Sign in to follow this  
morepower

How Many Use Camera Phones When They Are Away?

Pixel count is not the be all and end all. . OK it allows you to "zoom" in to an image by cropping it which is fine for a fixed focal length camera phone. But adding pixels into such a small sensor adds noise and usually they have to reduce the file sizes so the image quality is reduced a bit more. .. I do love using my carmera on my phone for quick shots when out and about and carrying the DSLR is a bind or not practical. I also take photos when I am working or short videos. I can upload straight to facebook on my own page or my work page. It is such a practical tool now for day to day use. I do like the HD video options now and 5 to 8 MP for the camera is great. But I do think a better lens and less image compression is more important than a high pixel count and compressed images that lose sharpness on a picture that needs all the sharpness it can get. ..

Here is a quick video of my work and me using a Vacuum bag to pull down materials into a mould. The white coloured material in the bag is not glass fiber it is a breather material to allow me to pull down the back and squeeze exess resin from the part. It has anothe release material underneath so it doesn't stick to the back of the actual part but does allow exess resin through. Even though the part looks dry in the outside of the mould and in a normal wet lay part this would look like it needs more resin. As you can see it pushes up the exess and makes the part lighter and stronger than a part that does not used this method. I did this just to show a friend and the phone was perfect to just do this little clip. OK a bit shaky as I was on my own and needed to check the bag, pump and ensure the bag was going down fully and have no gaps over the surface (bridging).

True pixel count is not so important . The sensor size makes more of a difference. ..

So few people seem to understand that!

High pixel count is only good for massive prints or mucho cropping. How many priint at all, let alone poster size?

As for cropping, well, get it right in the viewfinder and you never need to .

Sensor quality though. ......

So few people seem to understand that!

High pixel count is only good for massive prints or mucho cropping. How many priint at all, let alone poster size?

As for cropping, well, get it right in the viewfinder and you never need to .

Sensor quality though. ......

This can be a bit harder with a phone camera but very true if you can frame the image correctly then there is no need to crop. I had to crop my image above due to the bike looking like scrap metal (been outside 3 years unloved) and I wanted to show a new part that would go on a nicer bike. But cropping is not an answer to a bad photo and you are right. I have not printed an image in years. .. I have had some done in print with a few magazines and never had an issue with my Nikon D70 and its 6mp images even for magazine use. OK they can do some really good stuff in photoshop and use raster files. .. But for me. . I am happy with a lower pixel count and nice clear images.

My only problem with cameras on phones is that you have to have your phone with you. Now it might only be me but if I've got my phone with me it's not a holiday.

I always have my phone with me. .. I give my number out to businesses and business customers because I would hate to lose several thousand pounds in an order which would be sorted out when I get back. Missing one call could lose me a £7000 bike build or some other project that I could do. I put my holiday status up on facebook and if I get a call it is usually important. But the camera on my phone does get used for loads of things it is well over 3000 photos in the past 12 months with photos from my None holidays. .. and work. . It covers a multitude of possibly missed opportunities.

img0834x.jpg

Oh and yes the photo above is straight out of the phone camera and not a multiple exposure. . It just had a bit of post editing in the phone to re-frame it and add a bit of an effect but the basic shot was from the phone.

img1288w.jpg

img1452uwx.jpg

img1415kg.jpg

So when I get to go away and take calls looking at veiws like these and still make money. .. win win. .. This is the best office in the world. ..

Edited by morepower

More camera phone images:

20120302-IMG_0160.jpg

20120302-IMG_0155.jpg

Almost worth getting up at 0330 for!

Edited by F70100

Sign in to follow this