Downsides Of Towing Twin Axles?

Griff

Hi,

Just wondered what the downside experiences of you folks are (if any) of towing around a Twin Axle.

Is the rear overhang much of a problem during turning whilst navigating towns etc?

Are they any worse than the larger Single Axle rigs?:unsure:

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

we have had our twin axle for 18 months now and haven't had any problems with the size at all. We have towed through the centre of York and Knaresborough and not had a problem. The way I look at it, is if a road can take a bus or a delivery truck, then it will take a large caravan.

The only Problem I have is Pushing it nose first into our garden, but now we are used to that that isn't such a problem iether.

I would suggest if you fancy the twin axle van, go for it.

I have towed my twin axle all over the country - including through small towns in Scotland, narrow roads in Cumberland, Devon & Cornwall - through towns, cities, and villages and never had a problem. Of course like any other long vehicle you have to be aware of the length when turning corners and allow for that when you negotiate junctions etc but that is just common sense isnt it ? If you have a problem reversing it get a mover fitted - I admit I did consider one myself but the cost of a good one is high and I dont have a problem reversing so havent bothered - but as Adie said its difficult to push a twin because of the manouverability or rather lack of it when pushing !!

I wouldnt trade my twin for a single again - and highly recommend one!!

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

Thanks.

Yes, probably as I much imagined.

I have been used to towing over the years, Caravan (small) & Power Boat so I understand towing with giving it some forethought.

I have a problem with one leg so either way, single or twin, I would get a mover fitted.

Griff.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Guest Hobbybod
Thanks.

Yes, probably as I much imagined.

I have been used to towing over the years, Caravan (small) & Power Boat so I understand towing with giving it some forethought.

I have a problem with one leg so either way, single or twin, I would get a mover fitted.

Griff.

39271[/snapback]

Griff I've only towed a single axle 'van but I do know a number of 'mature' 'vanners, (with limited muscle power!) that have, or have had, T-A 'vans.

The big problem they have all encountered is lack of easy manoeuvreability; even with movers fitted.

It's OK if you are able to use the towcar to manoeuvre the 'van (and a T-A is easier to reverse than a single axle 'van) but most of the T-A 'movers' struggle to turn/rotate the 'van in a small space. The are fine going straight forward or back, but for a tight parking space in front of the house, or at a storage compound, they can be exceedingly laborious to move.

These problems may well not be so severe with the expensive (£1870) Reich T-A 'mover'. This has all four wheels driven (basically two movers, one fore and one aft, of the axles), but I don't know anyone who has had one fitted!!

I've got health problems including a bad knee (arthritis) so my mover is a god send. Would never go back to single axle either.

Motor mover certainly is not as nimble on a twin as a single but if I have trouble turning a lean on the van to guide it make a huge difference without much energy needed.

Good luck.

I've got a single axle now but previously had a twin axle, albeit a small one. I found the twin axle more stable when being towed and I didn't really notice any real problem manoeuvering it either. ..except when the jockey wheel broke!!

Having said that, it was actually fractionally smaller and 200kg lighter than my current van, dunno how a big twin axle would compare.

Our next van will probably be a twin axle. Over the years we have progressed from a 14ft long 6. 5ft wide single axle to a 24ft long 7. 5ft wide single axle and have to admit to finding the 1st van (smallest) no different to tow than our current(largest) van. however I must confess we have a mover fitted to our current van and wouldnt conside owning a van with a mover, we can now position our van on pitches using the mover that we would never have got it on without it.

Archived