Towing A Large Trailer

mark/jayne

Hi All,

i have been asked to use a trailer at work, could you please advise me if my towing van needs some type of indicator ie a light or a buzzer.

when asked at the works garage they seemed to be a bit bemused by my request.

is it a legal requirement.

i beleive i saw something about this some time ago

advice welcome , many thanks in advance

mark

Hi Mark,

When I had my towbar fitted, they said it was a legal requirement for them to fit one, and the buzzer was the best option :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hi Mark/Jayne

I have also hared that one or the other must be fitted my mum had here tow bar put on by a major witter tow bar fitter in our area and they fitted a little light in the back of the car we hadn’t even realised it was there till I rang them and asked if they could fit an audible one on the car and they then told us that that is what they did my mum still had the audible one fitted extra hey are a lot better.

Regards

JON

:mellow:

Hi All,

i have been asked to use a trailer at work, could you please advise me if my towing van needs some type of indicator ie a light or a buzzer.

when asked at the works garage they seemed to be a bit bemused by my request.

is it a legal requirement.

i beleive i saw something about this some time ago

advice welcome , many thanks in advance

mark

39436[/snapback]

It is a legal requirement in the UK for the driver of a towing vehicle to know if the indicator lights of the trailer are functioning correctly. This is normally achieved either by a lamp on the dashboard or an audible buzzer mounted in the rear of the towcar, that will flash/buzz when the trailer indicator lamps are working correctly.

Strangely there is no legal requirement for the side marker lights or brake lights to be monitored in the same way, although it is still an offence if they are not working correctly.

This link may be of interest.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I have enquired about this from someone wot knows:

You are obliged to have an indication that the trialer indicator lamps are functioning. This may be:

An audible alert

A visible alert

Indicator lamps on the front of the trailer which are visible to the driver.

I have these on my box trailer, although I have an extra lamp in the insturment binnacle on the car to indicate the indicators are OK as I need that for the caravan.

The Brake and Tail lamps are not requred to be monitored as they are fitted in pairs; even if one fails, the other should stay on. However, if an indicator lamp fails that is a 100% failure and must be detected immediately. Hence the requirement for the alert.

Strangely there is no legal requirement for the side marker lights or brake lights to be monitored in the same way, although it is still an offence if they are not working correctly.

39445[/snapback]

The Brake and Tail lamps are not requred to be monitored as they are fitted in pairs; even if one fails, the other should stay on.

39455[/snapback]

Obvious really! Why didn't I think of that?

BTW, I too have repeater indicators fitted to the front of the caravan sidewalls, so these act as another warning to the driver if the circuit fails.

Cheers,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

This is the law relating to "tell tales" taken from The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations of 1989:

11. Tell-tale-

(a) One or more indicators on each side of a vehicle to which indicators are fitted shall be so designed and fitted that the driver when in his seat can readily be aware when it is in operation; or

(B) The vehicle shall be equipped with an operational tell-tale for front and rear indicators (including any rear indicator on the rearmost of any trailers drawn by the vehicle).

I hope that this helps.

the flasher problem is taken care of you do not need a buzzer or a extra light. the system offers in case of failure the ansaw . ...if the flashers fail when you put your indicator on the green arrow on your dash will flash twice as fast showing you a fail . it will evan show you which side . .all rush out and try it . ......

Archived