Mondeo Tdci

sorted

hi every 1 . i need help ! ! got 2 get shot of shogun to thirsty was thinking of getting a ford galaxy until i read the forums. the mondeo tdci sounds a good tow car, i've read that many facts+figures head has gone ! i've got a elddis odyssey 505 with a mtplm of 1500 kg, ithink the mondeo's kerb weight is around 1575kg bit worried about tow ball

any help would be appreciated cheers

sorted !

I tow an Ace with an MTPLM of 1462kg against a kerbweight of about 1575kg and it works out at about a 92% match. To be honest, I dont think I get too near the maximum load in the van.

I have an estate which has the self levelling suspension and it tows quite nicely now I have sorted out the noseweight (which incidentally is 75KG).

Not really very sure if I would tow a much heavier van with mine though. ..

On the whole it is a fantastic towcar, and very good price secondhand.

HTH - Gaz

I think 1575KG is for the estate.

My TDCi130 Ghia X Hatch has a listed kerbweight of 1531KG

Great towcar though!

Many family cars have a towball limit of 75KG - it's not that difficult to achieve - I manage it with 2x6KG Propane bottles and some careful packing.

cheers Gazhyde do you have to empty front locker to get nose wait to 75 kgs, does it make much difference to the tow ball weight if you fill the boot instead of the van i've seen some cars with the front end  well raised

cheers

sorted !

38351[/snapback]

I only keep 1 small gas bottle in the front locker + a few smaller items, and most of the other 'stuff' goes in the boot of the car - which the self levelling suspension keeps in check! I also use a roof box for light extras, like clothes, pillows etc. .

The awning now travels over the axle in the van, and I try not to put too much heavy stuff in the front lockers in the van.

Seems much more stable now. ..

Cheers, Gaz

I only keep 1 small gas bottle in the front locker + a few smaller items, and most of the other 'stuff' goes in the boot of the car - which the self levelling suspension keeps in check!  I also use a roof box for light extras, like clothes, pillows etc. .

The awning now travels over the axle in the van, and I try not to put too much heavy stuff in the front lockers in the van.

Seems much more stable now. ..

Cheers, Gaz

38412[/snapback]

I whole heartedly agree with Gazhyde. The Mondy with the self levelling rear is magic. My outfit rides level with a van noseweight of 75Kg and whatever I put in the car. When I first couple up, the van might be nose down but within a few hundred yards it's levelled out. There are only 2 of us so the awning goes on the back seat of the car.

Like Gazhyde I only have one 6Kg gas bottle in the front of the van plus other light bits an pieces. A bit difficult to get the noseweight down to 75Kg on the Arizona!!

Cheers

Bob R

I fancied the Mondeo tdci 130 a few months ago and went for a test drive. I kiked it but thought it was a bit noisey, then a mate suggested a BMW 320d so i tried one of them and i must say what a fantstic car it is. The Mondeo has similar power but that IMHO is where the comparison ends, as they say, try before you buy.

I fancied the Mondeo tdci 130 a few months ago and went for a test drive. I kiked it but thought it was a bit noisey, then a mate suggested a BMW 320d so i tried one of them and i must say what a fantstic car it is. The Mondeo has similar power but that IMHO is where the comparison ends, as they say, try before you buy.

38580[/snapback]

Just out of interest, what is the kerbweight of your 320d?

TIA - Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree the BMW is a 'premium' brand and a better 'quality' and quieter car, but its smaller, lighter and a lot more expensive. Taking these things into account, for the money I don't think you can beat the Mondeo.

Lloyd

Our 5 door hatch Mondeo has a kerb weight of 1556Kg. Before we bought it we were interested in a diesel MB but it didn't drive as nicely as the Mondeo and the servicing cost were much higher.

Taken into account the second hand values of the Mondeo (you'd be made to buy one new) and the low servicing costs, I believe the Mondeo offers great value.

Yossa

If I may refer to Sorted's original post, the Galaxy is a great towcar mainly for its space and practicality. But if fuel consumption is your main issue, only consider a diesel model, which does roughly twice the mileage per gallon (30-35) to the petrols. I have a 2. 3 petrol and can safely say that it's figures are frightening!

Like Sorted, I'm seriously considering a Mondy TDCI - what's the average cost of say, a 3 - 4 yo TDCI 130 Ghia? Only if the price was right I'd go for another Galaxy (diesel).

1490kg  :)

38960[/snapback]

Bit short of weight for me, I'm already at 92% so would need a 5series or nowt! Having previously driven 3 series, I didnt find them at all roomy. Bet I couldnt get as much in the touring version as I could in my estate by a long mile ;)

HI ALL

We tow with out zetec s tdci and is the best towcar we have had by far . We got rid of the td4 freelander for the mondeo. If you are thinking of the mondeo go for the 130 tdci 6 speed they are great.

cheers dazkim :D:D

How much did yours cost? What can I expect to get for 5 grand (possibly stretch to 6 for the right car)?

HI

I go to car auctions on a regular basis and you can at auction get a 51 or a 02 plate tdci for aroud £5000 with average milage. There is a lot around at auctions now some better looked after than others ie ex reps cars dont worry to much about the milage as the engine is good for 250. 000 miles.

cheers dazkim

Hi all,

Thought you might be interested in a minor problem I had with my Mondy which has been sorted today during a service.

There was a very noticeable low frequency vibration at 1500 -1800rpm coming from the engine when the engine was slightly loaded.

The car is 18months old and done 20K miles. I was told by one garage that it may be the auxillary belt tensioner, but they didn't have time to look at it.

Anyway I told the garage who serviced it today and the have "Reset one of the turbo boost pipes". Hey presto!! the noise has gone. Now a much quieter car :)

The garage said they have had a "technical bulletin" about the problem.

The fix was done FOC under the Ford Direct warranty.

So I retract a statement that I am always making that "All garages are rubbish".

Mind you I haven't checked yet whether they have done all they say and they must have used the best engine oil in the world at £35. 76 + VAT for 6ltrs. :(

Bob R

Mind you I haven't checked yet whether they have done all they say and they must have used the best engine oil in the world at £35. 76 + VAT for 6ltrs. :(

Bob R

40093[/snapback]

If you think that's bad don't ever buy the gold plated stuff they use at my dealer. ......

How much did yours cost? What can I expect to get for 5 grand (possibly stretch to 6 for the right car)?

40020[/snapback]

Hi i purchased a Mondeo tddi in january this year 2001 model for 5500 and it seems great, ok i know its not a tdci but its return on fuel is exceptional it seems to tow brilliantly and its a 115bhp model, ford really came out with a winner when they brought out the mk 3 mondeo stylish and affordable :)