Sleeping Bags Or Duvet?

Yossa

I'm amazed at how many people I see using sleeping bags in their caravan. What do you use?

Yossa

39043[/snapback]

Duvet. ..........

could I just ask how you can see what people are using in their caravans - :o

Duvet. ..........

could I just ask how you can see what people are using in their caravans -  :o

39053[/snapback]

Being friendly types, we often get asked to come around for a drink and we couldn't help but notice. ...........

Yossa

The sleeping bags look neater on the fixed bed, 2 zipped together. I have a missing corner on my bed, which I don't miss at all, I'm sure its because I use a sleeping bag (I am 5ft 9"!) It saves using a sheet too. Also it insulates the mattress for extra warmth.

Both, sleeping bag on the bottom in a Duvet cover, so I dont have to keep washing the sleeping bag, when we go away for a month or so, Duvet on top again so easy to wash cover.

Carol.

Sleeping bags for the kids, sleeping bags for wifey and me when we can't be bothered / too drunk to assemble double bed. Other times its the duvet. :D

We ordered two single Duvolets with 2" foam from Raskelf (being assured by the nice Yorkshire lady on the phone that this would be best for the more - eh-em - portly gentleman) with summer weight duvet inserts.

They do come with detachable covers - like a bag with two pockets - one for the mattress and one for the duvet. You can get colours such as Sage - Peppermint - Rose - Buttercup and Clotted Cream. .. all very farming.

tried out these new duvet - with memory foam beds. ...

Mixed receptions. ..

lets get the bad or other points out first

a. need more space to roll up - you cant just"stuff " them in the bed locker. they need folding and rolling. .

b. they only come in one direction --- ie. the duvet cover comes over from the left so if you are using two single beds on is a bit awkward to get comfy in. (guess who's)

c. they could do with a bag or something to go in for storage - they say they give a bag but once you have un-packed it from the bag it is near impossible to go back in --- such is memory foam.

d. The memory foam mattress bit seems to "move" in its compartment and this causes problems when packing away each morning.

The good bits. ..

a. Very comfy to sleep on.

b. irons out all bumps and lumps in the joints of the cushions that make up the bed.

c. The covers are easy to remove for laundry when you get home.

d. The duvet overlay is really soft and light but nice and warm in cooler nights.

e. Had good nights sleep after the first night when they smelt of "newness" from the foam.

Would I buy them again

For the comfort and "sleep-ability" yes

for the "put away factor" no

They are a lot more expensive than a couple of top class sleeping-bags or duvets so you would have to weigh this up first as well

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

I get 10% of the duvet whether I want it or not.

We also have a mattress topper a thin memory foam sheet about 25mm or so thick that seems to have ironed out the major lumpy bits and a better nights sleep resulted. It also rolls up fairly small and fits in the underbed locker. Ebay price £19 not bad for a trial which seems to have worked.

cheers

Bob

I was joking about the 10% duvet I really get 20%.

Sleeping bags - unzipped and used as duvets when bed open as a double, zipped and as sleeping bags when beds kept as singles. :)

I guess that my original post was a bit biased in that not all vans have fixed beds. We make the vans' bed up as we would the one at home.

We also carry a spare set of mattress and pillow protectors and bed linen so we can change the bed during our holidays.

We have used sleeping bags in the past but only in our two person tent, in our larger tent we always had a bed made up. In this respect, we could never contemplate being in a nice cosy caravan and then use sleeping bags.

Yossa

Hi All,

We have a 4. 5 TOG and a 13. 5 TOG double duvet . In the summer we have the 4. 5 TOG on the top to keep cool, in the winter we swap so the 13. 5 TOG is on the top for warmth.

Works for us.

Also easier to launder the duvet covers after each trip as opposed to getting the sleeping bags cleaned regularly.

Cheers

Steve

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

As an aside, a few months ago I got a "self inflating" foam filled camping mattress from Aldi. It's only about 40mm thick when inflated and rolls down to a thick cylinder when not in use.

It is excellent to put across cushions etc. where it bridges all the joints and ensures a warm and very comfortable night's sleep.

We have narrowest available mattress toppers from IKEA, which make the cushions much more comfortable, then we use sleeping bags with old duvet covers inside as liners, which can be easily washed.

Christmas and birthdays I might zip the sleeping bags together and faff about putting the double bed up!! ;)

Archived