Freeview

baresi

I have just bought a digital freeview box (Pacific PSTB-1). It was only £30. It worked OK at home on a portable TV with its own aerial (the circular wire type which plugs into the TV). However when I try it in the caravan I get a message which says - "No channels found. Check antenna". This is when I am using either the caravans Status omni-directional aerial or an outside UHF aerial on a mast which I've just purchased. The TV I am using in the caravan is a Goodmans LD1501 15" LCD TV. Does anyone know why the freeview works at home but not in the caravan?

I think you will find that the Status aerial, because it looks in every direction, isn't always up to the job if the signal area you are in is a bit iffy. I reverted to using my old but very efficient Magic Circle, and then deicided to get a proper, pole-mounted aerial. The latter allows you to point it at the transmitter, and you should then get the best signal available. The problem is that Freeview (digital) requires a good signal, whereas you can get away with a mediocre one on the 'old' analogue system which is usually watchable even if the quality isn't good. I suppose the ultimate is satellite but I have not yet tried this myself.

There are plenty of postings on this forum regarding problems with TV reception - try the 'search' function and they should come up.

Before you ask - how do I know where the transmitter is in an area I don't know, try:

http://www. wolfbane. com/cgi-bin/tva. exe?

It includes a lot of technical data, but the item to look for is the compass bearing from the postcode of the site. It also tells you whether the reflectors on the aerial should be vertical or horizontal (called the polarisation). I simply enter the site postcode before I go and take a print of the page with me.

Hope this helps.

GMC

I use digital with no problems, binned the status, and use a real aerial on a pole.

We use it in Norfolk and get good reception, (can't get channel five with analogue).

The locals told us to get freeveiw to get channel five, ( the telly shops told them it wouldn't work, but it does) :rolleyes:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I have just bought a digital freeview box (Pacific PSTB-1). It was only £30. It worked OK at home on a portable TV with its own aerial (the circular wire type which plugs into the TV). However when I try it in the caravan I get a message which says - "No channels found. Check antenna". This is when I am using either the caravans Status omni-directional aerial or an outside UHF aerial on a mast which I've just purchased. The TV I am using in the caravan is a Goodmans LD1501 15" LCD TV. Does anyone know why the freeview works at home but not in the caravan?

38199[/snapback]

We bought a Freeview box for the van at the start of the year.

It worked fine when we tested it parked in our drive at home with just the Van Omni Aerial, but not at all on the North East Coast (Whitby, Bamburgh etc), but then worked quite well in Dorset, but not Devon !!

Apparently the Freeview Service doesn't cover all areas of the UK yet.

If you go to the Freeview Website you can enter the postcode of the park you're going to and it will tell you whether or not it is in the reception area.

Personally I think coastal areas must be on the fringe of the coverage.

I'm seriously thinking of taking the advice of a previous poster, and getting an old style aerial on a pole and seeing if that improves matters.

We have been to 6 destinations this year and only been able to use the box at two of them.

- Wilky

I'm seriously thinking of taking the advice of a previous poster, and getting an old style aerial on a pole and seeing if that improves matters.

38279[/snapback]

It does. :D

I only get Freeview using the omni status aerial if it's in a strong reception area but there's places where the reception's been so bad through the omni status that I couldn't watch Freeview but when I'd swap over and use my aerial on a pole I got it fine.

It does.   :D

I only get Freeview using the omni status aerial if it's in a strong reception area but there's places where the reception's been so bad through the omni status that I couldn't watch Freeview but when I'd swap over and use my aerial on a pole I got it fine.

38296[/snapback]

Great - It's good to get some positive feedback before rushing out and spending the hard earned stuff !!

Thanks for the info.

- Wilky

caravan(omni status etc) are rubbish for terrestial and digital receivers unless in a very good receptive area(lets face it,campsites seem to be the worst places for a decent signal),some freestanding aerials for internal use are also useless. best are definately the external aerials- digital compatible(not all are)that you can hoist upon a pole,you will get a much better reception,even internal booster aerials fair no better

caravan(omni status etc) are rubbish for terrestial and digital receivers unless in a very good receptive area(lets face it,campsites seem to be the worst places for a decent signal),some freestanding aerials for internal use are also useless. best are definately the external aerials- digital compatible(not all are)that you can hoist upon a pole,you will get a much better reception,even internal booster aerials fair no better

38301[/snapback]

Well said that man. . did we go to the same charm school?

If you MUST use an aerial. .. I will put a package together based on the following.

Get a big pole, Log periodic aerial, Televes 15db mast head amp with p/s to suit & lots of red wine, beer & excuses for when it doesn't work!

I am not a gambling man but I would bet on you getting good reception on no more than 30% of sites.

Cut out the middle man & just stick pins in your eyes :blink:

Mal

Hi,

Regarding signal strength, many CC sites have signal boosters that you can plug into. They are situated on the same box that the electric supply is on, you just need a long enough co-axial extension cable. Theyt work very well too. Would this help with the Freeview. I've considered buying on, an Alba for £29. 99 from Sainsburys. Seems to be a bargain. Do these cheapies work?

navigator

Personally, I think those status ariels are brilliant, you get hours of entertainment on sites watching the aruguments and head scratching, there I am with me 12 year old van, 3 peice pole and me 10 element ariel on top watching something on Freeview (men and Motors for example) and the people around me in their 10k plus caravans with status ariels cant get a picture, the looks I get off em. ....................BRILLIANT

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

All in all, my setup cost me less than £20, and never failed me yet

Hi,

Regarding signal strength, many CC sites have signal boosters that you can plug into. They are situated on the same box that the electric supply is on, you just need a long enough co-axial extension cable. Theyt work very well too. Would this help with the Freeview. I've considered buying on, an Alba for £29. 99 from Sainsburys. Seems to be a bargain. Do these cheapies work?

navigator

38749[/snapback]

The CC site aerial will work on Freeview if it is available in the area & the rigger has set the aerial up correctly.

The postcode look up on the Freeview website is only a guide so don't take the results as definitive.

Cheap Freeview boxes are OK but tend to be very "buggy" & often don't work on the interactive services which is the equivalent of Teletext. ITV text has just done a test on some of the cheaper boxes & published the results on the Teletext pages. Page 104 in the Midlands.

We sell the Panasonic freeview box & that works very well but its ssp is £90 from memory. Just remember none of them will work if the aerial is no good.

Regards

Mal

Personally, I think those status ariels are brilliant, you get hours of entertainment on sites watching the aruguments and head scratching, there I am with me 12 year old van, 3 peice pole and me 10 element ariel on top watching something on Freeview (men and Motors for example) and the people around me in their 10k plus caravans with status ariels cant get a picture, the looks I get off em. ....................BRILLIANT

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

All in all, my setup cost me less than £20, and never failed me yet

38769[/snapback]

Funny but unkind. ... most punters don't understand that the Status aerial is just covering up a hole in the roof that was made in error.

Mal

I have to agree with all the criticism I've read about the Status aerial on both this disucssion forum and another one. Strangley enough, I have never seen a reply from anybody at Status. Surely someone in their marketing dept. must read the forums. Or perhaps because their equipment is fitted by most caravan manufacturers (why? you may well ask) they don't need to bother with puplic opinion.

Be nice to hear from Status why they charge so much for their aerials when 90% of the caravaners who use them think they are carp (excuse the mis-spelling).

Just come back from 2 weeks at different sites using the Status with a Freeview box and picture was brilliant! The box even enhanced the normal terrestial picture! Having said that, we were in areas that could receive Freeview.

Just one point, I had to locate the box as far away from the television as I could get it as it did now work very well when on top of the TV. Could be that the jumble of wires effected the signal.

We were enjoying TV whilst neighbours were fiddling for hours with their satellite dish!

Have noticed that Status are now supplying a new "directional" arial on new vans. Has anyone used one? Is it better than the original and can it be retrofitted?

Roger