Warning - Shower Tap Failure

RogerN

I have just had to have the shower tap replaced on our Swift 520. Whilst this was done under warranty, our dealer stated that this is a common problem with these taps, which I believe are fitted to other makes as well.

The only way I noticed it was that, when it was very quiet, I could hear a dripping noise and traced it to behind the fixing in the shower. Luckily, the water was then escaping into the shower cubicle but this was not very noticable. I thought that it was just that the pipe had become lose.

If this is not spotted early, or if the tap was fitted in a slightly different place, I would think that the water could get behind the shower and cause a serious damp problem.

When I get the van back, I will see if I can post a picture of the fitment so that others can see if their's is the same.

---- Picture now attached, Sorry it is not as clear as I would like.

Roger

Thanks for that Rog, We've got a Swift abbey which is based on the Baronette. Went over to check this afternoon but, luckily, ours is a different tap. Doesn't hurt to check though.

Cheers Mikey :rolleyes:

I think we have the same problem. Our van is an Ace.

Just behind the shower tap (our comes out of the shower/toilet cubicle to our washbasin in the main area) there is a connection (from memory I think it is Y shaped) It leaks about a cupful of water in 24 hours. Luckily it is above a shelf in the washbasin unit so we can stand a cup under it.

Helen

Had exactly the same problem with our 2004 Elddis we discovered ours when we saw a sodden patch on the carpet on our first trip out in the van. Barrons sent us a new one, fiitted it everything OK. Then there was a recall on this valve so they sent us the modified one, no probs since fitting about 8 months ago.

I'm supprised that the faulty ones are still being fitted.

keith

• 3 weeks later...
I have just had to have the shower tap replaced on our Swift 520. Whilst this was done under warranty, our dealer stated that this is a common problem with these taps, which I believe are fitted to other makes as well.

The only way I noticed it was that, when it was very quiet, I could hear a dripping noise and traced it to behind the fixing in the shower. Luckily, the water was then escaping into the shower cubicle but this was not very noticable. I thought that it was just that the pipe had become lose.

If this is not spotted early, or if the tap was fitted in a slightly different place, I would think that the water could get behind the shower and cause a serious damp problem.

When I get the van back, I will see if I can post a picture of the fitment so that others can see if their's is the same.

---- Picture now attached, Sorry it is not as clear as I would like.

Roger

39303[/snapback]

Hi, we have a Lunar Quaser 615, our tap attachment (Pipe going from under tap to shower in the concealed unit) came un done and if we hadn't of noticed this we to would of had a very bad leak! My brother has same van and his did the same, he noticed this when it CAME BACK from service! He wasn't too happy, well he wasn't happy with service overall, he had purposely taken battery out of smoke alarm and they never said a word amongst other thingd they didn't do for £160 quid :o But thats another story ;)

Roger

Same thing happened to us with our Eccles. Like yours we could hear it dripping into the shower tray. Our dealer changed it at the first service earlier in the year.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Roger

I am trying to understand where the leak was exactly coming from.

Looking at your picture the fitting is the same as that on my 2005 Abbey GTS Vogue. Over the past few months when operating the shower handle I have felt that the plastic into which the handle is fitted is fairly flexible in that particular area. Consequently operating the handle has been done gently and with a bit of care . Van is now in storage and I was going to run some water through the system to check the fitting .

Ian

Archived