Good Manners

Inspector Bob

Hi,

I have just returned from a weekend away and wondered whether I was being unreasonable or overreacting when my neighbour tinkered with my power supply. We had been out and when we returned about 3pm I switched on the heating at 500w the power "tripped" immediately so I went to investigate. I found that the power lead had moved from one socket to another and the plug had gone into the just inserted position i. e not twisted to power up, ok no real issues except was I imagining things etc etc??? Correctly inserted plug, reset power then off we go no problems. SWMBO confirmed that she had plugged into the lower socket as I had thought and we had no problems before. About an hour later my neighbour was in a huddle around the bollard so me thinks he has been having problems and has had a bit of a play about no worries. Then blow me he then just unplugs me and carries on playing about. I thought to myself lets have a bit of patience and see what transpires, so they are now both playing about twisting and tugging with their lead. I thought it was time to find out what was going on. After a brief conversation it was clear they had swapped over our supply when we were out, no big deal but to do it when we were in, to me seems a bit off and to not even have the courtesy to explain that they had some problems to me seemed a bit off to say the least. I did mention the courtesy bit and that they should have spoken to us before disconnecting.

If they had a major internal problem it could have tripped both breakers leaving us both with no power and a defrosting fridge (warming beer). They didn't seem to have contacted the warden either. As it happened I returned to offer assistance and was met with well I am an "experienced person" almost don't interfere, at that moment I lent into their van and switched on their power at their main breaker, yes and god said let their be light. Don't want to be a smart Ar**. Off I pops to the comfort of my van. they then had issues with their gas supply and apparently had a few words with the wardens about full/empty gas cylinders. Unfortunately nosey me goes to assist again and the "experienced one" had plugged in the regulator but didn't have any gas. Comments like they've sold me an empty etc etc. Anyhow I lifted the regulator off with no real effort so switched it off and then plugged him in properly and off he goes.

Whilst we all have to go through the learning curve he did say they have been caravanning for 3 years and trying to be patient may not be my best feature. I was wondering whether other members of the forum think this is me over reacting or that they should have discussed the matter first, before pulling my plug out. Am I being territorial.

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob

In my humble opinion I feel you were not being unreasonable or territorial at all.

It would have been common courtesy to have spoken to you first.

Some people aye?

I don't think that you over reacted at all.

I think that in the circumstances, I would have have a few choice words with the culprits along the lines of 'Keep your hands off my equipment'

Yossa

I don't think I would have been so restrained in my reaction.

Disconnecting once could be construed as unfortunate, twice is just ignorance.

An invitation to "go forth and multiply" could have been forthcoming. ........ :mellow::o

Bob

At least you can take some comfort from the fact that you knew what you were doing and your neighbour clearly did not. I think I would be a bit miffed if someone unpluged my electric supply without asking. Glad you took the moral high ground!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

All it would have took,

Was for them to ask if they could try your socket because they were having problems,

They were very fortunate that you still helped them.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I have tripped out the E supply once by putting the domestic kettle on [We had left the travel kettle at home ] The first thing i did was to inform my neighbour to make sure i had not inconvenieced them . Then i asked the warden to reset the terminal I think you were very reasonable, and the guy should have been greatfull for your help Coljac

I would have been distinctly unimpressed, as by his actions he could have 'knackered' sensitive bits of electrical equipment such as cd players etc.

People have no patience and no manners these days!!!!!

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

(Also a 1990 VW Golf Convertible, which definately does not tow anything!!!)

This post is not meant to intentionally offend anybody

Hi Bob

In my humble opinion I feel you were not being unreasonable or territorial at all.  

It would have been common courtesy to have spoken to you first.

Some people aye?

38917[/snapback]

Ditto to that

Not unreasonable at all.

Besides, he might have "been caravannning 3 years" but in that time how many nights has it been used for? From his lack of knowledge I'd say not many. If anyone pratted around with my electrics like that I'd be unhappy, and I'd tell them so.

Thanks to all who took time out to respond. My sanity has been restored once again. Funnily enough though for some unexplained reason I didn't really flip my lid at this event. I must be going soft in my old age. I am well known for the odd caustic comment though. Maybe I'm mellowing.

Thanks again

Bob

Its very difficult, through gritted teeth and all that, as you have to live next door to that person for the next week, bad feeling, dirty looks etc for the rest of your stay makes for a miserable holiday.

Its very difficult, through gritted teeth and all that, as you have to live next door to that person for the next week, bad feeling, dirty looks etc for the rest of your stay makes for a miserable holiday.

39008[/snapback]

Perhaps there ought to be a 'Keeping Cool Under the Circumstances' Award - Bob could be in contention.

Mike

I can't say that exercising tact and keeping cool are characteristics I have a great deal of but thanks for the comments. My patience levels are not generally the best, as I do speak my mind, to the annoyance of a few. I also don't tolerate fools very well, maybe I should go on a course for that, but I think its too late now at 53. 9yrs. I do find it hard to ignore people who are obviously struggling and think that a lot of caravan folk are like minded especially if the others are having a go at resolving their own problems with little success. We all have made the same or similar mistakes and cock ups thats why we contribute to this site. I have also gained valuable information myself from here and continue to do so, especially from some of the more knowledgeable contributors whose input is invaluable. I won't mention them by name but most will know who I am refering too. Hopefully spreading this gained knowledge and experience round a little helps a few more. I guess with the advent of the new age of caravanning those newer people ( like myself) will learn to be respectful of others and their property. I think I am in cuckoo land by the way as society is in my humble opinion not improving much as far as I can see. They are banning hoodies in some places though, that can't be a bad thing. Maybe we will enter a new age where people respect others etc etc but then I guess I will wake up. Heres hoping.

Rant over. Lets continue to assist if we can without becoming overbearing or interfering.

Bob

Archived