Cards Abroad

I think I may apply for a Halifax Clarity credit card. Even though interest is charged for cash withdrawals the monthly rate is between 1. 017% and 1. 667% (depending on your credit status) which even the worst case works out cheaper over one month than my Nationwide debit card that now charges 2%+£1. Less if you pay it off quickly or deposit cash in advance.

Brian

I think we should start a petition up with Nationwide to reinstate the free debit card use abroad for customers who have their main account with them . :rolleyes:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found in Spain, this year as in previous years, many places ask for ID as well as the card. A driving licence is sufficient, but be prepared.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

I have found in Spain, this year as in previous years, many places ask for ID as well as the card. A driving licence is sufficient, but be prepared.

John

That has often been the case in the big supermarkets in Calais in the past but not so much recently.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Niro HEV  for home.

Caravan Travels

As you know, I recently opened the N&P current account with fee free debit card for overseas use.

All went well, no problems

Not been overseas with the card yet though

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

• 1 month later...

Just noticed that Metro Bank do a fee free debit card for overseas use. So, at present, this one and the Norwich and Peterborough Building Society. The Cumberland B S is starting to charge 2. 75% from July.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Hmm. I got offered a Euro account by my bank ( I do some business in Ireland) which may be useful.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Hmm. I got offered a Euro account by my bank ( I do some business in Ireland) which may be useful.

But what are the charges involved? You may get the interbank rate of exchange but the cost of operating the account may add up to more than using a fee free card.

Anyone wanting to check the rate used by the two main clearing services can check here

https://www. masterca. ..sion/index. html

and here http://www. visaeurop. ..ange_rates. aspx

this link http://www. oanda. com. ..ency/converter/ allows checks on rates back to 1990.

Those who think their card provides fee free rates may want to check what that rate actually is as virtually all card providers use either the Visa or Mastercard system

Edited by beejay

• 5 months later...

Hi

Ages ago I mentioned the Norwich and Peterborough debit card - fee free for cash withdrawals and also point of sale purchases. The rates are pretty much what is quoted on the BBC business pages - we are averaging 1. 25 and slightly above. The same rates are coming from the Halifax Clarity credit card for purchases. We are not using the Clarity credit card for cash as interest is payable on those transactions.

We have used the Caxton card as we had some euro on it to get rid of.

The Caxton rate seems to be 2 - 3 cents behind the N&P and Halifax.

N&P is, from my last three weeks worth of use, the way forward for ATM's, with Clarity for spending, benefiting from the interest free period.

The N&P has worked everywhere, not declined etc.

In the past, we have had Caxton refused at an automated toll.

Cheers

Rusty

I have a Santander Zero card as mentioned previously. I did consider a Clarity card as I have been having a small dispute with Santander over the way they take interim payments (if I use the card at an ATM, I pay (at least) an equivalent amount direct to the card as soon as possible to minimise interest payments - they seem not to be doing this correctly).*

The Clarity card does not allow this - interim payments will not be accepted. I checked with a local branch who confirmed it with their head office.

It does sound as though the N&P card is a good one although of course you need a N&P account and need a minimum cash flow otherwise a charge is made.

*Although a recent 3 week trip to Greece and Italy (without the van) and withdrawing around £1,000 has cost me the princely sum of £0. 06 in interest which I can hardly complain about. .....

Edited by iansoady

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1986 Honda XBR500

We have used the Caxton card as we had some euro on it to get rid of.

The Caxton rate seems to be 2 - 3 cents behind the N&P and Halifax.

If the Caxton card already had euros loaded it would have been at the rate when bought so cannot be compared with current rates.

In the past, we have had Caxton refused at an automated toll.

Prepaid cards will not work in any place that requires pre-authorisation. Hotels, car hire and fuel pumps are just some.

Explanation here http://en. wikipedia. ...horization_hold

Edited by beejay

I make interim payments to my Clarity card - I just do it when I want with online banking. Also, if you go into a Halifax branch and pass them your credit card, you can pay any amount you choose. (Appreciate you can't do this when overseas)

Take a look at Caxton rates today and also the Visa/Mastercard commercial rates, as per Clarity and the N&P - there is a 2 - 3 cent differential.

Russell

Take a look at Caxton rates today and also the Visa/Mastercard commercial rates, as per Clarity and the N&P - there is a 2 - 3 cent differential.

Russell

That's their profit margin! All prepaid cards will have a difference of at least that amount.

I see now you were making two comments that were not linked as I thought. :blush: