Indiana Or Wyoming, Single Or Twin Axle?

Griff

Hi,

Decisions, decisions. Back to caravanning after a long lay off.

Looking to order an Indiana or a Wyoming.

The Indiana being a single axle and shorter might be that little bit easier for towing around but hate the step over threshold into the shower to get to the toilet. The rest I like.

Now the Wyoming is something else with that superb end washroom but that extra . 8 metres in length and the twin axles, well how restrictive might that prove to be.

Just what problems do you Wyoming & Carolina owners experience in getting around and are the twin axles that much more difficult when driving through towns etc.

Griff.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Hi Griff

We recently returned to caravanning after a break of about 16 years and have recently bought a new Wyoming.

Only been away once so far in it but that was for a fortnight and travelled around 1000 miles. I did not find any problems towing it - it towed like a dream. I thought the length would take a bit of getting used to and only having towed a single axle before I was unsure how it would be but I found that if anything it was easier to tow than a single axle. Its much more difficult though to manouvere (not sure of the spelling but its late!!!) by hand (which is why I have ordered a caravan mover as the space I have for it at home is not that wide).

As for living with the van - the end washroom is a dream and having the fixed bed is wonderful as well. My daughters are 17 and 19 and will not venture away with us much now so there will only usually be the two of us so we can use the front as a lounge but I would think the layout would also suit a family.

If you have any specific questions please let me know and I will be happy to answer them.

Good luck with your deliberations.

Cheers

Been wondering how you've been enjoying your Wyoming Richard.

For Griffs benefit I came close to buying the Wyoming and I think I would have but for the length of the bed at 6' 4" from "headboard" to the "toeboard". I am 6' 2" & not being able to physically inspect a Wyoming I made up a 6' 4" bed at home here in NZ with a Ply board at the base and the head against the wall & spent the night in it. I'm glad I did as I found I was repeatedly nudging the head & toeboards :angry: as I slept. At least I was concious that they were there. Further discussion with Roadrunner reaffirmed my opinion that the bed was too short for us "tall ones" (he's taller than me). Roadrunner also looked at the Wyoming before settling on the Louisiana - which incidentally I also have purchased :) .

Further probing on this site convinced me that a mover was a handy bit of kit so that has been fitted too :D . Once again Richard's comments bear that decision out as well.

Good luck with your decision - and try that bed for length, it's got to be right B) .

John Lee

Hi John

Yeah we really enjoyed our holiday in the caravan. I am only 5ft 11 so the bed is fine for me and found we got a really good night's sleep - with it being a fixed bed there are no lumps like you get when you make a bed up from cushions.

Also got the Alko bits for the security wheel locks yesterday (couriered straight from Alko) an extensive piece of kit but they look reasonably straight forward (although with the twin axle we will probably have to jack the caravan up to align the other wheel).

When do you get your van - you must be having withdrawal systems having been without one for so long.

Cheers

Richard

Hi John

Yeah we really enjoyed our holiday in the caravan.   I am only 5ft 11 so the bed is fine for me and found we got a really good night's sleep - with it being a fixed bed there are no lumps like you get when you make a bed up from cushions.

Also got the Alko bits for the security wheel locks yesterday (couriered straight from Alko) an extensive piece of kit but they look reasonably straight forward (although with the twin axle we will probably have to jack the caravan up to align the other wheel).

When do you get your van - you must be having withdrawal systems having been without one for so long.

Cheers

Richard

39427[/snapback]

Nov 2nd it arrives at Auckland. Got the "Al-ko secure" supplied before it left the dealer - was wondering how it worked - through both wheels huh? Got a 1075cm Ventura awning :) (same as Roadrunner) plus a 4. 4m caravanstore zip :) & I have a panoramam XL porch waiting for me in Auckland :D that arrived on another imported caravan recently. If that doesn't cover the field nothing will! So there's a few goodies & yes we are looking forward to it very much. It'll get a try out on the 600 mile delivery run to Christchurch. I'm hoping to get a few days leave to let the family enjoy the run home too. There'll be a few teething issues like the gas won't be available 'till I have the POL fittings installed. For some reason the POL gas fitting ex the EU is about 1 mm larger in diameter than the same fitting here. I had the same problem with the Auvergne. The Louisiana is currently at sea between Southampton & Port Elizabeth Sth Africa.