Sign in to follow this  
meatloaf

Zig Unit

My van a compass echo 390

has a zig unit x7 which is charging the battery from the hook up supply

does this zig stop charging when the battery is fully charged. the battery is making noises, but it is not fully charged as yet,which makes me think it is u/s

meatloaf B)

My van a compass echo 390

has a zig unit x7 which is charging the battery from the hook up supply

does this zig stop charging when the battery is fully charged.   the battery is making noises, but it is not fully charged as yet,which makes me think it is u/s

meatloaf B)

38831[/snapback]

I have been unable to find out much about the Zig and their website is not much use. In July I emailed Zig with the question:

"My caravan is fitted with a Zig X7. Does the X7 provide a constant charging voltage to the battery or does it vary the charge according to the state of charge of the battery? Is it ok to leave the X7 switched on and permanently connected to the battery?"

The answer was:

"The output of the X7 does vary according to the state of the battery. It's ok to leave connected to battery, but not ok to be left switched on all the time unless you are using the van."

I take it from this that the Zig does revert to a trickle charge when the battery is fully charged. If your battery cannot be fully charged it may be u/s. You could always try an external charger on it to see if it makes a difference.

Stephen.

You could always try an external charger on it to see if it makes a difference.

Stephen.

38849[/snapback]

Any suggestions from anyone as to a suitable charger for a leisure battery? I understand that the normal charger used for car batteries is not really suitable to re-charge a caravan battery.

I have been unable to find out much about the Zig and their website is not much use. In July I emailed Zig with the question:

"My caravan is fitted with a Zig X7. Does the X7 provide a constant charging voltage to the battery or does it vary the charge according to the state of charge of the battery? Is it ok to leave the X7 switched on and permanently connected to the battery?"

The answer was:

"The output of the X7 does vary according to the state of the battery. It's ok to leave connected to battery, but not ok to be left switched on all the time unless you are using the van."

I take it from this that the Zig does revert to a trickle charge when the battery is fully charged. If your battery cannot be fully charged it may be u/s. You could always try an external charger on it to see if it makes a difference.

Stephen.

38849[/snapback]

thanks for that

Guest Hobbybod
Any suggestions from anyone as to a suitable charger for a leisure battery?  I understand that the normal charger used for car batteries is not really suitable to re-charge a caravan battery.

38853[/snapback]

zbungle et al. ,

decent battery chargers have been mentioned a few times before here. In the photo the charger is on the right against the front wall of the 'van. Sterling isn't the only decent make, but it is widely used, especially in canal boats.

The statement related from Zig that

. . . but not ok to be left switched on all the time unless you are using the van."
leads me to understand that it is not a decent charger; I've left a decent charger connected to the batteries for months on end, when the 'van was stored in front of the house. No problems.

thanks for that

38871[/snapback]

i have now got a new battery and no problems the charger does not operate on a fully charged battery so all is well

thanks all

The X7 and the X8 which is an X7 with a fan!, should give a constant 13. 8 volt output which is OK to leave connected to a battery whether used or not, so don't Zig trust them either??

The X7 and the X8 which is an X7 with a fan!, should give a constant 13. 8 volt output which is OK to leave connected to a battery whether used or not, so don't Zig trust them either??

39528[/snapback]

That's what I though too, Gary. The output is listed at 13. 8v 0-12. 5a, which indicates that the charge rate should drop to almost nothing when the battery is fully charged (or as fully charged as the Zig can manage - 13. 8v will never fully charge a 12v battery).

Anyway, I don't leave mine on all the time. If I'm not using the van for a while I switch the Zig on for a day or so every month.

Stephen.

My Lunar Chateau came with a Zig X90 fitted. I have always had a small digital voltmeter display too. (See:- Lascar voltmeter)

While charging, the voltmeter always showed 13. 7 volts - unless there were a lot of lights and the pump on - in which case the volts dropped.

Thanks to the advice of Hobbybod, I chose a Sterling 3 stage charger to replace the Zig.

Charger chat

Last weekend was my first trip out with the Sterling charger. Sterling Pro Budget 10A

The volts were around 14. 3 when the unit was first connected and charging my battery.

Once charged (a few hours) it settled down to 13. 5v.

As my Sterling is a 3 stage charge, these are the correct voltages and, so the theory says, is much kinder than a single stage battery charger. My battery should last a long time now. I can also report the Sterling charge is much cheaper than a Zig!

Yours

Dave

X90? not one I am familiar with, they did an X70 and I presume an X80 which were slightly different to the X7 and 8.

It has alway amused me that they could relaunch a product by adding 'a' zero or just zero perhaps. .being indentical in every way apart from err. ..zero??? :lol:

X90? not one I am familiar with, they did an X70 and I presume an X80 which were slightly different to the X7 and 8.

It has alway amused me that they could relaunch a product by adding 'a' zero or just zero perhaps. .being indentical in every way apart from err. ..zero??? :lol:

39637[/snapback]

It certainly is an X90 - see my photo:- Zig X90

As it's on a Lunar Chateau that was made in Belgium, I wonder if the X90 is a model for sale overseas?

I must say, I have never found any details about it on the internet.

Anyway, the (broken) Zig unit is on my garage shelf now as the Sterling charger is now in the van and doing a "serling job"!

Yours

Dave

Sign in to follow this