Alko Spare Wheel Carriers

Yossa

Due to a recent tyre problem, I had to unload the spare wheel from the Alko wheel carrier (slung underneath the van).

What a performance! I'm just glad that I did it on our drive and not by the side of a busy road on a dark, cold night when it's raining! The tyre to be replaced by the way was still inflated, giving a reasonable amount of room to work with, what if it was flat?

Is there a knack to doing this or is it meant to be almost impossible?

On the plus side though, the Alko side lift jack was brilliant!

Yossa

Fortunately it has never happened to me and, like you, all my practice runs have been on the drive, in the dry on a warm sunny day.

Is changing the wheel the sort of thing one could use the insurance breakdown cover for? On a French road, with the wheel coming out on the 'traffic' side I think it would be very dangerous for me to do the job myself.

Yossa

Earlier in the year, when our wheel clamp got jammed on the wheel I removed the spare wheel from the carrier just in case. I did not find it easy. If you use the AlKo sidelift jack you are supposed to have the van attached to the car for safety reasons. One side affect of this is that ideally to get at the wheel carrier its best to have the nose of the van as low as you can. Someone once asked if it would be better to have the spare wheel at the back or do as Avondale do put it under the floor accessable from within the caravan.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Guest Dave Elcome
or do as Avondale do put it under the floor accessable from within the caravan.

David

39072[/snapback]

This is the most sensible thing I have ever seen in a caravan, Why oh Why don't all manufacturers follow suit?????

I wonder if there is any way you could "retro fit" a wheel carrier to a caravan. .

There must be a spare part number for the Avondale wheel carrier - could this be cut into the floor of another van??

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

For 10 years when we had a Monza, we travelled with the spare wheel on the floor, in the caravan. When we got to our destination we put it in the back of the towcar. Wasn't life simpler in those days!! ( sold it in 2003. It's still being used now.)

Mikey :D

Actually since our experiences in France a couple of years a go I do not have my wheel in the under-slung carrier. .

It is in the toilet area -- we take it out when we get to a site and it is under the van -- OK someone will say it might get pinched - but after wrestling with the under-slung carrier on the side of a French road, that is the last of my worries.

Even if the thing pulled out from the back of the van it would make more sense -- but I don't suppose that manufacturers can get their head around that one.

The only reason that they put it under there is because to put it in the front locker would increase the nose weight more than most tugs can accommodate.

Actually since our experiences in France a couple of years a go I do not have my wheel in the under-slung carrier. .

It is in the toilet area -- we take it out when we get to a site and it is under the van -- OK someone will say it might get pinched - but after wrestling with the under-slung carrier on the side of a French road, that is the last of my worries.

Even if the thing pulled out from the back of the van it would make more sense -- but I don't suppose that manufacturers can get their head around that one.

The only reason that they put it under there is because to put it in the front locker would increase the nose weight more than most tugs can accommodate.

39153[/snapback]

My spare wheel is in my front locker. I really should get round to checking the noseweight. ..... :huh: :unsure:

The new curvy baby Adria (ABI adventurer comes to mind - remeber that anyone??) apparently has a spare wheel carrier that comes out at the rear of the van.

If they can do it, why can't others. I have never had the misfortune to have to replace a tyre yet, but would imagine it's not exactly elegant or safe.

We've done this one before. Have a look at other threads for more info. Always best to have a trial run and get the spare wheel out before you go away, mine is a bit of a pig but I have adjusted the position of the wheel to give me a bit more space to play with. Generally a pain in the a*** but I either have the wheel their or in the van at the rear due to Sterlings high nose weight issues. The fitted clamp screw in the front locker is fine if you have no gas bottles in. No problem with space but too much nose weight 115kg+ if you aren't careful. A good design that was. With a bit of juggling about its not too bad but I do have Tyrons bands now and would not consider removing a wheel on the traffic side without making sure I was away from the road and the considerate and careful drivers upon it. If that meant driving off the road a bit then so be it. My safety comes before any punctured tyre.

cheers

Bob

I got rid of my wheel carrier, the spare is on the caravan floor above the axle.

I have punctureseal in the tyres. :) if I do have a puncture, :o on the motorway, I am confident that mayday rescue will manage :rolleyes:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Is changing the wheel the sort of thing one could use the insurance breakdown cover for?  On a French road, with the wheel coming out on the 'traffic' side I think it would be very dangerous for me to do the job myself.

39061[/snapback]

Thats a very good point! The only problem is that when we had a problem, both tyres were damaged. Now, we rang the Caravan Club, Red Pennant (at 3. 15pm on a Saturday) and told them that we needed two new tyres before we could continue our journey. I duly gave them the size of the tyres and waited for two hours for someone to turn up. We were then told that that they 'didn't do tyres'. We then waited a further three hours for the recovery vehicle. So much for breakdown insurance.

Yossa

I did a 'dummy run' and found it was a lengthy and almost impossible task to get the wheel out. With a flat tyre it would be impossible and with caravan jacked up you would have to go 'underneath'. No thanks.

I now carry the wheel 'incar' behind the front passenger seat - No kids. I then put it back into the van when it is in storage.

I have plans to remove the 'heavy useless carrier' and save some weight for more clothes [for the Missus].

Mike B)

I did a 'dummy run' and found it was a lengthy and almost impossible task to get the wheel out. With a flat tyre it would be impossible and with caravan jacked up you would have to go 'underneath'. No thanks.

I now carry the wheel 'incar' behind the front passenger seat - No kids. I then put it back into the van when it is in storage.

I have plans to remove the 'heavy useless carrier' and save some weight for more clothes [for the Missus].

Mike B)

39479[/snapback]

We had a problem a year ago in France when we had a blowout and were left with the 'van sitting on the rim. We couldn't get a jack under the axle (or the chassis rail at the axle). The purchase of a side lift jack fixed that one - easy to use even if the wheel has fallen off. As for the spare wheel carrier, some manufacturers fit the standard Alko carrier with the wheel in the centre. THIS IS WRONG. You will not be able to slide the wheel out like this. The carrier must be positioned to one side of the 'van to allow the spare wheel and tyre to clear the chassis rails. The tubes must be kept greased (Waxoyl works well) and if you are using a padlock to stop it being nicked (as if) this should be protected in a food basin to stop it seizing up (somewhere in top tips). The chances of a puncture are fairly remote so access doesn't need to be instantaneous - just possible. (Having said that we had two blowouts in 2 weeks).

TIP : If you have a dealer or manufacturer fitted spare wheel carrier - try and get it out on a dry day to see if you can.

Mike

Hi all,

Just re-fitted the spare wheel back in the carrier, still not easy, there is a definite 'knack' to it!

Feel much happier now having un-loaded and re-loaded the spare!

Yossa

• 1 year later...

the times we have talked about this over the years !!!!

I hate the damned thing --- I do not put my wheel there any more -- It goes in the toilet -- in the round shower on the floor on a carpet.

If anyone has ever tied to get there spare wheel from the caravan in a grass field -and succeeded -they are GODS. .

it is dam near impossible to get the wheel out == ***** the "maintain it and it will be OK!" lot -- I have done that -- on the drive striped it down - greased it put it back -- pushed - pulled and made sure it was working.

The Al-ko ones are made to be fited to either side of the van -- so you can -- if you are lucky - draw it out on either side. .

--- just you wait till you get on the road or in a grass field -- when you really need to get it out. .. No way ho-say!!!

Trying to find if you can retro fit one of those wheel storage things that can be accesed through the floor of the van __ was it the Avondale that had them??

Maurice

We had a puncture in France, we found out after being flagged down by some French lads in an open topped merc!!! I pulled over unhitched, lowered the front of the caravan using the jockey wheel (twin axle) and lay a blanket on the ground, (always have one in the car to lay on the ground if necessary) opened the carrier. ....... spare wheel was eased out on to the blanket then slid the blanket out with the wheel on it. Worked for me.

Hi All,

I can address this problem with one finger! I use it on my mobile keyboard and call the RAC. I refuse to change tyres as it's far too dangerous by the roadside as, apparently, there are more people killed on the hard shoulder than on motorway carriageways. The advice is to get out of your vehicle and away from the road then call for help if you're covered by breakdown that is. I would still want the Highways agency to attend though, even if I wasn't covered,

Regards,

Ian.

Agree totally. The hard shoulder of a motorway is one of the most dangerous places you can be.

When I had my blowout a couple of weeks ago, one look at the situation said it was too dangerous to attempt a wheel change myself. My spare is slung under the van like most others. I called out Brittania rescue and was on my way in just over 45 mins.

Archived