Weight Increase Of Extras

DMC12

Hi,

I've just put down a deposit on an Avondale Godiva 556. Its based on the Dart 556 (MRO 1070Kg, MTPLM 1300Kg) but has the following upgrades. ..

I was wondering if anyone knows what affect these items are likely to have on the weight of the van.

Radio/Cassette with 12 disk changer

Alko 3004 Stabiliser

Alko 3004 Hitchlock

Alloy Wheels

External Mains Point

External Gas BBQ Point

Omnivent Cooler / Extractor

Tyron Bands

We've also got a starter pack containing the following. ..

110A Battery

Gas Bottle

Wheel Clamp

Mains Cable

Aqua Roll

Waste Container

My towcar has a kerbweight of 1370Kg so I am very conscious of any extra weight going into the van.

Many thanks.

Steve.

Hi,

Try this, http://www. whattowcar. com/ or spend a few pounds on a http://www. towsafe. co. uk/ check, just to be sure.

Better safe than sorry.

Regards,

Al  ;)

39242[/snapback]

Hi, I am afraid we all know what it is going to tell you. Going on the 85% recommendation this is a no go. Even without your accessories. It should have been calculated on the maximum gross weight of the caravan not on its miro.

Unless you are an extremely experienced caravanner and you keep your weight down to the basic minimum this would be classed as close to a miss match as you can get.

Pete

Volvo

Hi,

I've just put down a deposit on an Avondale Godiva 556. Its based on the Dart 556 (MRO 1070Kg, MTPLM 1300Kg) but has the following upgrades. ..

I was wondering if anyone knows what affect these items are likely to have on the weight of the van.

Radio/Cassette with 12 disk changer - no effect

Alko 3004 Stabiliser - fitted on most

Alko 3004 Hitchlock - keep in towing vehicle

Alloy Wheels - should be lighter

External Mains Point - no effect

External Gas BBQ Point - no effect

Omnivent Cooler / Extractor - not enough to worry about

Tyron Bands - not enough to worry about

We've also got a starter pack containing the following. ..

110A Battery - necessary

Gas Bottle - necessary

Wheel Clamp - keep in towing vehicle

Mains Cable - keep in towing vehicle

Aqua Roll - keep in towing vehicle

Waste Container - keep in towing vehicle

My towcar has a kerbweight of 1370Kg so I am very conscious of any extra weight going into the van.

Many thanks.

Steve.

38697[/snapback]

Hi,

Don't panic…………

I tow with the quoted weights at 100%. The caravan is a 4 birth but there is only two of us. My towing vehicle is a 4x4 with plenty of 'grunt'. I load the towing vehicle rather than the caravan.

Look at the max towing capabilities of your vehicle and max train weight.

With some thought you should be able to get under the 100% rule, it's then up to you whether you are confident to tow under these conditions.

Thanks everyone.

The thing is I'm planning on changing the car next year and didn't want to compromise on my choice of caravan now and only have to change it again when I've got the new one. www. whattowcar. com says I'll be fine.

I took my car to a weighbridge recently and it's empty weight mesured at 1500kg. I was just interested to see how much the listed items weigh so I can estimate whet the actual weight of the van will be. (I'll take it to the weighbridge when I collect it to be sure)

My awning will be in the car, as will a suitcase of clothes/towels etc (we'll be collecting the van from storage and setting straight off so most things will be in the car). There will also be two bikes on the roof. (the car will take nearly 600Kg of extra payload)

I am certain that my actual loaded outfit will be well within the 85% guideline.

Many thanks.

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

Just incase anyone is interested, I took a trip to the weighbridge this morning. The caravan came to 1150kg. This includes a 110A battery, a full gas cylinder, Reich mover, bedding, water containers, and kitchen equipment.

The car (including awning (26kg), wheel clamps & hitchlocks, half tank of fuel, and the driver) came to 1630kg. There was still plenty of room in the car for clothes / food etc and were still nowhere near the 630kg payload allowance for the car.

The empty weight of the car (except fuel and other fluids) was 1500kg (kerbweight supposedly 1370kg)

I've towed about 200 miles now and the outfit has been very stable so far. (70kg nose weight and an Alko3004). It'll be a very long time until I consider myself 'experienced', but I am happy with the outfit and will always try to take it easy.

I'd recommend to anyone to get their outfit weighed just to see how the actual weights compare to the plates.

Many thanks.

Steve.

• 5 months later...

Be very careful when using so called 'proffesional' matching sites. I had wrong max towing weight quoted by one company, used by many dealers.

I was quoted max towing weight of 1400kg for my Peugeot which was wrong, it is 1500kg. I did contact the company who told me that their figures were correct and that Peugeot's were wrong! I eventually emailed a letter from Peugeot stating the correct figure though I don't know wether they changed their information,

Ian.

Be very careful when using so called 'proffesional' matching sites. I had wrong max towing weight quoted by one company, used by many dealers.

I was quoted max towing weight of 1400kg for my Peugeot which was wrong, it is 1500kg. I did contact the company who told me that their figures were correct and that Peugeot's were wrong! I eventually emailed a letter from Peugeot stating the correct figure though I don't know wether they changed their information,

Ian.

Ian,

If you are talking about Towsafe which is generally considered as the industry

standard for outfit data,they are often incorrect because they are reliant on the manufacturers providing them with up to date information for their database.

Even if you contact them about discrepancies in their database and they check with a particular manufacturer and agree with you,they still don't update their database until they have received official confirmation.

It has been partly due to some continental manufacturers quoting 'dry' kerbweights to reduce local taxes.

There is only one certain way to confirm kerbweight and that is a weighbridge. Many people have found this to be a positive experience in terms of kerbweights being higher than any quoted by other 'official' sources.

Frank

Archived