'van Use Advice Please

Stephen Tomkison

Just picked up our new van tonight, yipee! If anyone saw our original post we were unsure on buying a 2004 model coachman amara 500/5 but we decided to go for it.

But, as usual, cant really remember a word that was said to us on the handover and the manuals that come with each bit of kit arnt exactly easy to follow, well maybe I'm thick, not sure which it is!

Anyways. ... I have a couple of questions.

1. The water heater, a Truma Ultra store. ....... is this filled from the Aqua roll along with the cold water supply?

2. I think that I recall the guy doing the handover mentioning a second pump similar to the one used on the aquaroll been used on the cassete toilet to flush it. .. think he said it was black, whereas the the one for the water is blue. Is this right? If so cant find it in the 'van!

3. How does any unused water in the toilet header tank get removed?

4. Will the PDI included flushing/cleaning/sterilising the water system or do we have to do it before using the caravan?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Hi Steve, 1, Yes the water heater is filled from the cold water supply, fill your aqua roll insert pump switch on run hot tap until wter runs without spluttering switch on heater. 2, the pump for the toilet is built into the toilet so you won't see it. 3, There is a drain tube or bung in the area you take the cassette from. 4, very unlikly the pdi would flush the system, best doing it yourself just to be sure.

Just picked up our new van tonight, yipee! If anyone saw our original post we were unsure on buying a 2004 model coachman amara 500/5 but we decided to go for it.

But, as usual, cant really remember a word that was said to us on the handover and the manuals that come with each bit of kit arnt exactly easy to follow, well maybe I'm thick, not sure which it is!

1. The water heater, a Truma Ultra store. ....... is this filled from the Aqua roll along with the cold water supply?

2. I think that I recall the guy doing the handover mentioning a second pump similar to the one used on the aquaroll been used on the cassete toilet to flush it. .. think he said it was black, whereas the the one for the water is blue. Is this right? If so cant find it in the 'van!

4. Will the PDI included flushing/cleaning/sterilising the water system or do we have to do it before using the caravan?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

37966[/snapback]

Hi there - the water heater will be filled from the aquaroll - when you attach the water pump open the hot and cold water taps for a little while until the water comes through. (Remember to drain the hot water tank if you are not using the van during the winter though )

There will be two pumps (look in all the drawers, cupboards etc) the blue one is for the aquaroll - and there will be a small black one that has a pump on one end and a small hose. There will be a place inside the toilet compartment to attach the connection - you put this is the aquaroll hook it up to the connector and the water will fill the toilet header tank.

Dont know how the water from the header tank is drained - I have never drained mine.

I would have thought the PDI will have cleaned the water supply - but if in doubt do it again !!

Hope that help - and you can understand what I mean :huh:

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

Hi, I fill my toilet header tank from a can.   I have never heard of this small black pump and connection on the toilet tank.   Is this only on certain vans?

caw

38031[/snapback]

Thanks all for the advice. I did manage to get to call the dealer and he said there should of been a black/white tube/pump to fill up the toilet flush tank. He said it was an option/extra on the van that we bought. Its just that there is so so much to remember and never heard any of it before as never owned a 'van before!

Thanks for the advice on the water system though, it is appreciated.

Think I remember him showing me a set of 2 drain valaves and 1 near the water heater. Guess the later is obviously for draining the water heater just have to try remember what the other 2 together are for!

(Remember to drain the hot water tank if you are not using the van during the winter though )

There will be two pumps (look in all the drawers, cupboards etc) the blue one is for the aquaroll - and there will be a small black one that has a pump on one end and a small hose.   There will be a place inside the toilet compartment to attach the connection - you put this is the aquaroll hook it up to the connector and the water will fill the toilet header tank.

Dont know how the water from the header tank is drained - I have never drained mine.

I would have thought the PDI will have cleaned the water supply - but if in doubt do it again !!

37977[/snapback]

I understand perfectly, thank-u!!

Is there an "idiots guide to caravans" anywhere (like the computer books we see at PC world) that says how to best clean and maintain caravan systems?

How do we clean out the water system and when?

What do we clean it with?

Can the water that we get from site (in aqua-roll) be used for drinking or is it best to use bottled water or just use it once boiled (for hot drinks etc)?

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

I use Puriclean, should be available from any caravan shop. Mix it with water as directed, add it to the Aquaroll and then let the pump push it around the system. Open each of the taps in turn, including the shower, to ensure it reaches all parts. I then leave mine for a few hours to allow it to work fully, before changing the water in the Aquaroll with fresh and pushing that round until the water coming from each tap, and the shower, loses the slight smell of the steriliser.

I usually sterilise before first use in the Spring, and again if the van has been standing unused for a few weeks.

In 12 years I have never (knowingly) had a problem using the site water from the Aquaroll for drinking. I'm not a fan of bottled water and find the local stuff perfectly good.

A good 'idiots' guide' is probably the Caravan Manual by (I think) John Wickersham and published by Haynes, but I expect there are others too.

GMC

I/ we never drink straight from the aquaroll. A caravan isn't like a house, its a home on wheels that you use very occasionally and maybe not for weeks/ months on end. The thought of stale water or residue hanging around in plasic pipes and containers that I might then drink doesn't appeal really :blink: With children on board, its just not worth the risk of them "getting something" so we fill up a big plastic water container with a tap from the site water supply and drink from that - no risk, no hassleand no need for tablets.

We use water bottles for drinking, fill them from the site tap. The water from the caravan taps tastes nasty :(, (this is the first caravan that we have had with this problem ;) ).

We have sterilised etc but it's still bad, on the brighter side water from the bottle is cold from the fridge, (bit of a bind filling the kettle though), still try yours and see :).

We did think that it was becouse the van was new, however two years on and it still tastes bad :(

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

1. The water heater, a Truma Ultra store. ....... is this filled from the Aqua roll along with the cold water supply

yes,when filling close all taps except kitchen hot water tap,make sure valve for water heater is in horizontal position,turn on pump and wait for water to flow evenly from the tap. truma water heater should now be filled and system primed

never heard of this,its either an electic flush(button on top of cistern) or manual(handle to pump on top of cistern)

use the pump to fully empty the header tank,inside the door where the cassette goes there also will be a drainage tube

the water system will have been tested to make sure there a no leaks and it is working correctly,you only need to steralise the system once a year,unless you dont use the van that often

Thanks for your help.

Steve

37966[/snapback]

Hi, we don't drink from the taps in the van as said earlier if the van is stood weeks between use who knows what the stale water can do, we normally pick up a couple 2 litre still table water bottles and a couple of 500ml bottles for the fridge and just keep re-filling them when were on site, the 2litre bottles from morrisons supermarket are only about 20p each so its easier than keep flushing the vans pipework systems . :)

Margaret

37977[/snapback]

The toilet header tank can be drained by flushing the fluid out as you normally would, just keeping flushing and it will eventually drain, with an electric flush just keep the button pressed until the tank is empty, you can use the electric flush for upto 15 minutes continuous without causing damage (according to thetford).

If you leave your flush water in over winter, you run the risk of the water freezing and damaging the tank. I drain everything off during winter.

navigator

We have a coachman van 2005, and yes we have the black tube for filling the toilet tank, it runs of a small battery pack inside the cassette locker.

Shiba. :rolleyes:

38210[/snapback]

I have found the tube/pump in question, well hidden under one of the beds. It dont run off that battery pack it runs from 12v. That battery pack is to illuminate the red LED on the loo top when the cartridge is full, thats one thing about the handover I do remember!!

Steve

Archived