consumer unit.

My advice is to get it checked before you connnect the mains again.

Yours

Dave

[ Anyone  any ideas?

NRF[/color]

39593[/snapback]

I would start the tedious business of opening up all the plugs and sockets in your hookup cables to see which one is faulty.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I've opened up the blue connectors (one small screw to undo) and L, E, N all connected and tight. Cant seem to open up the rest of the unit and assume its never intended to open. I will see if I can borrow another lead to at least rule out the possibility that the lead has gone faulty.

Regards

NRF

Cant seem to open up the rest of the unit and assume its never intended to open.

Regards

NRF

39626[/snapback]

If you've got a multimeter, test the lead for continuity :)

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

I hate to admit it but although I bought a multimeter some time ago for under a tenner I've never used it. It may be very easy but in ABC language could you tell me what to do?!

Many thanks

David

I hate to admit it but although I bought a multimeter some time ago for under a tenner I've never used it. It may be very easy but in ABC language could you tell me what to do?!

Many thanks

David

39675[/snapback]

First of all, if it is live/earth reverse DO NOT USE THE UNTIL PROVED SAFE

on the meter selector switch will be a number of positions either marked with the Greek letter omega or the word ohms with numbers which may 10ohms, 1kohms, 10k,etc, also you may have a position which will buzz or bleep when the leads are touched together, use the lowest setting or the buzz bleep setting

on ohms / buzz check the largest pin first on the plug and trailing socket then check each of the other pins

if you hold the lead as though you were about to plug the plug into the trailing socket ie to form a ring, the pin and hole into which it would go should be the ones connected, and give a bleep/buzz/ deflection, on the meter

you also need to check between the pins, with the meeter set to a high resistance setting, the highest setting somthing like 10k setting on the switch

If you get any deflection on the meter, the lead or plug/socket, is damaged /wet.

do a finger on FULL inspection of every inch of the lead and look for any damage / split / signs of crushing, if the lead is damaged, replace it with new and distroy the damaged lead and plugs

If you are aquainted with an electrician ask him/her to connect the lead to a portable appliance tester, that would be the best possible test

• 2 weeks later...

Van went in to the dealer today. They discovered that a wiring connector (push type fitting) near the main consumer unit, had failed. The plastic unit had BURNT AND MELTED. This was clearly a major failure and thankfully, although the unit was melted and brown from the heat generated, the plastic connector must have had some fire resistance qualitites. I suspect that we were within a whisker of a serious fire. The dealer rang Bailey to ask if they'd had a problem before like this and replaced the fitting with a round domestic style connector.

I dont know what the response from Bailey was but the dealer agreed to cover the job under warranty. Very happy indeed with the quick and professional attention from the dealer, Broad Lane Leisure.

Regards

NRF

Archived