12v Lcd T/v

mark70

LCD TV

Just getting into rallying but on occasions would like to see some TV (for the kids honest).

Just tried my 12v LCD TV direct into the vans 12v socket but whilst it will come on to standby I cannot get a picture. Anyone any ideas?

I could use an inverter but to convert 12v to 230v then back to 12v would be grossly inefficient and crazy.

How does everyone else power there LCD TV?

Thanks

Mark

LCD TV

Just getting into rallying but on occasions would like to see some TV (for the kids honest).

Just tried my 12v LCD TV direct into the vans 12v socket but whilst it will come on to standby I cannot get a picture.   Anyone any ideas? 

I could use an inverter but to convert 12v to 230v then back to 12v would be grossly inefficient and crazy.

How does everyone else power there LCD TV?

Thanks

Mark

39316[/snapback]

Hi Mark

We purchased a Daewoo 1 7" DSL 17D3 wide screen LCD tv, I made a lead up to power the 12 volt no problem.

My brother purchased a 15" lcd fron Currys ( about £170 ) this would not work with a 12 volt lead only on mains via the transformer

You could try testing the 12 volt sockets in the van using a cheap multi meter

Regards

d

Dave

The nominal output voltage of a lead-acid battery is 12. 6 Volts. A little bit of resistance in the wires can soon pull that down below 12V, especially if there is other load e. g. lighting coming off the battery.

Sadly, some devices are very fussy.

Conversely, batteries charge at between 13. 8 and 14. 2 volts, which may be too high for the unit.

Dave has it right - the best thing is to get a multimeter and check:

1. the output voltage at your van's socket, and again at the tip of the lead where it plugs into the TV.

2. The output voltage from the TV's mains PSU.

Some TVs struggle with anything lower than the voltage stated on the power pack as observed by the previous posters.

A couple of points for you to consider. ... Check all voltages under load, so meter the output of your sockets when the TV is connected & turned on. If the voltage is really low it may indicate that the battery is either discharged or heading for the recycling yard!

If the vans wiring is dropping the voltage so much you can connect a separate larger fused cable directly to the battery & create a dedicated TV power point.

Or bin the TV & get a dedicated 12V unit from us that will work on a wider range of voltages :D:D

Regards

Mal

We tried plugging our LCD TV direct into the caravan 12v system but I think the ampage of the wiring wasn't up to the job.

Thanks to some good advice from Malt we made a heavy duty cable which we fused and carry a spare battery purely for the TV. We have fed the cable from where the tv is (fixed bed so tv is up a height) under the bed so that it can be fed out once on the rally field through the locker. The battery is kept on a piece of wood under the van with a bit of awning skirting the size of a wheel arch cover pulled across.

Depending how long we are away for we either take an 85 or a 110 battery. The 85 will have turned white by the end of the weekend. The tv has worked perfectly with this setup.

We have a 40w solar panel to charge the main battery (not that it drops very low) and sometimes swap the batteries over if the tv battery is getting low.

Helen

I have a dual voltage LCD TV - it works really well on the 12v and doesnt drain the battery at all. I also use a solar panel to charge the battery but have used the 12v TV with little or no loss of charge for more than a week.

We get a great picture - just have to remember to re-tune it when we arrive!!

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!