Sign in to follow this  
dap560

Stanage Edge, Peak District

Hi all you ramblers, me and family have been walking for a few years now, been to most of the usual country walks, lake district, yorkshire, cairngorms but my heart belongs to derbyshire,

Stanage edge is my absolute favourite place to go walking, been there several times, I like to watch the rock climbers when having a breather and a cuppa, and the stunning views are to die for.

We keep our caravan near Bakewell all year round, so explore the peak district most weekends.

What is your favourite place? Regards Denise :):ph34r:

Hi Denise,

We live not too far from the Brecon Beacons so enjoy some good walking there, but our favourite place has to be the Lake District - no particular place/fell, although we usually pitch up at Troutbeck and take in the Northern Fells. Hubby can't wait to get back up there and I'm sure he'd happily put the van on a seasonal pitch there, if it wasn't for the fact that we like to tour as well.

Regards, Glen.

PS. We did stay for a week at Grin Low (name now changed!) last year and enjoyed some good peak district walks.

Last year we had a week at the Barnard Castle CC site and there are so may good walks from the site, all well signposted too.

We did part of the Pennine Way from there too.

We like to cycle and walk from Black Knowl CC site in the New Forest in September as there are many many miles of good walking there.

Hi Denise,

We live not too far from the Brecon Beacons so enjoy some good walking there, but our favourite place has to be the Lake District - no particular place/fell, although we usually pitch up at Troutbeck and take in the Northern Fells. Hubby can't wait to get back up there and I'm sure he'd happily put the van on a seasonal pitch there, if it wasn't for the fact that we like to tour as well.

Regards, Glen.

PS. We did stay for a week at Grin Low (name now changed!) last year and enjoyed some good peak district walks.

We love the lake district also, can understand it being your favourite place, we stayed in the middle of nowhere pre caravan days in a cottage and walked part of the pennine way, we stopped for a cuppa at a place called high cup nick (I think) it was magical.

Derbyshire hills hold my heart because a few years ago the family was going thro' a crisis, and it was my healing place.

Never been to Brecon beacons but on my list.

Regards Denise

We now live in East Anglia where you can see the horizon in all directions, but our favourite place has to be the Lakes, pre caravan days we used to camp in Langdale, just down the road from the ODG hotel - used to go 3-4 times a year with our Vango Force 10 for the kids and a dome for us - first walk would be the Langdale Pikes just to get us in the mood. We'd occaisionally rent a cottage for the Easter holidays trip coz it got a bit cold in a tent for the kids - especially at the end of March. The peaks were our next favourite, camping in Edale and a couple of times we used a camping barn. Lots of trips to Snowdonia - you can't beat standing on top of Snowdon mid January with the snow falling and a couple of trips to the Breacon Beacons.

Can't get SWMBO back into a tent any more so its the utter luxury of our Unicorn - central heating, proper beds and no washing under an outside tap. , We've done the Lakes and Peaks in the van but not managed Wales yet. Hopefully we'll get back to Troutbeck Head later this year, however the walking isn't quite so adventurous anymore - the stamina and hips won't manage more than 6-8 miles and we can't quite manage the steep ones as easily as we once did.

The Mortimer Forest from Ludlow to Croft Castle takes some beating for a moderate walk with wonderful views over the Marches.

Never been to Brecon beacons but on my list.

Or the Black Mountains not far from there! The CC site at Pandy is a decent place to stay. No shortage of good food in the area, plenty of walking, huge views.

P. S. Stanage is pretty good too.

Edited by BryanS

Britain may be a small island but it so rich in beautiful scenery and I have only seen a fraction of it, the more I read on this thread the more I want to get out there NOW, my list is growing longer daily. Two weeks to go then me and family are off to our van don't care if 6ft snow falls we're off on our jollies.

Keep up the good walk. . :rolleyes:

. ... I'm lucky . .. I can just open my back door . ... and I could walk in a straight line . .. for 24miles . ...

. .. before I hit a road . ... the dogs love it . ...

Cheers

Pete

. ... I'm lucky . .. I can just open my back door . ... and I could walk in a straight line . .. for 24miles . ...

. .. before I hit a road . ... the dogs love it . ...

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete, I'm envious, it sounds like my kind of ideal home. Open my door and walk across the main road

towards the shops up another road and hey presto the fosse way A46, busy busy. Still we can't have it all ( why not?).

Regards Denise

Hi Denise . ......

. ... you pays your money . ... you take your choice . ......

. ... down-side . .... 25 miles to nearest, decent supermarket and shops . ....!!!

Cheers

Pete

Hi at the present walking in the Costa Blanca my pic shows me leading a walk over the Dragons teeth, back to the UK in April Peak Dist. in May have done Stanage Hedge before but will do it again, like to walk over Looshill to Edale for a pint or two and then come back via Mam Tor ant the Blue John mine have four weeks booked in the Lakes starting in June so looking foreword to that Tony

Im with dap560, just love walking in the peaks,id be hard pressed to pick a favourite, they all seem to offer somthing different :)

one of the best walks is straight out of Castleton (losehill that was) site up onto win Hill behind and then across the ridge to Mam tor and then drop back down to Castleton to a coffee shop/pub. Great views across ladybower & Edale etc. Just have to fend off sheep when eating sandwiches.

or more leisurely and flat walk is up behind the site and Losehill hall as above but across the fields to Hope and back across the other side of the river across fields to Castleton.

Edited by proterra

in my serious walking days (not that many years ago!!) loved the walk from Hope - up Lose Hill, along the ridge through Hollins Cross/Mam Tor, across the road to Rushup Edge, cut across onto the top of Kinder Scout, continue to Jaggers Clough where we came off Kinder, then up Win Hill and finally down again to Hope.

another brilliant walk in the Peak is the Lower Round of Kinder - much harder than going round the top of Kinder.

Oh happy memories!!

Did a nice walk last March starting at Hathersage, straight up to Stanage edge. along the edge a bit then dropped down the track and headed down towards Bamford then back to Hathersage along the side of the river. A really nice walk.

We don't really do 'serious' walking now. We rather prefer jolly nice walks, between 6 and 10 miles with a few hills to add interest and a pub somewhere about half way or at the end.

hi its lovely walking on angelsey, a couple of years ago the wife and i walked sixty miles of the coastal path on that beautiful island, and raised thirteen hundred and ten pounds in the process for muscuilar distrafie. it was amazing we where back packing and did a bit of rough camping one place sticks in the mind though is church bay after a very long first day dropping in to that tiny village was shear joyful, there is a c/c site there it was great where doing the rest of the walk in smaller chunks because its just amazing the wild life both on land and sea oh i could go on and on fully recommended all the best jimmy41

hi its lovely walking on angelsey, a couple of years ago the wife and i walked sixty miles of the coastal path on that beautiful island, and raised thirteen hundred and ten pounds in the process for muscuilar distrafie. it was amazing we where back packing and did a bit of rough camping one place sticks in the mind though is church bay after a very long first day dropping in to that tiny village was shear joyful, there is a c/c site there it was great where doing the rest of the walk in smaller chunks because its just amazing the wild life both on land and sea oh i could go on and on fully recommended all the best jimmy41

That sounds really lovely Jimmy, its many years since me and hubby visited Wales we stayed in Llanberis and toured around visiting lots of places including Angelsey, fab scenery. My daughter was there last year camping and walking and fell in love with all of it. Well done to you and your wife for raising such a large amount of money for such a worthy cause, I admire you both for that, Denise :)

That sounds really lovely Jimmy, its many years since me and hubby visited Wales we stayed in Llanberis and toured around visiting lots of places including Angelsey, fab scenery. My daughter was there last year camping and walking and fell in love with all of it. Well done to you and your wife for raising such a large amount of money for such a worthy cause, I admire you both for that, Denise :)

Thanks to you Denise i'd recommend church bay, tell your daughter BRILLIANT!!! It's right on the coastal path and a beautifull pub just a short walk up the hill where you can enjoy the views. All the very Tricia&Jim

Sign in to follow this