Gutted

dazkim

:( GUTTED :o

Hi all

Just one word GUTTED got our new van last weekend booked our first weekend away this weekend. I went to get van from storage tonight the rain was falling in barrels i was rushing around trying to get the van hitched up as quick as possible and forgot to remove the wheelclamp. As you can imagine damaged the wheelarch to the van so we cant go away . I still cant believe ive been so stupid to forget a wheelclamp we have been vanning for 9 years without a misshap and now this how can someone be so stupid.

Hope everyone who is away this weekend has a good one and spare a thought for us.

cheers a very sad dazkim :(:(:o

Hi Guys

Sorry to hear about your mishap of course you are gutted but there will be other weekends (in the sunshine) :) that you will enjoy keep smiling caravanners are always happy smiley people you will sort it i'm sure

Sue ;)

:( GUTTED :o

Hi all

Just one word GUTTED got our new van last weekend booked our first weekend away this weekend. I went to get van from storage tonight the rain was falling in barrels i was rushing around trying to get the van hitched up as quick as possible and forgot to remove the wheelclamp. As you can imagine damaged the wheelarch to the van so we cant go away . I still cant believe ive been so stupid to forget a wheelclamp we have been vanning for 9 years without a misshap and now this how can someone be so stupid.

Hope everyone who is away this weekend has a good one and spare a thought for us.

cheers a very sad dazkim

38620[/snapback]

I know the feeling - manoeuvring in an aire on the French Autoroutes I did not allow enough space for the overhang to turn and ended up ripping off the waterfill door for the loo, one high level side light and damaging a section of awning rail - gutted.

Now a few weeks later and a new door at £25. 00 a repaired light and the awning rail repaired I am ready for the next encounter :lol:

Dazkim

Sorry to hear about this. I guess there are many of us who are guilty of being far too keen to get hitched up and off as quickly as possible. I've even been known to go up the road (only a few hundred yards) before stopping at the local shop for a newspaper only to find the caravan door wide open!!! It pays to spend a couple of minutes doing a last minute check, including brake / indicator check, before pulling away.

Regards

NRF

Hi all

Thanks for all your replys still cant believe how stupid i have been but i will get by . cheers dazkim

dazkim,

hope you get things fixed soon, but don't beat yourself up too much. So you're human and you made a mistake. ...it happens. ...no one got hurt (although your pride is dented). My claim to fame is damaging a window on our van when it was 4 weeks old. It happens. ...but you wont make the same mistake again!!!

Bad luck, I think you are brave to admit it, but thanks, it's a reminder to us all to take time when hitching up and do the final check. I'm still in my first year and still making mistakes, a concern I have is why, after hitching up I can travel a couple of hundred metres before the tilt alarm goes off when I have forgotten to de-activate it. There is a bus lay-by a mile down the road from our storage site and you will always find us in it after picking up the van while Mrs Wildkat shuts and secures the fridge door.

Wildkat

Worst thing I once forgot to do was forget to raise the jockey wheel. Drove three miles before realising and pulled into a layby to see that the nylon bearing had disintegrated :o . OK it only cost £9 for a replacement wheel, but I won't make that mistake again! In fact I now have a routined order of hitch-up items.

Not many of us are perfect and we all make mistakes (and hopefully learn from them).

Regards,

;)

Unlucky dazkim, I had to stop on the hard shoulder of the M4 when I realised that I had left the jockey wheel down, (first van and first time towing). That was in 1992. 4 weeks ago, I was just about to pull off with our new, (to us), van when my 78 year old mother asked, " what's that yellow thing on your wheel for?". Yes, I almost did the same as you. I was lucky, hope you get repaired soon.

Mikey :blink:

Know how you feel, we were off to France for a month it was pouring with rain while we were hitching up,driving on the M 25 a car flashes us puts on his hazed lights stopped on the hard shoulder to tell us we have sparks from the caravan, in the hurry and rain to get away Tony for got to clip the break cable to the car, we live in Clacton so was no good to man or beast, had to buy a new cable in France.

Hairdresser. :unsure:

Archived