Sign in to follow this  
bigjimmy

Carry A Breathaliser; A New Law In France

There is a new and totally bonkers law coming into force over here in France this coming Spring 2012.

Every vehicle MUST carry a breathalyser.

No doubt knowing the Gendarmes they will be out there doing spot checks.

Possibly this warning ought to be pinned by a helpful, alert and watchful mod

Edited by bigjimmy

I think it would be safest to carry two. If the Gendarmes stop you and are suspicious they might make you use one, then book you when you drive off without one. Plus, if they are correctly used you will be using one after your lunch to check you are ok, then you won't have one to drive with! I had also heard rumours, and perhaps someone can enlighten me, that it was illegal to carry them in the UK.

Big Jimmy, could you ask your owner where we can get them as we will be back in France in April. (Currently enjoying the sunshine at El Rocio).

Edited by not so big john

Apparently they are available in the large supermarkets, but I haven't seen them yet. .............. But no doubt by the time the law comes into force they will be more widely available.

Bonne chance

Big Jimmy, could you ask your owner where we can get them as we will be back in France in April. (Currently enjoying the sunshine at El Rocio).

BigJimmy is the owner! :)

Thanks for the heads up. Will be seeing you in May so any details on approved device will be most welcome.

Oh blimey I'll need a couple of case loads of those if I manage to visit France again in the near future.

1 for me & 1 for him + a spare thats a minimum of 3 per day - if we eat out at lunch time & dinner that's 6!

I know. .....he can drive all the time & I'll drink his share. Sounds fair to me?

Seriously thanks BJ will pass on the friends who travel to France regularly.

MumnTed

http://www. connexionfrance. com/Breath-test-alcohol-driver-Sarkozy-death-toll-speed-camera-13266-view-article. html

DRIVERS will have to carry a breath test kit in their vehicles from next spring as part of new measures by President Sarkozy to cut the roads death toll.

Other measures include 400 new speed cameras, the introduction of new-generation radar units that work from moving police cars and measures to bring in automatic speed reduction systems in cars. The president also said he was looking at creating a national day for road death victims.

Elections due soon?

BigJimmy is the owner! :)

I think you will find big Jimmy is the horse, His owner lets him use the computer sometimes. lol

His owner lets him use the computer sometimes. lol

Agreed but his muddy hooves don't arf knacker the keyboard !!

Agreed but his muddy hooves don't arf knacker the keyboard !!

hi Big Jim, we are coming over from1st to 21st April.

will the law be in by then.

p;ease let us know when to buy one, as i assume all visiting drivers will have to have one.

cheers rodders B)

hi Big Jim, we are coming over from1st to 21st April.

will the law be in by then

I am sorry Rodders68 but the last paper I read on it didn't know the date of introduction, but rest assured when you arrive at your point of departure from the UK, they will have some of the infernal devices for sale just to leech yet more money out of you !!

Bonne chance

How are you 'covered' on arrival in France? When I hit France I want to motor South not go hunting for a supermarket.

Edit . ..I suppose they will have them in the Eurotunnel area.

Edited by ericfield

. ....

Elections due soon?

I loved the quote elsewhere (this or another caravan forum) where it likened Sarkozy to Napoleon and wondered if this particular legislation was dependent on "Napoleon" being elected again!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bought three for a fiver on line. They now live in the glove box. I might test one later though.

Russell

You are best with one of these

http://www. maplin. co. ..ense-one-396819

or one of the more expensive ones. I'd wait until after the election!

Sorry, but the testers that will have to be carried in the vehicle must be one use at a time items and not one of the multiple personal testers such as the one indicated above.

Apparently some people over here are suggestiung that when people are stopped by the Gendarmes they will be using your own tester to check for your alcohol levels !

Now is that the way Sarkozy is going to be getting his woeful balance of payments in check ?

This could be a good line in wrongly calibrated breathalysers for a sharp entrepeneur who can 'fiddle the figures'. If it's not calibrated properly who would know - either they'll have to 'test' every breathalyser to make sure it's working proplerly or more likely you'll have to use the NicoSark12 model - at only 45€ per throw!

I have just had a quick look and you can bjuy them on line from here http://www. valuebrea. ..ATHALYSERS. html

That takes me back, they are like the old fashioned glass file blow the bag up ones we use to use 25 years ago!!

Phil.

Like BIGJIMMY I live in France & some of their laws seem to be made after they have all been on the red wine for lunch. The latest law which came in to force on 05/12/2012 was that is now illegal to have SatNavs that warn you of SPEED Cameras. That aspect of your SatNav when used in France must be disabled. BUT there seems to be some idea that a SatNav can warn you of a Danger zone which could of course be where a speed camera is situated. I think some manufacturers now show speed cameras as Danger Zones. Perhaps BUGJIMMY has more details on this than me.

I have not heard of when the Breathalysers will actually come into force.

Remember also the HIVIS jacket must be carried inside the car so you can put it on before you get out of the car,not in the boot,

Like BIGJIMMY I live in France & some of their laws seem to be made after they have all been on the red wine for lunch. The latest law which came in to force on 05/12/2012 was that is now illegal to have SatNavs that warn you of SPEED Cameras. That aspect of your SatNav when used in France must be disabled. BUT there seems to be some idea that a SatNav can warn you of a Danger zone which could of course be where a speed camera is situated. I think some manufacturers now show speed cameras as Danger Zones. Perhaps BUGJIMMY has more details on this than me.

I have not heard of when the Breathalysers will actually come into force.

Remember also the HIVIS jacket must be carried inside the car so you can put it on before you get out of the car,not in the boot,

spoke to C C earlier today

no word on when this law is to come in.

they will post in magazine and on website when any news.

they said kits available in supermarkets at €1.

perhaps you lucky folk who live there, may able to confirm.

taken all thing related to cameras and speed out of POI's in sat nav.

cheers rodders

cheers rodders B)

Edited by rodders68

spoke to C C earlier today

no word on when this law is to come in.

they will post in magazine and on website when any news.

they said kits available in supermarkets at €1.

perhaps you lucky folk who live there, may able to confirm.

cheers rodders B)

Not confirmed but April 1st is being bandied about on French forums as most reports report the announcement of a Spring introduction

The penalty for not carrying will be €17

Edited by beejay

The reusable ones are perfectly accuate enough. However, the main reason that the old single use ones fell out of favour in the UK is that they are so easy to fool that they are not considered of evidential quality. So a good lawyer would be quite able to get you off.