Fuel Panic

zbungle

I need to fill the car in order to go away for the weekend in the caravan. I can afford it and there isn't a fuel shortage (or so we are told). My dilema is that the local garage has set a £15 maximum. What madness! Surely it should be a £15 minimum?

The £15 max allows the idiots who are going around putting in 50p's worth to carry on messing it up for the rest of us. If there were a minimum of £15 (or even higher- £35?) only those with a nearly empty tank would be visiting the forecourts.

Remember, nobody ever lost money by underestimating the stupidity of the general public, especially when it comes to panic buying.

I need to fill the car in order to go away for the weekend in the caravan.   I can afford it and there isn't a fuel shortage (or so we are told).  My dilema is that the local garage has set a £15 maximum.   What madness!  Surely it should be a £15 minimum?

The £15 max allows the idiots who are going around putting in 50p's worth to carry on messing it up for the rest of us.   If there were a minimum of £15 (or even higher- £35?) only those with a nearly empty tank would be visiting the forecourts.

Remember, nobody ever lost money by underestimating the stupidity of the general public, especially when it comes to panic buying.

38480[/snapback]

Minimum or maximim they'd never please everybody. For example, I'm genuinely due to put petrol in my car but, if I'm at home and not going away, £6 would easily do me a couple of weeks or more so, a £15 minimum would mean me having to buy far more than I really need.

Yes I am afraid it is us caravanners that will suffer if it becomes rationed. I do not think it would make any difference if it was a minimum payment or maximum payment, someone would lose out. Like myself, wife works at a hospital. No public transport at her times. Towcar has to do the job. I have got a van for my business which has not been used for the last 12 months due to illness so that is out of the equation. I do also own a large motorbike which I would hate to think I couldn't get fuel for. It is my relief valve.

Pete

Volvo

:D i bet if someone started the rumour that there was going to be a job shortage

the dole ques would not get any shorter :D

but if some said there was a going to be a sugar / bread or any food product or even a beer shortage the shelves would be empty by teatime

i think it just down to human nature to do it

should that be ''fool panic''

weve all been made fools of by present and past governments as well as the oil industry,i think its about time we all made fools of them

This craziness has made me more aware of how few petrol stations there are left. I have been looking for one without a queue for a couple of days and they all seem to be closed down. The ones that are left will be free to charge what they like. :angry:

This craziness has made me more aware of how few petrol stations there are left.   I have been looking for one without a queue for a couple of days and they all seem to be closed down.   The ones that are left will be free to charge what they like. :angry:

38497[/snapback]

On the radio this morning the reporter said that there are 25% less stations than there was in 2000 - a quarter gone in 5 years!

if that carries on there will be one left in 50 years time - which would make sense as there will be b***** all oil to supply it.

This is a strange one. ... we don't want to pay more for our fuel, so when a fuel strike is mentioned and stations increase the price of fuel, why is it more fuel than normal is sold ? There's only one winner and it aint us.

The government have us over a barrel. .. pardon the punt.

Off the subject but it Seems like everyones is targeted by our political rep Gordon. B these days even people with disabilities, are they really too blame for high unemployment in this country?

We who mean nothing are just Political Footballs.

Can't think of one reason to ration fuel for this specific event. The tankers are getting in and out with no problems, I can see them. The only issue this time was the panic buying which meant that instead of refueling once a week people did it early and the fuel is now being carried around in the vehicles instead of in the tanks at the refineries or at the garages. Seems funny that all the garages in my area had signs up last night saying no fuel. I would have thought that extra deliveries would be the order of then day maybe it wasn't deemed necessary. A temporary supply issue only. My opinions of the Oil Cartels price fixing is unprintable and coupled with the governments attitude and lack lustre response means that they all get the revenue and we the motorist pays, yet again. It would be a good idea and a gesture of extreme goodwill for the Oil Companies and the Government to refund the extra revenue as a windfall extra payment to the Pensioners or to build another hospital or two, or even sponsor a few NHS dentists. Then maybe they would have some sympathy but that will never happen and cynically the coffers get fuller and fuller. Heads they win tails they win.

Maybe we should all be encouraged to limit our energy wastage, but when you consider the good old USA and the way they blow it away it seems pointless doesn't it. Kyoto no way.

Unimpressed.

Bob

Just on a curiosity note, but what definition is 'panic buying'. My thoughts are that it is the muppets who thinks that £3 of petrol is going to make some kind of difference to their life in the event of a shortage.

I had two problems over this term, as both myself and my wife appear to be guilty as charged!!! :angry:

1>> I drive for a living, covering about 1200miles this week alone. Because everyone is draining the petrol stations I have had to join in, otherwise I cannot go to the sites I go to. Meaning my company has to cancel jobs, which then has a knock on effect to other departments and lost revenue.

I felt a bit of a prat having to put 1/3 of a tank of diesel in the other day, just as the signs were going up on the forecourt as they had just run out of unleaded. This way, I have enough to last for at least the 2 following days. <<

2>> We live in the country, about 6miles from the nearest supermarket. My wifes uses her car for work 3 times a week, covering no more than 50-60 miles + maybe an extra 50miles on various shopping trips to supermarkets, etc. She only puts about £10 in her car every 5 days or so. Again, because of others 'panic' she had little choice but to change her buying habits for this week. If the local stations run out, then my wife would lose about £70 of business per week(which we cant afford), and the cupboards empty (assuming we dont start stockpiling food, and empty the shelves in the supermarkets. ..) <<

What is the country coming to? I'm getting a bit fed up with it to tell the truth. RANT OVER!

The country is full of PLONKERS.

What good is it complaining about the amount of fuel duty we pay. I cannot see the sense in picketing the refineries or whatever else they try to do. In order to get the government to decrease fuel tax.

If we pay less in fuel tax we will have to pay somewhere else such as an increase in Income Tax.

No matter what, in the end we PAY.

Pete

I don't see what the fuss is about.

After the last fuel crisis 5 years ago, the Govt. set up procedures for use in the event of the same thing happening. It would never get as bad as last time - I hope!!!

I blame the media for hyping the comments of a few perhaps misguided people.

Although that said, some people are really stupid :( . I work for the fire service and we obviously have priority for fuel. A fire engine went for fuel at a filling station which had stopped selling to the public (but kept reserves for the emergency services) and there was nearly a riot because he was getting diesel!!

Wonder what would happen if the fire engine broke down enroute to a house fire due to lack of fuel???

I got diesel yesterday because I NEEDED IT, not because of some stupid media, tv and radio hype making me panic buy!!!

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

(Also a 1990 VW Golf Convertible, which definately does not tow anything!!!)

This post is not meant to intentionally offend anybody

Human nature is totally predictable and on that basis, why didn't everyone fill up last weekend or before when it could be envisged that people would panic buy at the start of this week - its no use moaning, you can't buck human nature :rolleyes:

And after all this the price is now coming down. Two supermarkets (Asda & Tesco ???) have just announced a price reduction of 4 ppl. to reflect the decrease in wholesale pricing. Supply must be picking up again in the USA.

The protests, this time around, were only ever 'billed' as protests and no one ever said there would be blockades. Also no one ever said there was a shortage of fuel. So having gone mad for the last few days the petrol pumps will probalby be deserted for the next few days.

So having gone mad for the last few days the petrol pumps will probalby be deserted for the next few days.

38650[/snapback]

They are!

We're going away with the 'van this weekend so I've just filled up both tanks on the car (petrol + LPG), and a "spare" gallon for the genny. Mine was the only vehicle on the forecourt, but a couple of days ago the queue stretched back onto the road, and caused grid-lock in the town centre!

"It's a brave new world" - NOT!

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Archived