Sign in to follow this  
klyne

Carrying Breath Test Kits To Be Compulsory In France?

Not sure if this will apply to non French drivers but French rules usually do! The fine for not having one seems very modest to be a deterrent. I did wonder if it was some sort of wind up when they started to talk about having a failsafe system where by the car would not start unless you had the required low blood alcohol level? I am also struggling to see the logic for carrying such a device. If your are going to be stopped by the Police I would have thought they would have provided them!

http://connexionfrance. com/Breath-test-alcohol-driver-Sarkozy-death-toll-speed-camera-13266-view-article. html

David

Also if you are going to drink and drive you will do it no matter what an in car gadget says - in fact they probably wouldn't even use it.

An immediate reaction is how long is this device's usable life and its cost?

If it is short, costly and a requirement for UK visitors then it is the sort of thing the Clubs ought to loan out on deposit with ferry bookings. I can just see me buying one every year to keep it in date and throwing it away year on year; not very environmentally satisfactory.

Now which supplier/maker ought I to be buying shares in given the number of these products flying out of their doors?

Edited by JTQ

Interior Minister Claude Guéant has also asked EU authorities to look at the obligatory installation of anti-start breath test monitors in each car. Drivers would have to blow into the machine - and pass - before their car would start.

A non starter? Not the car, the idea!

How long before the driver gets round it by getting someone else to blow into the thing?

so what would happen if you dont actually drink?, i could see problems if fitted to start cars, get up first thing do the usual stuff use some mouth wash get in car, car doesnt start due to detecting alchol from the mouth wash, there could aslo be ways around it, blow a couple of baloons up before hand, after a couple fo drinks get back in car and ballon onto the blowy thing aand away you go.

I have sent the news paper an email to see if this will apply to UK drivers who visit France on holiday or work, not hold my "breath" in getting a reply though.

Another waste of money coming our way from the EU "so called thick think tanks" No wonder we are in such a mess

Not sure if this will apply to non French drivers but French rules usually do! The fine for not having one seems very modest to be a deterrent. I did wonder if it was some sort of wind up when they started to talk about having a failsafe system where by the car would not start unless you had the required low blood alcohol level? I am also struggling to see the logic for carrying such a device. If your are going to be stopped by the Police I would have thought they would have provided them!

http://connexionfran. ..ew-article. html

David

i've seen other links directly to the French Government press release.

The theory being bandied about is that it will save the government providing test kits as the driver will provide it at his own expense instead. Fail the roadside test and the official police station test will follow as in the U. K. Presumably the kits would have to comply to a standard to be acceptable.

There seems little point in a driver carrying a kit to test himself before driving as he will know how much he has drunk and could decide he is below the limit and not perform the test, after all, it will cost money to replace the kit. Even if the test kit is used, and passed, before driving a later stop by the police would require a kit to be produced - ergo - two kits are needed as a minimum.

http://connexionfrance. com/Breath-test-alcohol-driver-Sarkozy-death-toll-speed-camera-13266-view-article. html

David

I am at a loss to see how this could stand up in a court of law. ..even a French one.

A prerequisite for establishing if someone Is over the legal limit is a calibrated system belonging to the authorities. Having all and sundry buying knock off devices on eBay. fr would somewhat muddy the water.

What next. our own tachos to show we weren't speeding?

Bizarre.

The only references I have seen to this have been on various forums. I really can't see the point and suspect it's a rumour started by some of the usual suspects.

The only references I have seen to this have been on various forums. I really can't see the point and suspect it's a rumour started by some of the usual suspects.

I am at a loss to see how this could stand up in a court of law. ..even a French one.

A prerequisite for establishing if someone Is over the legal limit is a calibrated system belonging to the authorities. Having all and sundry buying knock off devices on eBay. fr would somewhat muddy the water.

Bizarre.

Failing the self supplied roadside test still requires a police station evidential test for a prosection. Some of the test kits are as cheap as 1€ and the penalty for not carrying one is only 17€.

Like the refelective gilets and triangle situation after a year it will become the norm to carry a kit (if it ever becomes law)

Failing the self supplied roadside test still requires a police station evidential test for a prosection. Some of the test kits are as cheap as 1€ and the penalty for not carrying one is only 17€.

Like the refelective gilets and triangle situation after a year it will become the norm to carry a kit (if it ever becomes law)

It's not the costs that concerns me. Jackets and triangles are there to protect in case of an accident. Carrying your own breathalyser smacks of having to prove you are innocent rather than the authorities proving you are guilty. ..dangerous precedence.

So when will we see the fitting of the obligatory installation of anti-engine start breath test monitors? Will they in due course become a MOT inspection feature. It conjures up a funny picture of the test examiner having a little booze up before he can see if the device is working. :D

It's not the costs that concerns me. Jackets and triangles are there to protect in case of an accident. Carrying your own breathalyser smacks of having to prove you are innocent rather than the authorities proving you are guilty. ..dangerous precedence.

I thought that was the way French law worked anyway!

David

I thought that was the way French law worked anyway!

David

Of course - silly me :)

Received this email from the newspaper: So query your Suspicions of rumors :unsure: After all it is written in a newspaper!!! ;)

Quote:

Thank you for your query and for your interest in The Connexion. Your email has been forwarded to our Editorial team (they can be reached direct at news@connexionfrance. com)

They will be in touch if we need more information about the issues you have raised. Please note however that, due to the high volume of mail that we get, we are not able to answer every question sent to us. If we are able to answer yours, our response will be printed in a forthcoming issue of The Connexion.

Nathalie

Subscriptions

English Language Media

Publishers of The Connexion, the Dordogne Advertiser, the Normandy Advertiser, the Brittany Pages and the Languedoc Pages

France's English-language newspapers - Les journaux de la France en anglais

www. connexionfrance. com

Subscriptions/Sales Hotline (Mon-Fri, 9am-1pm):

Tel from France: 0800 91 77 56 (Free Number)

Tel from UK: 0844 256 9881 (4p/mn)

For daily news, previously published articles, helpguides, and more on life in France, please visit our website www. connexionfrance. com

Pour l'actualité quotidienne, nos articles d'archive, nos guides et tout

savoir sur la vie en France, visitez notre site sur www. connexionfrance. com

For even more news, practical tips about life in France, What's On events for the weekend and other special offers:

Subscribe to our free weekly email newsletter here: http://www. connexionfrance. com/expatriate-news-article. php?art=665

Ian

It has been widely mentioned in the mainstream French press, one example here http://www. liberation. fr/societe/01012374946-l-ethylotest-bientot-obligatoire-dans-chaque-vehicule You can use Google to translate if required.

David

I will be checking this one out. .................

Bonne chance

hmn not sure and it wasnt clear if this is a law for the french or whether it was for residents and visitors, suffice to say thats one more pair of trouser less in your overall load to combine with beam benders, emergency triangle, first aid kit, hi vis vest etc etc.

looks like ill be be taking my shorts then !

I missed that thread! Hopefully some local knowledge will assist us!

DFDS are aware too so it looks like a "go ahead"

Keep us posted Jimmy with anything "concrete" please.

For the sake of a couple of quid, I ordered one anyway. Saying that, I have never been stopped in France, other than the border Basle/Mulhouse where I feel I am on first name terms with the staff!

Russell

Hi all,

So do I take it that, we must have one available in our car for when we believe we've had too much and can breathalise ourselves before setting off in our cars. When asked by the law," where's your breathaliser " You can answer by saying " I used it when leaving the bar, I am not over the limit, I placed it in a waste bin,Goodnight ". How many have we got to carry. Catch ya later,indoors.

Hi all,

So do I take it that, we must have one available in our car for when we believe we've had too much and can breathalise ourselves before setting off in our cars. When asked by the law," where's your breathaliser " You can answer by saying " I used it when leaving the bar, I am not over the limit, I placed it in a waste bin,Goodnight ". How many have we got to carry. Catch ya later,indoors.

Good one!

Breathalyser is anticipated to be approved in first trimestre of 2012 and to be carried from 1st April 2012.

Some unofficial sources are suggesting foreign cars will be exempt but at €1 - €1. 50 each why not carry one? Although the penalty is only €17. ...

According to official sources only three items wil then be obligatory - breathalyer, reflective gilet and triangle(s) . ... (note bulbs and first aid kit are not obligatory items.)