Bmw 320d

Audiman

Hi, I've got an '02 320d saloon and it tows my Bailey Discovery 515 very well. Its the 150bhp model and i believe the newer ones are 163bhp, and the older ones 136bhp. You will need to get a detachable swan neck towbar fitted because of the reversing sensors. I've just fitted a tuning box to mine which gives at least 20% more torque, not that i needed to for towing but had the chance of a 2nd hand one at a good price. The kerb weight is 1490kg.

hth Paul

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, I've got an '02 320d saloon and it tows my Bailey Discovery 515 very well. Its the 150bhp model and i believe the newer ones are 163bhp, and the older ones 136bhp. You will need to get a detachable swan neck towbar fitted because of the reversing sensors. I've just fitted a tuning box to mine which gives at least 20% more torque, not that i needed to for towing but had the chance of a 2nd hand one at a good price. The kerb weight is 1490kg.

hth Paul

39044[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. ...computer problems!!

Sounds good, I have put in an order for one and am sure that RWD and a bit more grunt than my A4 will be just the ticket!

Cheers

Thanks for the reply

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. ...computer problems!!

Sounds good, I have put in an order for one and am sure that RWD and a bit more grunt than my A4 will be just the ticket!

Cheers

40918[/snapback]

Thought I'd pop in my 2cents worth. I've got a 2001 320d Touring and pull a 1400Kg van behind. I have to say that I'm sorely disappointed with the power. The performance debate for me was started when I test drove a VW 2. 0 TDI a few weeks ago and it was *massively* more powerful than my car, which was a shock! I took it to the local BMW dealers and they said it had a problem and I've had a new 'mass airflow meter' fitted to improve performance and it's still not very good. Nothing like anything else. I'm at the point now where I have what has to be a brilliant solo car but struggles pulling a van.

On paper the 320d should be brilliant but I suspect that although on paper the car is more powerful than it's VW/Audio counterparts it's also significantly heavier and therefore the BHP/tonne ratio is actually lower.

Another consideration is that these are really small cars, way smaller than a Passat I had and we struggle to get the necessary bits & bobs in the car and have now bought a roof box.

The passenger seating area in the back is quite cramped too.

I'd choose a Passat over the BMW or Audi any day. It's way bigger than the others, a bit like a tardis. FYI - The Freelander TD4 is exactly the same engine as the 320d but is tuned for pulling rather than peak performance.

My advice? Don't get one for towing. The 320d is a brilliant solo car and not to be faulted on build quality and features *but* consider it's built for statistically max BHP & torque but the power curves are just rubbish for towing.

I'll be selling mine in the new year and moving on to something like the X-Trail/Sorento.

On paper the 320d should be brilliant but I suspect that although on paper the car is more powerful than it's VW/Audio counterparts it's also significantly heavier and therefore the BHP/tonne ratio is actually lower.

Another consideration is that these are really small cars, way smaller than a Passat I had and we struggle to get the necessary bits & bobs in the car and have now bought a roof box.

I'd choose a Passat over the BMW or Audi any day. It's way bigger than the others, a bit like a tardis. FYI - The Freelander TD4 is exactly the same engine as the 320d but is tuned for pulling rather than peak performance.

My advice? Don't get one for towing. The 320d is a brilliant solo car and not to be faulted on build quality and features *but* consider it's built for statistically max BHP & torque but the power curves are just rubbish for towing.

I'll be selling mine in the new year and moving on to something like the X-Trail/Sorento.

41086[/snapback]

The Passat TDI PD 130 at 1565kgs is in fact heavier than either the BMW320d or the Audi A4 TDI. The new Passat 2. 0D is even heavier at 1648kgs. We chose the Passat over the BMW and Audi and a C class. The Passat is an excellent all rounder and £ for lb is difficult to beat.

The BMW 320d engine is used in the Rover 75 and there are good reports on that combination. For real grunt the 330d would be a better choice.

Frank

. The new Passat 2. 0D is even heavier at 1648kgs.

41095[/snapback]

Looking at the VW website last night, it is interesting that VW finally have a 2. 0 diesel engine with similar power (torque not useless BHP's) to the 2. 0TDCI Ford engine.

Still not quite enough to beat it; with 320nm at 1750rpm its still a little below the Ford. ..

Having got the 'cheap' shot in, I probably will go for a Passat estate next time :P

The trouble is I don't like the appearance of the new Passat. It looks too much like a cross between a Mazda 6 and a BMW 5 series. There is nothing wrong with either of these others but I hoped that VW would have improved on the earlier model. Only my opinion of course.

I find that I am driving my wifes Corsa more to keep the mileage down on the Passat. :)

As far as power and torque is concerned,it's not what you read on paper, it's the way it is delivered that matters :)

Frank

• 2 weeks later...
Thought I'd pop in my 2cents worth. I've got a 2001 320d Touring and pull a 1400Kg van behind. I have to say that I'm sorely disappointed with the power. The performance debate for me was started when I test drove a VW 2. 0 TDI a few weeks ago and it was *massively* more powerful than my car, which was a shock! I took it to the local BMW dealers and they said it had a problem and I've had a new 'mass airflow meter' fitted to improve performance and it's still not very good. Nothing like anything else. I'm at the point now where I have what has to be a brilliant solo car but struggles pulling a van.

41086[/snapback]

Sorry but i have to disagree, my 320d tows fantastically well, i take it yours is the 136bhp model which may be why you are dissapointed, i cant fault mine and it pulls our large van like a train. If Audiman has ordered a new one then it will be the 163bhp model which will probably be even better :)

I would like to recommend the "new" shape Skoda Octavia 2. 0 Tdi, 140 bhp, 6 speed box, pulls our discovery easy and 36 mpg :)

I've an 03 320d Touring. I am really pleased with it both solo and towing. It hugs the road and feels so solid and safe.

If you want speed, there is plenty there for safe overtaking, even with the 'van attached. Solo, best mpg was from Northampton to Newcastle upon Tyne, cruise control set at 75, aircon off, got an incredible 61. 5mpg.

Towing, between 30-34mpg. Not sure what deal is offered on new today, mine came with 3 year full warranty or 60k and 5 years free servicing or 100k, whichever comes sooner.

I've an 03 320d Touring. I am really pleased with it both solo and towing. It hugs the road and feels so solid and safe.

If you want speed, there is plenty there for safe overtaking, even with the 'van attached. Solo, best mpg was from Northampton to Newcastle upon Tyne, cruise control set at 75, aircon off, got an incredible 61. 5mpg.

Towing, between 30-34mpg. Not sure what deal is offered on new today, mine came with 3 year full warranty or 60k and 5 years free servicing or 100k, whichever comes sooner.

42183[/snapback]

have no doubt as to how good the bm is, but the 61mpg at 75mph. was that

a computer reading, as you are right 61mpg at 75mph is incredible.

Hello,

My brother took one out recently (150 bhp touring model) and although it did seems to go fine it was small inside? (he doesn't tow so towing performance not an issue)

We are both 6ft 2 and with my brother driving I was well cramped behind him, the boot also isn't 'that' big, guess it depends on what you want. The very latest model should be better again (163bhp) and maybe larger??

Maybe worth looking at some of the new Audi's with the 2. 0TDi engines also? I quite like the A4 estates and you could go for the quattro system?

just my 1p's worth.

Scott

42185[/snapback]

In 6th gear, 2000 rpm. No delays on the journey, yes, computer reading.

I usually leave the aircon on all the time and, on a trip, I get 55+.

I almost always do 600 miles between filling up.

On regards to room, its enough for us 2 with our dogs in the boot and awning etc in the back. Yes, it would be cramped for 4 adults and luggage, but that's no problem for us.

42185[/snapback]

Are we talking about resetting the 'on the fly' fuel consumption reading on the trip computer whilst moving? I can get fairly similar (if not better) by resetting the meter whilst travelling at 70-75mph.

Drops like a stone with the van on the back though :P

Reading some of the discussions, I thought I would do a little more research!

Dimensions of the new 320 are about the same as the old 5 series

163 BhP

350 Nm of torque

I agree about the 330, but just toooooooo expensive!!

i know the sensible money would be to buy a VW Passat, but then if we were all sensible then we would buy a Skoda, which is in essence an Audi without drag!..........which was part of the appeal for the Beemer. ......you know

Audi = Skoda

Volvo = Ford Focus

Jaguar X Type = Mondeo

C Class = Old man!!! ;)

Why not try a C270CDI Sport Coupe,it has more room inside than the BM with more pizazz and costs around £27k. Definitely nor an old mans car.

Seriously though I think you should buy a new B6 Passat so that we Passat owners get the benefit of a long term test before jumping in ourselves. :lol:

I hope that you enjoy whatever you buy. :)

Frank

Seriously though I think you should buy a new B6 Passat so that we Passat owners get the benefit of a long term test before jumping in ourselves. :lol:

42587[/snapback]

Please do! I'm looking at changing the old company mundanoe in about 35,000miles time (about 5months), so will need to place an order in a couple of months time. ..

Really fancy a change from a Mondeo, with this one being the second one in a row.

The Passat is on my list of cars to try, along with a couple of others. This time it will definitely be an AUTO box, as my limbs are falling apart at the mo. We get plenty of demonstrators to try, but the problem is knowing how well they tow, without being able to tow with them.

Gaz