Get Started Cycling

I am pleased to see an expansion of the forum to include Hobbies and Interests. I am a convert to cycling and really feel it has a bad image with others so thought I would get in early with a bit of encouragement.

I got into cycling at the age of about 45 having hardly been on a bike for 30 years. In a bit of a mad moment I entered the London - Brighton bike ride; all 54 miles of it. Out came the bike and of I went only to find all I could manage was three miles!

On a reasonable (not expensive) bike that is the right size and with the right saddle it should not be uncomfortable. OK it can be a bit if you push yourself but in life you need to now and again. About six weeks later I breezed through the London-Brighton.

I fancied a 100 miler and so entered the Norwich 100 - I had the silly idea that Norfolk was nice and flat. It is not and OK 100 miles over about 8 hours is a bit of a slog. Great to do though.

Pushing on three of us did London to Paris a couple of years ago. That was 280 miles in three days.

After that I have eased off and now just take the bike out now and again. My wife now cycles with me most times and it is a great escape. We find it combines well with the Caravan and really makes the break great with a cycle ride in a new area and we will use them for shot pops to the beach etc.

In most of UK there is a world of back lanes that are quiet safe and lovely to see. Cycling is much easier than jogging. If you want to lose weight then it is burning 500 calories in an hour! Apart from the odd hill you will not know you have put that much effort in.

To start I would say get a mountain bike but put road tyres on it. Knobbly ones use up lots of energy. But the gearing of a mountain bike is good for the beginner.

The world goes by at a really relaxing pace, not too slow like walking but quiet and at times thrilling. Instead of nature running away you glide past most animals and see much more.

You go off to lots of lovely places. You get to really see them on a bike.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not my main hobby but I've found cycling a great way of boosting and improving my running.

I've run a lot of half marathons and 10ks and when I really want to post a quick time some speed, hill and distance work in the saddle works wonders.

Great way of seeing your local area too.

Can't recommend it enough. ...

Bailey Approach 760SE
LandRover Defender XS

Range Rover Evoque

I used to like biking. Sadly though I have a knee and hip that are less than perfect so hills are out for me.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

We have cycled all our lives since early childhood. Never in an extreme way, in our youth to school college and fair weather commuting and now at near 70 it is typically up to a 25/30 mile pleasure ride.

Since starting camping in the 60s bikes have always complemented our trips; we just feel for what we want out of a recreational break they work so well together with camping be it tent. trailer or caravan.

In recent times our usage of bikes has increased at the expense of our other associated camping passion walking, with murmuring hips cycling is less painful than all day walks.

Now fortunately we can pamper our interest with some lovely kit. Today there is much more affordable good equipment out there but if thinking of taking it up then do take the time to seek out a few small enthusiastic retailers and really listen to the freely available advice.

Nothing kills cycling enthusiasm like a poor heavy unresponsive, unsuitable for task bike.

I love cycling, currently cycling to work and back 3-4 times per week. Also take them in the van wherever possible and use them when away. Love beiing outside on them and seeing so much more than when in a car. We dont' have anything special, just normal mountain bikes. Love to research nice routes prior to going away using either books or the internet. Hopefully will continue on for many years

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

I've been a cyclist since early teens and I use the bike to commute when I can. Work is only 6 miles away and the journey takes in riverside path, old railway tracks, narrow B roads and a bit of A road. I travel in all weathers except snow and night or day make no difference. These last few frosty evenings have been a delight seeing the moonlight on the white fields.

Mrs H accompanies me of a summer evening and when we are out in the caravan and the chilren have all been introduced to cycling.

I did my cycling instructor's course in 2009 but never completed the assessment.

In 2010, tired of the continual maintenance of gears and brakes necessary when cycling on tracks I treated myself to a bike with hub gears and roller brakes. I've been using puncture-resistant tyres and haven't had to deal with a puncture for about 6 years.

My 22-year-old son and I are thinking of doing the coast to coast Whitehaven to Suderland later this year. We aim to take plenty of time. Wish us luck!

:)

hawkaye :beardy:

I used to like biking. Sadly though I have a knee and hip that are less than perfect so hills are out for me.

Sorry to hear that Easy T. Oddly I got into cycling as I have bad knees (Wear behind kneecap if anyone want to know). Running was out but swimming and cycling are great - walking not too much.

I went from not being able to walk up two flights of stairs and being in pain every day to being fine with stairs and generally being up and around without pain simply by regular exercise and keeping my weight down to 12 and a half stone max.

I now just get problems if I overdo it, dont exercise for a while or say stand on a ladder for a while.

What it does (I am told) is by exercising you build up muscle and this changes the position of the tendon going over the knee and kneecap.

We have cycled all our lives since early childhood. Never in an extreme way, in our youth to school college and fair weather commuting and now at near 70 it is typically up to a 25/30 mile pleasure ride.

Since starting camping in the 60s bikes have always complemented our trips; we just feel for what we want out of a recreational break they work so well together with camping be it tent. trailer or caravan.

In recent times our usage of bikes has increased at the expense of our other associated camping passion walking, with murmuring hips cycling is less painful than all day walks.

Now fortunately we can pamper our interest with some lovely kit. Today there is much more affordable good equipment out there but if thinking of taking it up then do take the time to seek out a few small enthusiastic retailers and really listen to the freely available advice.

Nothing kills cycling enthusiasm like a poor heavy unresponsive, unsuitable for task bike.

A very good point there . ...I did a triathlon a couple of years ago, only wanted to do one just to say I'd done it and didn't want to buy a road bike just for one event. ....so I used my mountain bike with standard knobbly tyres.

*Exclamation* what a mistake that was - I've never been in so much pain pedalling into a strong headwind, driving rain. Everyone on road bikes flying past me.

I bought a road bike shortly afterwards and found the difference unbelievable- a comfy 20 miles on the mtb became a just as easy 35 miles on the road bike.

As you say the choice and level of kit on modern bikes is staggering, there truly is a budget for anyone to get started.

Bailey Approach 760SE
LandRover Defender XS

Range Rover Evoque

Good point about the tyres. A friend of mine had the same mountain bike as me but fitted road tyres to it.

I couldn't believe the difference.

I have always had a bike, for transport as a school kid, and at uni, then a mountain bike when the kids were younger. I now have an old 1990s road bike, and get out for a ride at least 3 times a week. My 23 year old son and I are taking part in our first sportif (60 miles) in March, I can't wait!!! I'll not be anywhere near the fastest, but it should be a good day out.

Unfortunately, I can't persuade my other half to get on a bike, so mine stays at home when we're caravanning.

Used to cycle to my work when I lived in Blantyre. From Blantyre to Glasgow Airport round trip just over 40 miles. Was hard at the start plus my 12 hour shift could turn into 15 hour day due to traveling time and depending on which way the wind was blowing. Once I was in the "Grove" loved it and used to get annoyed if a missed a trip due to ice and snow. Saved a fortune on petrol and was at my fittest peak ever. Was averaging 1 hour 10 minutes to do 20 miles and that was just doddling along at a constant pace with only one bad hill on my return journey. Was shot at with an air gun, chased by a bunch of Hoodies on numerous occasions whilst cycling threw the more friendlier parts of Glasgow and had near death situations due to unforgiving fellow road users :wacko: but did not deter me once. I used a Hybrid (mix between Road and Mountain Bike ) Kept the mountain bike tyres though for a quick escape. So as to protect the wheels bumping up kerbs due to inconsiderate motorists and very poor roads in places. Now that I'm a " country yokel " a round trip is over 60 miles. Did it once but just too dangerous especially the Strathaven East Kilbride 7 mile stretch. Take my bike when away in the Van. Very handy going out for the morning paper and a wee fly trip to the nearest Boozer ! Shall make maximum efforts to get back on my bike this year. Great for the ticker ! ;)

Grumpy Auld Smeesh. ................ :angry:

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Hi to you all out there. Cycling ah yes. I started back in 1956 at the age of 11yrs,my mother & father were told it would be the finest thing that they could encourage me to do. I didn't walk until I was 7yrs old.

I had a series of bikes but in 1961 I bought my first serious piece of kit,it was a 1937 Hetchins Vibrant Triangle (Curly) track bike. I rode fixed wheel for years and eventually had it converted for road use with a double chainring and a 5spd block.

I stupidly sold it in 1967 when I got married.

I have had a number of bikes since then but my present passion is a 2000 Bianchi Gold Race Reparto Corse on a 9spd Campagnolo and a triple up front (my ID photo).

I had a total left knee replacement on 1st Nov 2007 and being very short in stature I went onto 140mm crank arms in order to get the full circulatory action of the pedals. I am restricted to a 93* bend at the knee and standard cranks mean that the pedal comes to high at the top of the stroke.

My other bike is a 2009 Claud Butler Levante a Hybrid Road Bike. Despite the knee and a wonky right one(pending replacement) I can still climb a 1-5 and manage short ramped bumps at 1-41/2.

It is the best all round exercise for Cardio Vascular maintainance.

post-37348-0-82309300-1327183113_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheTravellingRooster

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

I used to cycle 30miles a day until I got hit by a ford sierra !!! - Man they hurt.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Hi again. My other bike. The 2009 Claud Butler.

post-37348-0-99309900-1327183601_thumb.jpg

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Been cycling for ever ever since I got a Raleigh Hercules at age 11. ... used to 30 miles each way to and from school at weekends. .. all without gears. Still cycle but do it on canals and old railway lines. Never seem to find any hills though, not found out why. ... I keep some of my favourite routes on this site: http://www. scarsdale037. webspace. virginmedia. com/cycling. html

Always look on the bright . .. side of life . .. de. .da de. .da de. .da de. .da.
Bailey Cadiz S4 2019, Ford Edge 2.0

Hi to you all out there. Cycling ah yes. I started back in 1956 at the age of 11yrs,my mother & father were told it would be the finest thing that they could encourage me to do. I didn't walk until I was 7yrs old.

I had a series of bikes but in 1961 I bought my first serious piece of kit,it was a 1937 Hetchins Vibrant Triangle (Curly) track bike. I rode fixed wheel for years and eventually had it converted for road use with a double chainring and a 5spd block.

I stupidly sold it in 1967 when I got married.

I have had a number of bikes since then but my present passion is a 2000 Bianchi Gold Race Reparto Corse on a 9spd Campagnolo and a triple up front (my ID photo).

I had a total left knee replacement on 1st Nov 2007 and being very short in stature I went onto 140mm crank arms in order to get the full circulatory action of the pedals. I am restricted to a 93* bend at the knee and standard cranks mean that the pedal comes to high at the top of the stroke.

My other bike is a 2009 Claud Butler Levante a Hybrid Road Bike. Despite the knee and a wonky right one(pending replacement) I can still climb a 1-5 and manage short ramped bumps at 1-41/2.

It is the best all round exercise for Cardio Vascular maintainance.

Good to see you have found ways of getting over or around problems, sounds well worked out.

I have a fairly old Felt bike road racer that I have squeezed slightly bigger tyres on as i am not against the stopwatch and prefer not to have punctures. Three rings up front and I got a smaller small ring to help me up the hills.

Also have a horrid cheap "mountain bike" with commuter tyres on it. Wife has slightly better bike and the idea was my bike would slow me down so we kept the same pace. Now she has got into it more I have trouble keeping up.

So we can both go out on racers I got her a road bike, a Raleigh Stratos which is about 35 years old. I have restored it to orignial with the two tone tyres and it looks lovely. So we have the odd road ride and then the pair of runabout bikes for campsites and tracks.

I keep meaning to get back on the bike. .... I have an older ridgid Mountain bike which was really good at the time and made by Checker Pig. The only problem I have is my collarbone when I snapped my Acromioclavicular ligament a few years ago and the bike was a smaller chassis more aggresive riding position race bike not the cheaper more upright and relaxed ones. But this year I plan on getting it out and seeing how far (not miles but pain tolerance) I can go before I decide to give up and find a more comfortable bike. I was planning on having two sets of wheels to use one with road tyres and one set with MTB tyres. .. Luckily I dont need to buy extra wheels as my wife has the same make of bike and I can swap between the two. . But if I do but a new bike I would get a spare set of wheels. I used to love getting out and with a friend of mine we used to average about 100 miles a week come rain or snow on routes either close to home in the Sherwood forest or in Derbyshire. Since moving away and not having a bike partner has made it a bit of a pain and with no off road routes close to us it would mean a trip out and as my wife refuses to do more than 5 or 6 miles the bike has sat doing nothing. .. So the plan to have road and MTB tyres will let me go and do some road miles and now we dont have to worry about taking a dog away I can fit the bikes in the back of the car when we go away and try and get my wife to try going cycling again. I will just have to work a bit harder on road. .... lol.

Builder of the Fastest Sports bikes in Europe. EX Nurburgring Lap Record holder 7m 17sec. 600cc of pure adrenaline!

Seat Freetrack, Bailey Olympus 534. Yamaha R1, Yamaha RD200 project, Aprilia RS250 trackday/race bike, Tuned 125cc Honda CRF50 supermotard, Ducati 900SS.

I like cycling but don't usually always get the time, when I do though me and my middle son who's 10 usually just take off on a nice night. Because of work I now don't get out on it as much plus the wind lately just put me right off! I do go to spinning classes four times a week though :o so that when I do get back out it's a doddle!

I also have bikes up at the caravan, just plain mountain bikes up there. I did get a his and hers but my Husband can't be bothered, smokes too much and can't manage so our middle son stole his bike up there too :D Our youngest would come with us but some of the routes we go are too hard for him yet and my eldest occassionally comes with us.

The last few days with it being freezing still but sunny i've wanted to get out on my bike just never had the chance. I usually stay clear of roads where possible and try and just stick to cycle paths, i'm also epileptic so safer to stay away from roads :D

The bike I have at home is a courier with slightly thinner wheels than the one up the caravan, can still be used off road but when you use it on smooth paths you're flying - or so it feels! Jack, my middle son's is a bit 18 gear thing :wacko: :wacko:

Compass Shadow 1988

• 2 weeks later...

Been out for my first ride of the year. .... It was a bit harder than I had expected partly due to the snow. where people had been walking and the ruts from the horses being covered by the snow. .. But my biggest worry my shoulder and the seperated collar bone are not too bad. .. I may keep the bike a bit longer before I decide to swap for a more relaxed ride. ..

img2936copy.jpg

As the eagle eyed will spot it is a small and quite aggresive riding position and fully ridgid. ..So it does give the shoulders more of a pounding than a larger suspended bike. ...

Builder of the Fastest Sports bikes in Europe. EX Nurburgring Lap Record holder 7m 17sec. 600cc of pure adrenaline!

Seat Freetrack, Bailey Olympus 534. Yamaha R1, Yamaha RD200 project, Aprilia RS250 trackday/race bike, Tuned 125cc Honda CRF50 supermotard, Ducati 900SS.

I am a keen cyclist and have a few bikes, did a ride out on my Mountain bike today and yes it was hard work in the snow but is was a good laugh.

I also have a road bike, cyclo cross bike, and hybrid, I try to ride at least 100 miles a week and enjoy cycling in new areas when we are away with the van.

Richard. ..

2012 Coachman Pastiche Platinum 560/4, PowrHD Mover, Kamper 390 awning, Tugged by a 2010 Volvo V70 D5 Geartronic TwinTurbo

ava1.jpg

Can I draw to everyone's attention the safer cycling campaign running in The Times recently. There are far too many accidents involving cyclists and those of us who ride and drive can appreciate the dangers of mixing four wheels and two.

However please don't be put off because cycling is a safe pastime. Its much better for the old legs and joints than running and a really sociable way to see the countryside. I've been cycling all my life and have completed a number of the long distance routes in the UK as well as touring on the continent. I'm a tourer not a racer but I still like a bit of Lycra now and then!!

For those with cycling partners (and super fit racing cyclist sons) I'd recommend a tandem.

I am a keen cyclist and have a few bikes, did a ride out on my Mountain bike today and yes it was hard work in the snow but is was a good laugh.

I also have a road bike, cyclo cross bike, and hybrid, I try to ride at least 100 miles a week and enjoy cycling in new areas when we are away with the van.

Richard. ..

Cool. .... I do miss going out like I used to when I was at home with parents. ... 100miles a week was an average week and those were all on the mountain bike cross country. . What I couldnt think of a better way to go and see 20 miles in a couple of hours and get fit too. ... I do love walking but still miss the fun of the off road rides with mates. .. Today was not so much fun. ... I did the usual dog walk we used to do with our dog that died in December. .. Loads of stop start and photos too. ... But still good to go and do a couple of miles on my own and remember the good stuff with the dog and how he played in the snow. ..lol. ..

For those with cycling partners I'd recommend a tandem.

I can see the appeal of the tandem; not least I could keep up with the wife!

But it is transporting it that inhibits us looking further. I don't warm to using either the car roof, particularly way up on the Disco, or a van rear rack. What's considered the optimum solution?

Been out for my first ride of the year. .... It was a bit harder than I had expected partly due to the snow. where people had been walking and the ruts from the horses being covered by the snow. .. But my biggest worry my shoulder and the seperated collar bone are not too bad. .. I may keep the bike a bit longer before I decide to swap for a more relaxed ride. ..

img2936copy.jpg

As the eagle eyed will spot it is a small and quite aggresive riding position and fully ridgid. ..So it does give the shoulders more of a pounding than a larger suspended bike. ...

Hi morepower. I hope you will forgive me for sticking my motty in. As a veteran cyclist (currently 66yrs old) my very first observation is the extra weight that you will be having to move/propel. The position that you are riding at is a very very low one in the relationship of bars & saddle height. A frame with a longer steerer tube and a slightly more compact geometry including a short reach stem and incorporating a dropped top tube will give a much more comfortable albeit upright riding posture.

I myself have two bikes,one is my Bianchi (ID image) and the other is a 2009 Claud Butler Levante Hybrid Road Bike with carbon forks.

I am actually building a third one at present based on a compact geometry Aluminium frame with carbon forks,my Claud is a very nice,lively ride but I think that the one that I am building might well win the day and possibly be the only steed in the stable very soon.

Can I draw to everyone's attention the safer cycling campaign running in The Times recently. There are far too many accidents involving cyclists and those of us who ride and drive can appreciate the dangers of mixing four wheels and two.

However please don't be put off because cycling is a safe pastime. Its much better for the old legs and joints than running and a really sociable way to see the countryside. I've been cycling all my life and have completed a number of the long distance routes in the UK as well as touring on the continent. I'm a tourer not a racer but I still like a bit of Lycra now and then!!

For those with cycling partners (and super fit racing cyclist sons) I'd recommend a tandem.

Hi mw3230. Yes it is good for a great many reasons and in particular the Cardio Vascular System. First time out in the new season after the Winter & rubbish roads lay-off really does get the heart & lungs pumping and very quickly turns the legs to jelly.