Black Bits In Water

Yossa

While we were in France recently, we noticed that the water coming from the bathroom tap had reduced to a trickle. I noticed a screw on 'cap' on the end of the tap (that acts as a diffuser?) so I unscrewed it to see if I could find out what was wrong. The 'cap' was full of black bits that were restricting the flow of water.

We have never experienced this problem before and the kitchen tap was OK, although that has an in-line filter.

Has anybody had a similar experience or an explanation? I would guess that it could have been caused by bits in the local mains water supply.

Yossa

Perhaps the black bits were an accumulation of mould which had built up in the van's pipes during a period of non-use? I sometimes see similar when the flush water in the toilet is getting low. Try running a solution of diluted sterilising fluid through the pipes and leave for an hour, flush with fresh water and then drain prior to long-term storage. Carry out this same procedure next spring (or before you next use your 'van), replace the water filter and clean the tap mesh. Any back bits should be eliminated.

Regards, :)

Hi Yossa, Looks like your filter has given up, check, flush system and replace!!!!

I occassionally get that sort of rubbish in my home water supply and that "should" be of a higher standard than sites or overseas. The black bits I get are generally small pieces of "O" ring rubber material which is just the right size to make the float valves leak in the main house tank and the toilets causing overflows. It seems that whenever the water board or whoever are doing their maintenance they just flush it through, to us. It maybe a valve seal somewhere breaking up but its frustrating. I've lost count of the times I've had to clean out the valve mechanisms both Torbek and standard. That is on a totally enclosed system and has no manual filling with open containers etc to consider. Some of the water supplies I have tasted on site do seem a little raw so it wouldn't suprise me if it is particulates in the supply. I haven't an onboard filter which could possibly block up so can't comment on whether they get blocked but I suppose if theirs enough debris they will. I have also seen bits of sand and stone abroad but at least that sinks to the bottom of the glass. Does get a bit chewy in the ice cubes for the G+T. If it were bacteria or mould it would be a lot more slimey than you describe. Looks like debris, you don't say how old your van is, if its had a good flush through it must be from the supply. Wherever it came from you will need to flush the system thoroughly and change your filter just in case any more has lodged in the low points or resting in fittings. Same method as MPVguy I guess.

Bob

Hi Yossa, Looks like your filter has given up, check, flush system and replace!!!!

39355[/snapback]

I think Metz is likely to be right. The water filter is filled with tiny pieces of charcoal. If they have escaped this could be what you have found. Try crushing them with the end of a spoon. Or just replace the filter.

I think Metz is likely to be right.   The water filter is filled with tiny pieces of charcoal.   If they have escaped this could be what you have found.   Try crushing them with the end of a spoon. Or just replace the filter.

39363[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply but the water filter is only on the cold feed to the tap in the kitchen and there's no problem there.

Yossa

Looks like debris, you don't say how old your van is, if its had a good flush through it must be from the supply. Wherever it came from you will need to flush the system thoroughly and change your filter just in case any more has lodged in the low points or resting in fittings. Same method as MPVguy I guess.

Bob

39359[/snapback]

Hi Bob, the van is just under three years old and the water system is flushed regularly and Miltons added on times to disinfect.

The van has just been serviced by Chipping Sodbury Caravans (CSC) after our return from France. CSC did a fantastic job in servicing the van (water filter replaced) and carrying out some repairs.

I think that on this occasion the debri may well have come into the vans' water system via the mains water. ...blooming French!

Yossa

have a look here

http://www. caravanfaultfinder. co. uk/

Have Black Bits In My Water System?

If you have black bits coming through your taps it is because the Carver Filter has broken down and let its carbon into the water system. You will need to replace the filter and flush the system. If you have a pressure switch this will have to be cleaned out for it to work correctly. To do this follow these steps.

Remove the pressure switch from the caravan.

Undo the 2 screws from the inlet and remove the inlet tube.

Push the non return valve out and remove the o ring to allow the non return valve to be removed and cleaned.

Run some water through the pressure switch to remove the carbon from the diagram.

put the pressure switch back together.

Before you refit the switch remove the clear plastic top from the old filter and refit into the filter housing put the inlet tube in a bowl and run the pump to remove the carbon from the filter housing. Refit the pressure switch and test. The carbon may keep coming through the taps for a while, but will stop after a few barrel full's of water.

Archived