Propane Or Calor Gas - Whats The Difference

a18041967

Whats the difference and benefit between Calor Gas (Blue Bottles) & Propane (Red Bottles). I'm seeing an increase in the number of people buying Propane.

I'm aware that my regulator will need changing?

The main differences are that butane ceases to gas off at around 0 degrees C, whereas propane will do so well below freezing. If you caravan in cold weather, therefore, propane is probably the better choice, although personally I have never had a problem with butane. Propane also runs at a higher pressure and requires a different regulator. I belive that propane is also slightly more expensive, and I expect someone on this excellent forum can calculate this by working out its thermal efficiency and its cost in relation to butane!

GMC

After hearing all the pros & cons of each gas, I fitted inline connectors in my gas pipe, so that I could interchange the gas with no problems.

We went away at Easter this year, breakfast took an age to cook :o, as the temperature dropped overnight :( (we were on Butane). It is more important to me to get my breakfast than save a couple of quid :lol: .

I think propane works out cheap enough, and we use a lot of CL's without mains, however more to the point Propane works all the time, no matter what the weather is :) . Now we only use Propane B)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

If your gas bottle is in a locker in the van, the outside temperature doesnt have to be as low as 0 c for butane to 'freeze' . . particularly if its a small locker like on Avondales . . evaporating the gas takes heat out of the surrounding air, so in a closed locker, no warm air is getting in to keep the temperature up . .

that said, I still use butane and on a cool morning I open the front locker to let air circulate . . however, I notice that Gaslow are now doing a "hand-tightening" propane pigtail, avoiding the bother with a spanner in a confined space . . so may now go the propane route. :)

Archived