Give Europe A Miss Next Year?

We will go to Italy come hell or high water!

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou all for your thoughts on this one.

Think we'll stick with the 6 week trip to Luxembourg, Germany, Austria and Hungary in June/July.

Slight change of subject Piesporter, we have 60163 in Kent this weekend

Now living in Haute Vienne France

We will go as usual and do not expect any come back. We go to Holland tomorrow morning for 5 days will tell you next week how we were treated there. Don't expect anything different from the Dutch as they love the Brits.

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

We were in the south of France in 1982 and 1983 when there were many posters in windows or on telegraph poles showing France's support for Argentina over the Malvinas.

Didn't stop us having a great holiday!

G.

At least we were at war when we sank the belgrano the French sank the greenpeace ship rainbow warrior in Auckland harbour a friendly nation, this was because of french nuclear tests on moruroa atoll which was one of their possesions much like the falklands except the islanders voted to remain British whereas the polynesians certainly weren't happy about nuclear tests.

Oh I forgot the french sank a good few RN ships by proxy with exocets sold to Argentina.

In a recent survey it was found that 1 in 3 politicians are as bent as the other two. One Of Cols CT NinjasNinja.gif

Hi Baz,

You're getting political !!! Put that branch down and get back to the corner. Lol. Catch ya later,indoors.

" Roughing it, Smoothly " Toyota 3-0 D4D Twincab towing a Hymer Eriba Nova 545 SL

British sterling we probably be more welcome over there than the euro. If we were to go overseas I would not buy Euros as the currency could collapse at any time. Rather change on a daily basis.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

If you look at the Sterling against the US Doller, Canadian Doller and Japanese Yen. ... it is fairly stable and has been for 12 days.

Now look at the Euro against these currencies, the exchange rate is falling. .... the Euro has passed $1. 30 US. ... the first time in nearly 12 months.

I think the Euro is teetering on the edge of free fall.

A fellow Tog was doing a job at a certain well known printing company. Allegedly, there were a number of pallets spotted containing 500 Dracma notes all shrunk wrapped. Make of it what you will.

FT

2006 Landrover Freelander HSE TD4 (remapped) + 2011 Sterling Celebration 550
No trees were harmed by this message, but several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

my blog. ..Caravan Chronicles Twitter: @CaravanChron

some sites booked for our visit to Italy (Pompeii).

Hope you haven't booked the Pompeii site which is just off the High Street. I remember the traffic noise was unbearable. Car horns were sounding well into the early hours.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

We will be going June/July and again in September, we have never noticed any anti British feeling from the French we have met but they have moaned about their politicians and Parisians.

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

I'm looking forward to visiting France next summer and can't imagine having any problems. The only time I came across anything of that nature in France was as a young teenager when I was taken for a German. Well, it was a long time ago and I was very blonde!

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Anyone thinking of staying in UK next year and giving Europe a miss because of the Euro crisis and possible anti-Brit feelings over there?

I have not read any of the replies to this topic yet, but I live here permanently and I can assure you that I haven't seen or heard of any anti-Brit feelings. ................. What is more as the € appears to be taking more than somewhat of a tumble against the £, then anyone travelling over here will be getting more for their hard earned than in former years.

[indeed from chatting to a few of our neighbours it would appear they are more than a little bit concerned about the value of their € and the position of their country and several of them are actually envious of a country who has fought to retain its national identity]

Edited by bigjimmy

Definitely going, might get a better exchange rate! :rolleyes:

Would trust any politician as far as I could throw them! :ph34r:

Hyundai Tucson Hybrid+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

Slight change of subject Piesporter, we have 60163 in Kent this weekend

Worth a look if you havent seen it.

It has been at the East Lancs Heritage Railway in the past. We go to the CC site at Burrs Country Park 3 times a year for their Steam Enthusiasts weekends. Great spot - track runs right next to site, and on the enthusiasts weekends, the drivers tend to put on a show past the site because there is a popular photographers vantage point adjacent.

http://www. britishra. ..o&video_id=2067

Now you are talking!.................. Fast forward to 7 mins

Worth a look if you havent seen it.

It has been at the East Lancs Heritage Railway in the past. We go to the CC site at Burrs Country Park 3 times a year for their Steam Enthusiasts weekends. Great spot - track runs right next to site, and on the enthusiasts weekends, the drivers tend to put on a show past the site because there is a popular photographers vantage point adjacent.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

You have all convinced us. Booked the ferry this morning for six weeks in France next spring.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

http://www. britishra. ..o&video_id=2067

Now you are talking!.................. Fast forward to 7 mins

Excellent, but I'd rather see it full steam on the ECML. I remember years and years ago contributing to the building fund, but I've never seen it in the flesh.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

You have all convinced us. Booked the ferry this morning for six weeks in France next spring.

Aye! Go for it lad!

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

For any of you out there who travel in Europe for a long time each year and hence spend a lot of dosh, it might be worthwhile taking a punt and buying your money when you think the £ has climbed a little bit higher.

For any of you out there who travel in Europe for a long time each year and hence spend a lot of dosh, it might be worthwhile taking a punt and buying your money when you think the £ has climbed a little bit higher.

Can anyone lend me a crystal ball? :D

John.

Hi, I have to agree, when I said to my colleagues that I was moving to Normandie I had so many quotes " Why do you want to live there it is full of French" to which I said how many times have you visited France and how many French peolple do you know!" to which each and every one of them said never/ none! Totally agrre with above, enjoy your France/EU trip you will not regret it! Kindest Regards M

I had a farmhouse in Normandie just south of St Lo. The Norman people would not give a damm about Parisien poltics, they are thouroughly lovely people as are the French people in general. If the Normans had there way they would break away from the rest of France and go it alone I suspect. Have your holiday in this great and friendly country because if I had the oportunity to live there again I would pack my bags now.

Bailey Pegasus Bologna / BMW 530d F11 M-Sport

Can anyone lend me a crystal ball? :D

John.

OK; we can do this as we have a French bank account, but when we want to transfer money across from the UK we use a broker by the name of Baydon Hill who always offer a few % points higher exchange rates than the UK High st banks.

With Baydon Hill [and I believe others], you can take a punt by depositing 'x' amount of £'s with them and instructing them not to exchange into €'s until the rate has reached a figure which might be quite considerably higher than the one currently available.

When we cross the Channel for our summer holiday (7 weeks) we usually take around €1000-00 in cash and everything else goes on our Nationwide Gold credit card.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

We always take cash too. .....and if needed would use a credit or debit card. ...but we don't 'shop around' as far as the euro is concerned, what it is what it is on the day. ........spent one holiday with someone who worried all the Bureau de Chages about rates and ended up ony £12 better off after two weeks holiday. .....

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

When we cross the Channel for our summer holiday (7 weeks) we usually take around €1000-00 in cash and everything else goes on our Nationwide Gold credit card.

We go to Euroland each year for 10 to 12 weeks and take just enough cash to get us through the first two days.

After that everything goes on the Nationwide Gold Credit Card or comes out of the ATM with the Halifax Clarity Credit Card.

This year we got through €650 in cash and about €400 of that was on cash site fees.

G.