Avondale Beware? Advice Please!

Hi all,

I'm in the throws of caravan hunting and am keen to hear from those that own avondales. I have spoken to a guy who hires caravans out and he said to stay away. I know that avondale went belly up and that what was left was purchased by another company so some parts are available.

I guess my question is, what's it like to own one with the situation being what it is? Are parts hard to get etc?

Thanks in advance,

D

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I have owned a succession of Avondale caravans between 1988 and 2010 and never experienced a problem with obtaining spares. I am still a member of the owners club, so I am sure I would hear if there was a problem since the company ceased trading. See my pinned post at the head of this section.

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Absolutely LOVE my Avondale Avocet

Such a smart caravan :)

Stable towing, well fitted out, nice style, good upholstery.

( just look out for the occasional cracks on the edges of the front panel of 2004- 2007 models)

Grand :D

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

Happy with ours too

meandcaravan.jpg.e9cf995ee8c89b08e26d261aa10c0fc4.jpg2008 Bailey Senator Wyoming -2004 green oval Landrover discovery 2 td5-2005 Smart forfour.

love my 03 golden avocet best van so far

2008 Mazda 3 sport 2. 0 diesel
2014 Compass corona 462
e-go quattro mover

The only trouble I've had & still having is finding the right wallboard for the bathroom. Aside from an awning rail leak which we've now sorted, we were very happy with ours. Selling on soon as we need a fixed bed layout. Hubby hates the faffing around of setting up beds (even though I do it 9 times out 10!)

Avondale 556/6 Dart 2005 model here. It was the best one that suited our needs last year when we bought it. We love it!

2005 VW Touran 1. 9 TDI SE (105)
Pulling a 2010 Bailey Olympus 546

Hi Bought a avondale Ospreyin 2007 ---had 27 faults after 12 months, dealer not interested. Took him to court, won, got rid of van after 3 years, was still doing repairs ! pity as we loved the layout ( kitchen work area --huge ! ) but got rid and bought another "lemon " !!! ( made in Lancashire )

david 1220

Edited by david 1220

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

2008, 545/ 4 Mayfair here, we bought a 4 berth for the extra space although there are only 2 of us, love the bathroom and the shower is huge,you can drop the soap and don't have to step outside the cubical to pick it up !

We love love love our Avondale Argente - bought three years ago and have spent approx 1 year in total in her up to now, 2nd home from home. ..... can't recommend highly enough!

• 4 weeks later...

Bought an 2009 Avondale 545/4 in October 2010 (I know they went bust in 08 but new models run from Sept the previous year till Sept the current year). We love it. As for parts, we found a blemish inside the front window. The dealer changed the window within 2 weeks.

Have been the proud owner of a Avondale lindrick 2008 for two years almost. Our first van and love it. We tour Italy last year and did over 3000miles. Faultless. We however have the rails resealed when purchased. The service detected an issue. The dealer I took it too was an ex Avondale dealer and stated that when the company started to get wound up they used surplus stock I including cheaper sealant! Go for it.

KIA SORENTO XSE. 2011 SWIFT 545 MERLIN