Part X Or Keep Going

Gatwickba

I am currently on my first van, a 2004 model which is great. Now the new models for 2006 are trickling onto the websites, and with resale value in mind, is it a good idea to trade in after 2 years, or maybe keep the 2004 model until its had its day and then trade in.

I use my van all year round, so is showing wear and tear on carpets and cushions etc. ....so any advise greatly appreciated.

I am currently on my first van, a 2004 model which is great. Now the new models for 2006 are trickling onto the websites, and with resale value in mind, is it a good idea to trade in after 2 years, or maybe keep the 2004 model until its had its day and then trade in.

I use my van all year round, so is showing wear and tear on carpets and cushions etc. ....so any advise greatly appreciated.

38606[/snapback]

Hi egkk. ..lol

Normally it would be advisable to keep the van for atleast 3years and then sell it privately then haggle a good discount on new, but as you rely on and use yours for more than just caravanning it's harder to advise IMO. :(

How did your first sevice go and how has the van faired being used on a daily basis for the first year?

Good to hear from you again.

Egcc Dave. ;)

Hi Dave.

The van's first service was OK, but had a problem with the fridge on gas, after using winter vent covers (to manufacturers instructions) the burner corroded and nearly poisoned me with co2. They came and fixed it on site but the engineer said not to use the covers when the fridge is in use, not what the instructions said but hey ho!

Apart from that, no dramas. The van is standing up to weekly use very well, have become very attached to it now, but just worried it might lose a lot of value the more worn it gets. Not that it is in a bad state, but you know how the carpet wears out and the mattress gets the imprint of ones backside in it!!!

Take it easy.

Hi Gatwick,

Give the van a good clean, Fluff up the carpet, add a plant or two. ..lol, Its still only 12 month old there's always somebody out there waiting for a £££saving£££.

If/when you sell the van let us know what you buy.

Cheers

Dave ;)

Winter covers :( . ..................... I don't think I'll bother.

38606[/snapback]

Why not get a dealer (or two) to give you a quote against a new van, we are new to 'vanning so this is our first year and first van BUT my sister and brother-in-law change every couple of years and they seem to get a very good deal each time. ;)

We bought a dealer special Abbey Aventura in March 2005 for £13000 plus on road charges of nearly £500. We then saw another van which would be more suitable only 3 months later and one weeks holiday and asked for a trade in figure. They said they would only give us £10200 for it. Seems like a bit hit to me. :angry:

We were in the same boat as now favouring a twin dinette set up against the fixed bunks.

Told to take a £3k hit against new.

Most of the hit is the VAT on the price of the van from new. then generally after that vans seem to depreciate about £6-800 per year after that, if you can afford to buy a new van then great but if you like an 06 van it might be an idea to wait til around Aug 06 before buying as the stock is there (if lucky) and they'll be keen to get rid before the new models show in Sept.

Also a caravan Glass guide comes out in OCT so getting a px price prior to Oct is always a good idea as when its Oct its a year older in there eyes!

We're hanging on for the time being.

Assets depreciate . ..

Some dealers never see that though!

This is only what I've learned - I'm sure someone else will have their own opinions.

Pre-emptive strike!

Happy Hunting!

Scotsman ;)

at the moment trade in value is rubbish,dealers want a tidy profit at your expense. different manufacturers give dealers a different % of mark up price,so you will almost certainlt get a better deal with some makes than you do with others. best to sell private at this moment in time.

We sold our 2003 van last year did not like the fixed bed, would have lost £3000 on PX but did well and sold privately and bought one the same year 2003 different lay out, so did not lose out,we sold a 1993 Bailey witch we bought in 1998 for £6200 PX in 2003 for our new van for £4500, so I think if you don't want to lose lode's of money give it about3- 4 years or so.

Carol.

Archived