Filling Hose

John Lee

I have just read the on line caravan manual on the Bailey website & it is emphatic that the aquaroll or equivalent should not be filled with a garden hose. Why? I can understand the requirement for on board permanent plumbing to be food grade but wouldn't have thought the garden hose would pose much of a bother.

I have just read the on line caravan manual on the Bailey website & it is emphatic that the aquaroll or equivalent should not be filled with a garden hose. Why? I can understand the requirement for on board permanent plumbing to be food grade but wouldn't have thought the garden hose would pose much of a bother.

38730[/snapback]

Garden hoses can be made of recycled plastics which can contaminate the water - fine for the plants or the car wash but not our delicate stomachs! :blink:

Hi,

I guess is depends on whether you drink or cook with the water from the aquaroll.

We only use the water from the aquaroll for washing or washing up, because the water tastes; we've tried various things through the pipes to clean them, but it makes no difference. We've read many posts on this forum from new van owners who experience the same problem. We always carry a separate container (with a tap) for water that we use for drinking, cooking, tea etc.

If you are drinking or cooking with the water, then I'd agree - use the proper food-grade tube. Otherwise, ordinary hose is OK (IMHO).

Phillip

As Phillip says - we do use the water for cooking and tea/coffee BUT never drink it un-boiled - btw our Aquaroll came with a length of food grade plastic tubing for filling and on sites that are fully serviced we use the Aquaroll hose and stop cock which they say is food grade.

As Phillip says - we do use the water for cooking and tea/coffee BUT never drink it un-boiled - btw our Aquaroll came with a length of food grade plastic tubing for filling and on sites that are fully serviced we use the Aquaroll hose and stop cock which they say is food grade.

38748[/snapback]

this was taken from another forum,from a very informative person whos reply was as follows

The potential problem with a "garden hose" is that you don't know what it is made from. It is quite common to use materials and chemicals in the manufacture of none food grade plastics, that can be harmful.

You will see from time to time postings about "Tainted Water", and these often refer to a TCP taste. This is causes by a plasticiser used to keep the plastic flexible, but it should be chemically fixed, so it does not taint the water. Other problems can result of the plastic being slightly porous, which allows algae and other nasties to lock into the plastic, and can therefore multiply and potential get back into the water supply.

The yellow colourant used in some plastics is derived from cadmium a highly toxic substance.

So you can begin to see that none food grade product can be quite unhealthy.

Hi,

I should have added that we use the food grade tube to refill anyway, even though we don't consume the aquaroll water!

I have two tubes, both tubes also have different "ends" or connectors on them, so that I can use the best fit on the tap (I sometimes find the standard blue funnel end isn't very good). Some of these ends are ordinary garden hose type fittings.

Phillip

Thanks everyone for your comments :) - we use bottled water too & only wash with the "tank water". Must admit we have used the supplied filling hose with the aqua roll too. We carry the garden hose as well & could use it which was why I queried the Bailey instruction. It seemed quite emphatic.

I use a piece of household waste pipe 1 1/4" type. Drill hole in the sharp end, tie some elastic to form a loop push it through the hole, (must be a tight fit) :o

put the bottom in the aquaroll, and the top on the tap.

elastic fits on to the top of the tap, the pipe fits over spout, no wet legs :)

_____________________O

(___________________/

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I dont bother using any form of hose, and tend to lift the aquaroll to just below the tap. I have on too many sites seen others doing unsavoury things to clean water taps.

For example,; kids drinking directly from them by putting their mouths on the taps; one man washing his fishing rods and kit; kids dragging the hose on the ground behind them; people washing their hands and other items (washing up etc); even at one site someone being sick in the drain area underneath. ..

I admit some of these are extremes, but it does make you think what others get up to.

Call me fussy/paranoid, but I dont like it. I try and make as little contact with the taps as possible! Means a bit of discomfort if there is low water pressure.

We dont tend to drink from the aquaroll, unless its been boiled in the kettle and prefer bottled water if we need a drink of cold water.

I dont bother using any form of hose, and tend to lift the aquaroll to just below the tap.   I have on too many sites seen others doing unsavoury things to clean water taps.

38966[/snapback]

Funny you should say that as I think exactly the same. I don't go to the lengths of lifting the aquaroll up cos its a bit heavy :blink: but I often wonder where people have been dangling the hose into. Certainly on some sites the signage is ambiguous and knowing how thick some people are - well need I go on. ......

What is the in-line filter in the water system for ????

39015[/snapback]

TO FILTER THE WATER OF IMPURITIES???????????

What is the in-line filter in the water system for ????

39015[/snapback]

Thats assuming your van has an in-line water filter. Can't find any trace of one in my van, or any reference in the handbook as to whether my van has one or not. .. :angry:

Never thought we lived so dangerously . . lucky to have made it to 7, let alone 70 . .

but will blythely carry on

What are we coming to if we are afraid of drinking water from a hose pipe . This is the same logic that prompts fools to buy bottled water for 50p a time . Go on be daring, live dangerously and risk it by drinking tap water through a 2 ft length of hose pipe which is stored in your own container and is probably filtered through the on board filter god help us Coljac

Aquarolls (never heard of them before coming across this site) seem to be the normal way of supplying water to caravans in the UK. I gather that you roll them over to a tap, fill them up, roll them back to the caravan, stand them up and connect them to the caravan, which has an electric pump to draw the water from the Aquaroll. When it's empty you do it all again.

It might be an obvious question, but why aren't your vans plumbed for mains pressure water so that you can simply connect to a mains tap when you arrive on your pitch and enjoy a continous water supply? No more rolling drums around in all sorts of weather. In Australia all new vans have had mains water plumbing for years. When we are away from mains water we use the onboard tank. I can see a problem with the tap and connecting hose freezing in cold weather but I assume that not much caravanning is done in those conditions anyway.

Stephen.

Aquarolls (never heard of them before coming across this site) seem to be the normal way of supplying water to caravans in the UK. I gather that you roll them over to a tap, fill them up, roll them back to the caravan, stand them up and connect them to the caravan, which has an electric pump to draw the water from the Aquaroll. When it's empty you do it all again.

It might be an obvious question, but why aren't your vans plumbed for mains pressure water so that you can simply connect to a mains tap when you arrive on your pitch and enjoy a continous water supply? No more rolling drums around in all sorts of weather. In Australia all new vans have had mains water plumbing for years. When we are away from mains water we use the onboard tank. I can see a problem with the tap and connecting hose freezing in cold weather but I assume that not much caravanning is done in those conditions anyway.

Stephen.

39122[/snapback]

Hi

We have mains connection, in fact I think now all new caravans have a mains connection facility. It can only be used if you have a mains supply near enough to the caravan. We also have an onboard tank, but again it has to filled. If on a full-service pitch i. e. mains and waste water facilities we used an aquaroll with a ball cock device which when connected to the mains the aquaroll is kept half full at all time and the external pump is used to fill the onboard tank. This method gives us a higher pressure than the mains connected directly into the caravan. We always carry the fresh and waste water containers just in case when we do arrive at the caravan site and a full pitch is not available we still have an 'old fashion' way of getting water. !!!

Hi

We have mains connection, in fact I think now all new caravans have a mains connection facility. It can only be used if you have a mains supply near enough to the caravan. We also have an onboard tank, but again it has to filled. If on a full-service pitch i. e. mains and waste water facilities we used an aquaroll with a ball cock device which when connected to the mains the aquaroll is kept half full at all time and the external pump is used to fill the onboard tank. This method gives us a higher pressure than the mains connected directly into the caravan. We always carry the fresh and waste water containers just in case when we do arrive at the caravan site and a full pitch is not available we still have an 'old fashion' way of getting water. !!!

39127[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply. I assume then that not all pitches there have a mains tap to connect to? In Aus the pitches ("sites" to us) are either powered (240v hookup) or non-powered. Virtually all powered sites have a mains tap and waste water drain so we simply connect all three services when we arrive and relax. I've always found the mains pressure to be more than adequate (but then I've never used an electric pump).

Stephen.

Thanks for the reply. I assume then that not all pitches there have a mains tap to connect to? In Aus the pitches ("sites" to us) are either powered (240v hookup) or non-powered. Virtually all powered sites have a mains tap and waste water drain so we simply connect all three services when we arrive and relax. I've always found the mains pressure to be more than adequate (but then I've never used an electric pump).

Stephen.

39129[/snapback]

When using a mains connection there is a pressure reducer in the equipment so as not to overstress the system, I think the amount of reduction is perhaps a bit over cautious!!!!!

What are we coming to if we are afraid of drinking water from a hose pipe . This is the same logic that prompts fools to buy bottled water for 50p a time . Go on be daring, live dangerously and risk it by drinking tap water through a 2 ft length of hose pipe which is stored in your own container and is probably filtered through the on board filter  god help us    Coljac

39113[/snapback]

2 points :-

1. You connect your 'clean' 2ft of pipe to a potentially dirty tap, thus transferring whatever the previous user(s) have left on it to your 'clean' pipe.

2. Not all vans have an on-board filter. Would love to find if there is one on my van, cos I can't find it!

Just my opinion - thats all! <_<

2 points :-

1.   You connect your 'clean' 2ft of pipe to a potentially dirty tap, thus transferring whatever the previous user(s) have left on it to your 'clean' pipe.

2.   Not all vans have an on-board filter.   Would love to find if there is one on my van, cos I can't find it!

Just my opinion - thats all!  <_<

39209[/snapback]

I am fairly sure that all late model Swift vans have water filters built in to the taps. My Sterling Searcher manual tells me so, although I have not actually checked it

Ifor

The Ozzie has a point. I've often thought we should have all the services at every pitch. Iknow, I know, costs involved, site fees etc. But you'd think with the sophistication of our vans we'd be able to go caravanning without "slopping out" all the time. Bear in mind that prisoners - yes PRISONERS, are to be compensated for this awful, degrading, Victorian, procedure they have to endure. I wonder how Margaret Beckett MP feels about that? Answers on a postcard please. ....

I suppose alternate engineering would say,

If it bothered you that much, clean the tap first with a disinfectant wipe :mellow:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Stephen.

39129[/snapback]

Hi Stephen,

Not many powered sites in NZ have a dedicated water supply & drain. They are usually shared by upwards of 10 or more sites (pitches) at some places. I note though that campervan (concrete) pads are available at some places & these do have the dedicated facilities. So the aquaroll is the best thing since sliced bread!

JL

Christchurch

Archived