Sign in to follow this  
bigjimmy

Carry A Breathaliser; A New Law In France

bought one from ebay £10, , halfords price £24

Cheaper to pay the fine at €17?

We are off to Beau Rivage SW France in March and the UK owners are posting us a couple out FOC, as they say that they are only a couple of Euro in their local supermarket

bought one from ebay £10, , halfords price £24

It is reported that the breathalyser required in France will have to conform to French standards. It is likely therefore that the Gendarmerie they will be looking for such markings.

Until the regulation is published it is all guesswork.

I bought three breath testers for a fiver on line. They will live in the glove box of the motorhome for use as and when.

Russell

unless you get stopped twice

I wonder what happens if you get stopped, they ask you to use your breathalyser, it's negative, but you get stopped again five miles down the roat at another testing point??????? :wacko:

I wonder what happens if you get stopped, they ask you to use your breathalyser, it's negative, but you get stopped again five miles down the roat at another testing point??????? :wacko:

Interesting point ValA. I had assumed that the breathalyser carried in the car was only for the driver's use if and when he/she thought they might be in danger of being over the limit and used before they set off in the car, and that if stopped by police they would use the"official" police kit. Must admit that any of the links I have read make no mention of how or when the personal test kit should be used.

Someone, perhaps on another forum, indicated that they would use your own kit to test you - and I made a comment about how accurate such devices would be!

Who knows where this might end - a whole box of 'officially approved' breathalysers, so you always have a new one available for every roadblock or stray Gendarme with a target to meet?

The more I think about this the more I am convinced it won't happen. I am all for the French cutting their dreadful road death toll, but this is simply not a legally viable option. Our Police carry Lion brand alcohol meters that are calibrated and zeroed regularly. These are as trustowrthy as possible. You pull out a dusty tube covered in dog hairs and chewing gum, with a ripped plastic bag and blow into it. What does that prove? It cannot be taken as a legal indication of anything. I simply don't drink and drive, so have nothing to fear, but the threat of being fined for non-possession of something useless for a crime I haven't and am not going to commit sounds like a sure-fire election promise to me! You might as well fine me for possession of a British passport while in France!

Someone, perhaps on another forum, indicated that they would use your own kit to test you - and I made a comment about how accurate such devices would be

Details are not available yet about how and when these breathalysers are to be used used but it is doubtful they are for self testing.

Accuracy of the test kit is not that important as another test with approved equipment would be needed to start a prosecution. ..exactly as in the U. K.

If the accuracy of the €1 kits turns out to be responsible for trips to a police station for official testing which then proves to be well below the limit no doubt there will be repercussions.

As I understand it, from my son who lives in France, is that it will only apply to anyone who has been convicted of a drink or drugs offence. He is going to look into further and I will let know the outcome.

Lets hope that this is the case.

Chris

Details are not available yet about how and when these breathalysers are to be used used but it is doubtful they are for self testing.

Accuracy of the test kit is not that important as another test with approved equipment would be needed to start a prosecution. ..exactly as in the U. K.

If the accuracy of the €1 kits turns out to be responsible for trips to a police station for official testing which then proves to be well below the limit no doubt there will be repercussions.

The accuracy of the kit IS important. An inaccurate test could just as easy under read, so anyone over the limit could shown as OK and be allowed to drive on. That defeats the object of the exercise.

I thought this was all about you being able to test yourself and decide not to drive because you were over the limit. Hence by always having one of these in the car you were more likely to check.

Dave

I thought this was all about you being able to test yourself and decide not to drive because you were over the limit. Hence by always having one of these in the car you were more likely to check.

Dave

this "proposal" by Sarkozy really sounds well thought out doesn't it! i think it is highly unlikely that, if you were stopped by the french police and said, "i'm ok, i tested myself on this 1 € piece of kit", they would accept that - if their equipment said you were over the limit, its off to the cells i reckon. perhaps they will publish the final details of this "law" soon and we can all then decide what we need. thats if it ever gets anywhere that is !!

Dave

Is this the time to utter the phrase "the only safe limit is a zero limit?"

I've never been a big drinker & have not had a drink for nearly 3 years. I'll watch out for all the very wobbly white boxes when we get over there in the summer. Hopefully by then the need to have or not have such kits will be clearer.

Wonder how much these things will end for sale at on the ferries etc?

Russell

well I have just returned (today) from working in France and I asked several French people about this and to my supprise no one knew about it (shock Horror) but I did contact the CC and received the following:

Thank you for your email.

Thank you very much for your recent e-mail, I have already contacted the legal department of the ACF (Automobile club de France) regarding this issue and below is their reply:

Good afternoon,

We’re coming to you, forward your question.

You asked us about the obligation to carry breath test kit in each vehicle.

So far, the proposal has not been carried and regulations in the Highway Code have not been changed to bring these equipments compulsory in the vehicles.

So, you can tell your clients that they can drive in France without a breath test kit in their car. Today, we can’t know if this potential law could be applicable to UK drivers visiting France.

For your information, the cost of a breath test kit is about 1€, and it can be bought in French pharmacies or on Internet.

Staying at your disposal,

Best regards,

Legal service

So, to summarise: This “new” law has not been passed, and the highway code has not been changed.

I will check with Legal Department again in March/April, and if the law does change and it affects visiting motorists I will update our website and put an article in the monthly magazine.

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further assistance.

Kind Regards

Web Contact Team

Regardless of the state of the law, if the kits are only one euro then it is a small cost to buy one just in case. I will and I'll put it with my spare light bulbs, high vis jacket, warning triangle and other important things bought but never yet used!

Is this the time to utter the phrase "the only safe limit is a zero limit?"

I've never been a big drinker & have not had a drink for nearly 3 years. I'll watch out for all the very wobbly white boxes when we get over there in the summer. Hopefully by then the need to have or not have such kits will be clearer.

Slightly off my OP, but if any political group ever suggested totally banning drink and driving it would be suicide.

The most important meal of the day over here is lunch.

Our local and brilliant Table de Jean in the small village of Coly serves an amazing 5 course lunch for only €12 which includes a reasonably large jug of wine. Most people drive to this bistro, including drivers of heavy lorries and they all, almost without exception drink!

Slightly off my OP, but if any political group ever suggested totally banning drink and driving it would be suicide.

According to Wikipedia, http://en. wikipedia. ...alcohol_content there are 17 countries that have a zero % of alchohol luckily they are not in Europe, but some countries do have Zero% for learner drivers and Bus/Lorry/Taxi drivers and within the capital cities. Worth a look for future trips.

Our local and brilliant Table de Jean in the small village of Coly serves an amazing 5 course lunch for only €12 which includes a reasonably large jug of wine. Most people drive to this bistro, including drivers of heavy lorries and they all, almost without exception drink!

that might be a very good reason for implementing a zero tolerance law!! in my early business days in the UK it was normal for people to go out at lunchtime and have a drink or two but that disappeared over time because it was established that it was dangerous for those using machinery and very unproductive for the rest of us. many companies now have random tests for drugs and alcohol with dismissal the usual penalty if it is found in the blood. why should drivers be any different?

that might be a very good reason for implementing a zero tolerance law!! in my early business days in the UK it was normal for people to go out at lunchtime and have a drink or two but that disappeared over time because it was established that it was dangerous for those using machinery and very unproductive for the rest of us. many companies now have random tests for drugs and alcohol with dismissal the usual penalty if it is found in the blood. why should drivers be any different?

I was working in France last week, and when we were taken out for lunch by the company (quite a large concern), they only offered sparkling or still water, it is now their policy that no alchohol is consumed during lunch.