Sign in to follow this  
morepower

How Many Use Camera Phones When They Are Away?

How many of you have found you are using your main camera less and your phone's camera more?

This year while out and about the phone's camera took about 1000 photos while we were away. ....

Depending on the phone. .. I have used two the oldest was a HTC HD2 then the newer one is a iPhone 4.

Some were just snaps because I had not had my camera with me or we were in a town/city and had bags to carry when we were shopping.

The quality is variable between the two but as the quality has improved it has taken the place of the compact away from the country side and on casual walks and many photos are posted up to Facebook as soon as they are taken, which cannot be done with a compact or DSLR.

So how many have found they have either taken more photos last year because of the camera phone or have found they have used there other camera less but still get lots of photos?

Here is are a couple of snaps I got with the HTC. . It is compressed too much and is not quite so natural. . But I still got about 300 or so photos with it. ...

imag0424copy.jpg

img1964ea.jpg

Here is an iPhone image and in just over a year it has taken almost 3000 photos and about 1000 of those were when we were away. (the rest are work related and/or directly posted to Facebook)

img0739hc.jpg

Yes this is straght out of the phone camera and not photoshopped using several images.

img1001o.jpg

This was after shopping in Lincoln and carrying a larger camera would have been a pain but with the phone it still got me a nice photo I would have missed. ..

Below are just a little selection of other images using the phone. ...

img1672rc.jpg

img1943jg.jpg

I know it is a compromise but it does seem many are using phones a lot more and there are apps like Shnap, streamzoo,piictu and photovine where many are uploading photos and it now has a following like those fans of the Lomo camera. . (if you dont know look up lomography)

Remarkably good photos for an IPhone.

I am an HD video camcorder nut and I do not mind the bulk, and have used my still camera less favouring the camcorder.

Pete of the BO

Edited by Bailey Oklahoma

Morepower. .. that looks like The Steep Hill in Lincoln. ... did you by any chance go in Browns Pie Shop, 32 The Steep Hill?

It was one of my favorite places when I was a RAF Waddington on the AWACS.

Happy memories.

Some nice photos there too!

FT

Best is I know my phone camera is a waste of time if the light isn't right. . Yet I still try and take photos with it. .. It is the worst camera i've ever had on a phone. ..

Not that I'm saying that I'm the next David Bailey. ... But I find that phone manufactures try to cram as much rubbish into a phone as possible. ..

Thanks FT. ... No didnt go to the pie shop. .. My wife is fussy with her diet and if she cannot work out the points value. .... we dont eat there. .LOL. ..

Thanks. ... I was not sure a camera phone would be of much use other than as a visual note for something I need or for work. ... Just to keep a log of work done. .. But now I think more and more are getting into photography and the camera phone is now the starting point. It just takes some creativity and as you know even the best camera and best lens can turn out some awful photos if you point it at the wrong things or frame it poorly. ...

img1113pn.jpg

Just walking to the Chipshop saw this. ... and had my phone. .. simples. ..

But then I take lots of the project bike builds. ....

This is to show a customer who lives in France so he can keep an eye on progress and not have to come up to approve my work. ...

img0278fe.jpg

They are great up to a point. .... OK beyond that you need a better camera. .. But for snaps and visual notes they are brilliant. ...

Ive never had a hankering for photography since i was young and had an old camera which my grandad gave me, it proved then to be expensive and cumbersom. Today however i have become a great fan of my phone camera often its a nokia which hosts Carl Zeiss optics the earlier ones n95 n96 n97 were of low quality but my current one a n8 has a 12megapixel camera and it take some pretty good photos .

I have been using it for all sorts of things for instance when i am looking at a manufacurers plate behind a bit of machinary where i can not get my head or its too dark to see at a poor angle ill use the phone camera which becomes an instant rescource where i can instantly zoom and pan the picture to get the info i require.

great pictures on your post by the way thank you .

Shawn

I had a Sony Ericsson C903 which was the first phone I had wich included an excellent camera The picture quality was all that I wanted so when it became time to change, one of the features required of the new phone was a decent camera - the result a Samsung Galaxy S11 - and I love it!

If you want a decent camera on your phone beware - my wifes phone had a 5 mega pixle camera and its usless. Check the reviews before buying.

The photographs by Morepower are fantastic - why carry a camera as well as a phone? But sometimes you do need a camera as well as a phone. My new Samsung Galaxy S11 arrived - you know the one I love - and I wanted to register it with Samsung on line. Into Samsungs web site and the first question - what is the serial number of your phone - you will find it under the battery. Yes it is under the battery but the number is SO SMALL there was no way I could read it! The only way I could read the number was by photographing it with the camera 'you sometimes need' then loading it onto the computer and blowing it up to a readable size.

Alan

I still use a camera (s) a Sony, a Nikon DSLR, a Panasonic video camera.

I like the idea of a phone camera, mine is only 3mp, they are getting better

all the time. Somehow it always puts me in mind of those despicable people

that "film" slappings and so on

hi morepower great pics. i haven't carried a camera for years since i got mi 8 mega oixle LG mobile. The better half bought a camera at the same time and she says my mobile takes better pictures. yes it doesn't have all the fine tuning bits of a camera and sunsets are not as good but for every day its great. Got extra memory for it so also use it as video and have loads of music stored so don't need to carry i pod as well !

toanda

Remarkably good photos for an IPhone.

I am an HD video camcorder nut and I do not mind the bulk, and have used my still camera less favouring the camcorder.

Pete of the BO

It is funny seeing this comment too. ... Phone cameras had poor video until recently and now the latest phones will record in full 1080 resolution and mine is 720 I think. .. I dont use the video fuction too much as using a phone has its down sides due to its light weight as shake can be more of an issue. . Again the light weight of the phone does have the same problem with photos but is less noticable with the camera over the video.

There is still a big difference with a good camera over a phone if you are an enthusiast but it seems for well over 50% of us it has got to the point where a phone is acceptable and us as users is the limiting factor.

http://youtu. be/74rykFne23A

This practice just happened to be on when we were went into the Cathederal. If I just had my camera I would not have got this bit of video. . But as you can see shake is a factor due to the light weight not acting as a damper. But the resolution is more than good enough for a little memento video. .. If you play the video at 720p resolution it looks better lol. ..

Edited by morepower

Fans of the Lomo camera. . (if you dont know look up lomography)

http://www. digital-photography-school. com/how-to-make-digital-photos-look-like-lomo-photography

I have one of these.

THE LOMO ACTION SAMPLER

Many people start with the Lomo Action Sampler. It takes four photos in a row, with one click of the button. Each teensy lens clicks 1/4 of a second after the previous one did.

Oh, it's a very primitive camera in a way. For starters, most of the body is clear plastic. Who ever heard of a clear plastic camera? (Yes, the light leaks in now & then. It's part of its charm.)

It's made of very cheap plastic, no batteries, and the viewfinder is a square of plastic without a lens in it. It's maybe one notch up from a disposable camera. If you drop it (I did), the film falls out. However, there are no highly sensitive electronic elements to break.

What do you use this camera for? Well, if you're doing animated GIFs, these four images could be put into action. Otherwise, these four-to-a-print images are great art!

To answer the question I use my Blackberry but it does not match the Morepower snaps for quality.

Hi to you all out there.

Yes,I carry my Nokia N73 with a 3. 2meg Carl Zeis lens at all times. I have a 5yr old Fuji FinePix S5700 but my old Yashica 230AF with 35-70 & 70-210 gives the best results of the lot and has Trap Focus and electric shutter control/release if needed.

A very long time ago I had a Canon FTb with a 1. 4 that went everywhere with me.

As things of beauty and engineering the older cameras take some beating,the likes of the Rollies was precision and an exquisite action.

The Camera phones of today are very clever, very well made for the most part but are pure expediance and convenience.

Thanks FT. ... No didnt go to the pie shop. .. My wife is fussy with her diet and if she cannot work out the points value. .... we dont eat there. .LOL. ..

Browns Pie Shop is actually a top restaurant in Lincoln. ... next time you are there, give it a try.

FT

I also hava a Lomo LC-A which I was given by my brother. . It was from a local camera shop and cost all of £20 at the time. It does have a feel like the camera phones and works well in low light considering its simple design. I have not used it for a while but it was the one camera that got me thinking about my photos more than just point and shoot. ... The images have a warmth or feeling that is not there with a clinically perfect image from an expensive camera and did seem to make me want to be more creative. If the images didn't have some character I may not have been so keen to get into photograpy that bit more. ...

Camera phones are a compromise but if you frame the subject matter it can still look really good and make a simple snap look that bit better. ...

I just got a couple of a swan on a lake. .. Nothing special just a simple swan. .. OK the image here was put through an app that crops and frames it to post up on Facebook. . But the basic photo was just from my phone. ..

img1299i.jpg

Another was just how the reflection of the trees looked on the lake. .. It was just looking at the veiw and seeing a veiw Iiked and wanted to keep as a memory. .

img1453ds.jpg

Or just seeing something fun while out in some town. .. OK not a great photo. ... There was a van in the way and some clutter on the opposite side of the photo so using the app let me crop it out and it was just a fun image.

img2187h.jpg

Edited by morepower

Browns Pie Shop is actually a top restaurant in Lincoln. ... next time you are there, give it a try.

FT

It used to be great but I am afraid there have been some not so great reports about it just lately :(

It was one of my favorite places when I was a RAF Waddington on the AWACS.

FT

RAF with the Australian Womens Army Corps - unheard of! ;)

I use the phone camera nearly all the time now as I can guarantee that I have forgot the digital camera and the quality of the photo's are of a good enough quality for us and the phone has a lot more automated settings than my camera so I leave it to the expert, the phone on auto :lol:

As a quick point and snap i will use the mobile phone however the quality is poor compared to my DSLR and Zoom lenses and therefore will always take / use DSLR when i want / need good photos

Andy part of the attraction is that it is basic and can be over saturated or have colour cast issues it has a warmth and life that is not really natural but does let you as a user explore what is possible and create images that are personal and can still be attractive. ...

We have a DSLR and that is used too. .....

Mobile phones have improved over the last 5 yrs with their cameras . The question now is are they mobile phones with digital cameras or digital cameras with mobile phones built in ? :rolleyes:

When people talk about computer making great steps forward in improvement over the years . Its also the Digital cameras with a 16 meg res now for under £100 and not that long ago it was £20k for a 16 meg .

Dave

When people talk about computer making great steps forward in improvement over the years . Its also the Digital cameras with a 16 meg res now for under £100 and not that long ago it was £20k for a 16 meg .

Dave

. .but don't be blinded by 16 meg (I'm sure Dave wasn't!) Canon in their G series (more than £100 mind) had to reduce to improve the quality.

True pixel count is not so important . The sensor size makes more of a difference. ..

. ... I use a Canon EOS 500D . .. and is very happy with it . ...

. .. I never use my phone . ... but I have thought it would be used if involved in a RTA . ....

Cheers

Pete

. ... I use a Canon EOS 500D . .. and is very happy with it . ...

. .. I never use my phone . ... but I have thought it would be used if involved in a RTA . ....

Cheers

Pete

We have several cameras and happy with all of them is it just now for some the quality of a good camera phone is a good step on the ladder to moving up to bigger cameras and even though we do have a DSLR and lenses I find the phone does give good results when a "real" camera is not there or available. ....Or some country houses are not keen on photos being taken indoors. ... So the phone is handy there at times too. ....

img2458eb.jpg

I dont see too many problems using the phone at times. ...

Edited by morepower

Just another reason I seem to use the phone camera is I can post up examples of my work as soon as I fit them up on a bike and even edit the image in the phone to frame it, crop it, correct the saturation and contrast too. It can make a part on a really rough donor bike actually look a bit better and not look like a new part stuck on a scrapper. ..

ALMOST. .....

Carbon Kevlar Cover

Sign in to follow this