Should I Keep Or Replace My Caravan...

a18041967

Having purchased our first new van last year, my intention was to keep the van for 6-8 years and get my money's worth out of it. Having seen the prices that second hand vans can fetch I'm now wondering if I should replace my van every 2-3 years and pay £2-3000 to get a new model?

Hi There

It depends how much you love your van. My van is 15 years old and still going strong. Plenty of upgrades in it instead of buying new. If you keep your van in good condition with plenty of TLC then I would say it would be more cost effective than buying new every few years. However I suppose caravanners are the same as car drivers some upgrade every few years and others keep theirs until the wheels fall off!

Happy caravanning

Lee

this is exactly what we were going to do - bought a new van expected to run it for 6 - 7 years and then replace. Now we're not sure if a 2 year exchange pattern makes more sense. Although a new tow car would be needed for anything bigger/heavier than we have now - which isn't on the cards.

I'm obviously new to this but the price of used van's really surprised me, the state of most used stock at dealers (we didn't look privately) was at best dissappointing and at worse disgusting.

Could someone please tell me why someone would pay £10k for a 6 year old model with a 6 year old fridge and cooker etc (which may have been £15k when new) when say £11-12k gets them something brand new with a longer warrenty.

Am I missing something? Or is a brand name more important than condition and age?

Utterly confused!

Ian

^^^Very good posting Ian^^^

Totally agree and it baffles me too!

Must admit I changed my last van which was only a year old :rolleyes::rolleyes: but that was because of dealer service (or lack of it) that spoilt my feeling towards the van sadly :angry::angry:

I think, at the moment, used caravans are really holding their price, which is strange when sometimes there's very little difference between some used and brand new caravans. When I bought my van I had no intention of buying brand new as I felt they were the same as cars and would depreciate 1K-2K as soon as you took delivery. However, at the caravan show at the SECC in Glasgow a couple of years ago, I found out I could get a new van for 2K more than I'd expected to pay for a 2-3 year old van and the brand new van had about 2K's worth of extras that the older van wouldn't have had so it made sense to buy new.

As for changing it, I don't expect my circumstances to change, I love my van and no matter how much I like other vans I've seen, I always think I made the right choice with my van so, no, I intend keeping it at least 20 years. :D I think it's a totally personal choice though and, as someone else said, it's similar to cars. Some change every 2-3 years and some don't. I don't LOL as my car's now 10 years old and I've had it 8 years with no intention of changing it either. :lol:

We are looking to change our van after two years - more for reasons of rapidly growing children than anything else !

The high secondhand prices are also supporting the part exchange deal prices - pays to shop around, but if you can get a good price for a new van, and a good trade in for your old. Seems to work best if you are trading within a brand (ie New Lunar for old Lunar).

We are also hoping to offset the cost of winter storage, by Part-exchanging later in the Autumn, to take delivery of new van in the Spring.

Happy caravanning

Sarah

I agree with Ian, and they date so quickly too, a 1999 'van looks awful to me, and its not that long ago, ***** pile carpet and velour seats (no offence intended btw!)

Why pay all that money when not a lot more gets you new or nearly new?

Having purchased our first new van last year, my intention was to keep the van for 6-8 years and get my money's worth out of it. Having seen the prices that second hand vans can fetch I'm now wondering if I should replace my van every 2-3 years and pay £2-3000 to get a new model?

38202[/snapback]

Keep the van you have as long as you can, then either invest the £2-3000 or have a fab overseas holday each year!! ;)

Archived