Sign in to follow this  
flashgordon

Where Do All The Cameras Go?

I have had a couple of good quality compact digital cameras, but would like a digital SLR, having looked around the camera shops for a while the 2nd hand cameras are nearly as expensive as the latest range. Having been offered £40 trade in on my Canon A1 complete with tamron 80-210 lens, against a Canon 60D with a similar lens, I could undercut a 2nd hand version in my local shop by buying new with a good discount on line I have got to wonder what happens to all the digital cameras that people won't trade in at such cheap prices

My last 3 have expired and ended up in the bin, so I guess that's where they end up. ..................................

There are a few top of the range Canon's appear on evilBay sometimes. They may have had a hard life or a high shutter count. But are usually looked after and it depends on how much use you will get from it. .I have a Nikon DSLR with about 15,000 shutter uses. We also have a compact Canon that gets quite a lot of use too. .. The Nikon is about 8 years old and for me as good as I need so will be used for a few more years. .... I think most DSLR's do get used until they die. ..

I did keep our old Nikon's lenses to use with the digital camera too. . So some of the kit is well over 15 years old and still gets used and second had has little or no value so as it works well I have kept using it. ..

Having said that I have seen a few Nikon bodies on evilBay (I would only swap for a Nikon as I have lenses for them) and the prices have still been quite high unless it is a really early body.

Most professional bodies get trashed at 100,000 shutter count. .. mine go back to Canon Professional Services when I get a new one. .. Like a lot of pro's do. I would suspect it is the same for Nikon too.

I once asked one of the CPS guys where all the bodies go to and they get broken down for spares, so when jo public takes a broken camera in for repair. ... they use old pro stuff for the bits.

FT

I got a good price for my bodies but 'twas because I was selling quite a few lenses as well (Canon 50, 135, 100-400,17-40, 24-105 etc) but generally digital bodies not worth much. Run of the mill film bodies also - got a couple of Yashicas and Zenit etc on my computer shelves gathering dust!

A fellow pro tog, who has been told he's shooting at the Olympics (no he's not a marksman!!) has just had a deal he could not refuse. A certain camera company has just replaced and upgraded every single bit of equipment he had from a different camera company and given him a fair few jackets, polo shirts, hats, bags etc with logos. ... and a small lump sum for his trouble.

It seems that the war is on between the big white lens company and the big black lens company!

"Coo Eee. .. I'm over here!!!!!"

FT

A fellow pro tog, who has been told he's shooting at the Olympics (no he's not a marksman!!) has just had a deal he could not refuse. A certain camera company has just replaced and upgraded every single bit of equipment he had from a different camera company and given him a fair few jackets, polo shirts, hats, bags etc with logos. ... and a small lump sum for his trouble.

It seems that the war is on between the big white lens company and the big black lens company!

"Coo Eee. .. I'm over here!!!!!"

FT

Canon have had the Pro market practically wrapped up for years. .. If I remember correctly they had the best auto focus and metering system so many went to them for the best kit. ... But by the time Nikon caught up almost all the industry was already using Canon.

About 3 years ago a photographer I know who does glossy magazines and feature shoots had just got the latest Canon body but had practically had to send them back every 6 to 8 weeks because of some problem. They swapped them but it has to get frustrating and he did say the latest Nikon was as good if not better than his Canon but the cost to swap would be way too much. He also told me Nikon were starting to push to get new pro togs to use their kit. .. It seems they are now pushing harder than ever. ...lol. ..

Although I would agree a few years ago that Canon had the pro market pretty well set up for themselves it was for a good reason. The quality of the Canon products was significantly better but Nikon have certainly caught up with their equipment so tho there is some reluctance to change in the marketplace I definately notice more Nikon badges in the background on TV news events.

I traded in my old Nikon D40 with its stock lenses for the 5000 I now use but kept the 60mm fixed as it is my favourite. At that level people buy them as a kit, rarely body only so without the lenses it would have been fairly worthless anyway. The short zoom was getting pretty loose as well.

On the wish list, a good long lense for wildlife photography and a non-flash based lighting kit for the dogs (the flare from their eyes under flash is dire).

I managed to source a Canon Ring flash some years ago for a song. It came with a power pack. It fits on the lenses filter thread. B)

Forgotten it until now. (last used 1982) I will have to dig it out. Macro capable!

I waited such a long time for Contax to come out with a digital camera - I loved my RTS. I had a few Zeiss lenses which gave beautiful results.

WHen it became clear that Contax weren't going to oblige, I chose to go Nikon - mainly because I got a better deal at the time. Having bought a few nice lenses, I'll be sticking with Nikon.

I bought a newer Nikon body recently, and almost sold my old body on eBay just before Christmas, but in the end decided to keep it in the car for those occaisions when I really wished I'd had a camera with me.

Meanwhile the RTS sits in the cupboard. I run the shutter every now and again, but it feels like its from a different era now.

Edited by Tigger

Sign in to follow this