Reversing Your Caravan

Enforcer1965

Hi John and welcome to the forum

I assume you are talking about straight line reversing. If so, I think the easiest technique is this: Sit back in the seat, with the outfit lined up straight and start reversing SLOWLY. Watch the mirrors on either side and you will see the back of the caravan begin to appear in one mirror, when that happens, turn the wheel towards that mirror, slowly, it wont need a lot of correction if you catch it early. So, if you see the van appearing in the nearside mirror, turn the wheel anti clockwise. As you do this the van will begin to disappear from that mirror and start to appear in the other mirror, turn the wheel towards that mirror.

Avoid trying to look out of the back or side windows. Just relax, hold the wheel lightly and enjoy !!

Good luck

NRF

Put the hand your going to steer with at the top or bottom of the steering wheel.   Whichever way your hand moves when your steering backwards - thats the way the caravan will go ( hand right=caravan right etc)

37980[/snapback]

This applies only to hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, surely. It can't apply to both hand at top or bottom. Or am I missing something?

Frank

Hi John and welcome.

Hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, which ever way you want the caravan to go you turn the steering wheel in that direction. Hand at the top sends it the wrong way.

Also I would recommend you practice, practice and then practice some more.

Reversing a caravan is a nack you can only develop through practice and confidence. If you feel under pressure it can all go wrong, if you feel people are watching, again until you are comfortable, you feel the pressure and it can all go wrong.

Take things slowly, don't wait until your caravan is at 90 degrees to the car before trying to rectify. If you get out of line pull forward a few yards to straighten things up. If you are reversing onto a pitch don't try to go for a 90 deg. turn, drive forward and then swing your outfit out to 45 deg. to the pitch before reversing.

Have a good look at the pitch before you attempt to reverse, try and get a picture in your mind of how you want the caravan to look on the pitch and then just go for it.

It helps if you can get someone to stand in a prominent position on the pitch. If you are reversing from the left, get them to stand on the left at the rear of the pitch at the position you want the rear left of the caravan to be. They should always then be in sight from your left mirror and vice versa for a right hand reverse.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Steve

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Good advice as usual from above.

Practise, try and find a large empty carpark on an evening or Sunday and try it out for a while get the feel of which way and how far etc. No audiences and no pressure.

Try this site its a bit of fun.

http://www. collegemix. com/content. php?q=2&id=2080

Cheers

Bob

Take your time, and practice.

I'm quite new to vanning, and we keep our can alongside out house. 2nd timeout and on the return home my Mrs thought it would be better to reverse the van all the way along the house (I was waiting for her to say stop, then unhitch & push back)

As it is pretty impossible to tell where the back of the van is I'd pratcially completed the manoeurve by the time I realised her plan!!!!

6 inches clearance really focuses the mind on reversing!!!!

If you ever want to REALLY test your reverse parking, borrow my van. It's an american Ford Econoline 150 panel van with no side or rear windows, 5 litre petrol engine, automatic transmission and left hand drive. Driving solo is a daily laugh (it gets used daily for my business) but for added amusement attach my Swift Challenger and go caravanning. As a towtruck it's great, no shortage of power, plenty of room for bicycles, barbecues, fishing tackle etc and it's wider than the caravan so mirrors work well. ..to a point. Overtaking needs plenty of prior observation and parking/pitching really does need the help of an astute observer. Fortunately, during business use, I tow a large trailer which was built upon a caravan chassis, and I get lots of practise when manouevering. This helps my confidence when pitching up the caravan.

Even when using my rather more conventional LWB Shogun I find that three things make for safe/accurate pitching, observation, observation and observation.

Regards, Ian

I assume you are talking about straight line reversing. If so, I think the easiest technique is this:  Sit back in the seat, with the outfit lined up straight and start reversing SLOWLY. Watch the mirrors on either side and you will see the back of the caravan begin to appear in one mirror, when that happens, turn the wheel towards that mirror, slowly, it wont need a lot of correction if you catch it early. So, if you see the van appearing in the nearside mirror, turn the wheel anti clockwise. As you do this the van will begin to disappear from that  mirror and start to appear in the other mirror, turn the wheel towards that mirror.

NRF

37978[/snapback]

Thats the best advice for reversing a caravan I've read.

We bought a cheap pair of walkie talkies - great for late arrivals when you are reversing in the dark :o

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

Hi John and welcome to the forum

I assume you are talking about straight line reversing. If so, I think the easiest technique is this:  Sit back in the seat, with the outfit lined up straight and start reversing SLOWLY. Watch the mirrors on either side and you will see the back of the caravan begin to appear in one mirror, when that happens, turn the wheel towards that mirror, slowly, it wont need a lot of correction if you catch it early. So, if you see the van appearing in the nearside mirror, turn the wheel anti clockwise. As you do this the van will begin to disappear from that  mirror and start to appear in the other mirror, turn the wheel towards that mirror.

Avoid trying to look out of the back or side windows. Just relax, hold the wheel lightly and enjoy !!

Good luck

NRF

37978[/snapback]

This is good advice. I would add that wherever possible, drive forwards to a position that means you only have to reverse in a straight line to get on the pitch (avoid having to reverse round a right-angle). Remember that when reversing, the caravan will take a while to react to your actions. My last bit of advice is to think about going on one of the caravan club's practical driving courses.

We bought a cheap pair of walkie talkies - great for late arrivals when you are reversing in the dark :o

38076[/snapback]

Sounds great - if I teach my wife how to reverse the van on to the pitch, I can give her encouragement from the nearest pub ;):P

Good advice as usual from above.

Practise, try and find a large empty carpark on an evening or Sunday and try it out for a while get the feel of which way and how far etc. No audiences and no pressure.

Try this site its a bit of fun.

http://www. collegemix. com/content. php?q=2&id=2080

Mr best time score so far 12. 7

Anyone beat it? :D

Archived