Awnings

KeithJ

Best awning pegs, This topic was debated on 15 Aug I've only just seen it.

I found the best are the rock type never let me down yet. I use a small rubber handled crow bar to pull them out with the fork ground out to fit the peg.

Anyway, the reason for this post is, in the middle of summer the ground is rock hard and it's a devils own job to get pegs out. So what i do the night before we are due to leave is I pour a jug of water around the peg which softens the earth and they pull out a treat the next day.

hope this helps someone keith

Hi Keith,

I use a claw hammer to knock them in, and use the claw part to pull them out.

You might need to grind (or file) the gap in the claw out, to fit the pegs though :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I get my muscular 24 year old son to kock them in and to remove them. I don't know, or care much, how he does it. ....he just does. ...bless

I recently went to a site where on a previous visit our pitch had been very hard and stony. Not wanting to pay over a pound each for rock pegs, I popped down to a well known DIY store and bought a bag of 20 six-inch nails for about £2. 50. I was glad, as our pitch this time was soft and grassy and the plastic pegs managed fine. B)

Slightly off target this one but what about the awning tie down kit when used on hard standings. The supplied pegs with the Fiamma kit are just pressed steel and when knocked into the hard standing are a little lacking. Although great care was taken to knock the one peg in question squarely and firmly, it did bend a bit at the point, but needs must, it was starting to blow somewhat. I have since straightened it on return home and intend to use it for grass only. I have searched the web for larger diameter and longer pegs suitable for hard standing use but so far haven't found anything. The standard rock pegs are too small for the job. I have made some temporary ones up using 300mm long 12mm dia re-bar which is pretty tough stuff and they look ok but haven't yet tried them in anger.

Anyone have any ideas on pucker suppliers.

Bob

I have hundreds of pegs --- orange - green -red -grey - you name them. Many with bent points and missing ears.

Metal bent bits of wire - thick and thin.

I have come to the conclusion that most are not needed and have now got myself some heavy duty types which basically look like large 8" nails with a yellow plastic bit at the end. These are all we take now.

We now store them in a redundant zipped "football boot bag" (with Nike tick)

These pegs go into all types of ground be the ground soft or hard as rock. . especialy if you use the 5 lb hammer wich fits in the bag as well -- no bouncy rubber ones. .

Much easier to store and think about -- no bent bits of plastic - hitting a stone 3" down etc. .

We do have a dorma type down strap but these pegs 15" bits of angle are kept in their own bag in the front locker and are rarely used.

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Slightly off target this one but what about the awning tie down kit when used on hard standings. The supplied pegs with the Fiamma kit are just pressed steel and when knocked into the hard standing are a little lacking. Although great care was taken to knock the one peg in question squarely and firmly, it did bend a bit at the point, but needs must, it was starting to blow somewhat. I have since straightened it on return home and intend to use it for grass only. I have searched the web for larger diameter and longer pegs suitable for hard standing use but so far haven't found anything. The standard rock pegs are too small for the job. I have made some temporary ones up using 300mm long 12mm dia re-bar which is pretty tough stuff and they look ok but haven't yet tried them in anger.

Bob

39018[/snapback]

I use the dog screws! :mellow:

those for screwing into the ground and fastening the lead to, always managed to get them into grass though, :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

• 1 month later...

joiner_8,Nov 10 2005, 06:04 PM]

I find that the heavy duty metal pegs with the orange plastic top are ok, and yes they are hard to pull out.

I also find that the plastic tops are very brittle and easy to split.

Bit severe the Hilti guns but I guess the awning wouldn't blow away would it, neighbours might moan about the noise. My side question was about pegs for use on the hard standing area for the tie down kits. I eventually made some from re-bar for concreting which will do the job nicely now that I have hammerite painted them. I'm still looking but so far haven't seen anything which looks beefy enough to:-

1) Knock through the hard core/gravel without too much damage to the pegs going in or the ground coming out. The pressed steel Fiamma bent a bit into the hard standing ( probably wasn't meant for use there but the wind was getting up and I had no tie down kit) and wouldn't last too long if really knocked well in. Pulling out also did more damage to the original.

2) Easyish enough to pull out whilst long enough to get a good grip of the deck. Mine have a roughly circular section and a nut welded on the end to hit but also to twist them out when the need arises.

3) Strong enough for the job, two pegs only on the kits and a fair amount of load in the winds we get sometimes.

I think I'll patent my home made ones.

Bob

We always carry heavy duty metal pegs and rock pegs as they are both best for their designed use.

The Dorema tie down kit has excellent very heavy duty pegs.

I use an old claw hammer for putting them in and taking them out,no problem. :)

Frank

Edited by Frank

Bob

39018[/snapback]

As our pitches usually have paving stones down where the awning goes, I use a masonry drill, rawl plugs and strong cup hooks to peg the awning and storm strap down. Of course, we are there for months !!!!!!!!!

"Warden"

I have just received my replacement 9†cross pegs used them with the last awning and they were the only pegs that I carried I left the plastic ones supplied by bradcott at home they were ok on grass but no use on hard standing I found that the cross pegs were fine on both and at £2. 40 for six there are not expensive towsure unfortunately have realised that after I don’t know how long that they had them down as a pack of 10 first and under that a pack of 6 so last time I ordered them I got a better deal.

I was also quite surprised to see the pegs that dorema supplied with there awning only thing I can see them fit for is the bin they are the v type metal and would defiantly bend even if they just hit a stone.

Regards

JON

. .....................quite surprised to see the pegs that dorema supplied with there awning only thing I can see them fit for is the bin they are the v type metal and would defiantly bend even if they just hit a stone. ...............

44595[/snapback]

I think that the best option is to carry a selection.

I think that the best option is to carry a selection.

44599[/snapback]

Navarac

At first I did used to carry two sets one plastic and the 9†cross pegs but found that the cross pegs worked equally as well on grass as hard standing remembering that on grass they should be put in at 45 degree angle so I just took the cross pegs in the end saved on space not so much on weight as the plastic ones don’t weigh that much but they are bulky I do carry 6 large 12†plastic pegs just in case the ground is extremely soft.

Regards

JON

• 2 years later...

I find the best pegs are those sold by fishing tackle shops for bivvys.

The ones I use are made by Trakker and come in wallets of 10 so though they are quite expensive. .... (£10. 99 for the standard ones or £14. 99 for the XL ones).... you should never loose any if you put them straight back in the wallet as you pull them out.

Each has its own pulling handle moulded to the top of it and I've never found a pitch yet where I haven't been able to push them in by hand. .... :D

Small ones trakbivpegsmall.jpg XL ones trakbivpegxl.jpg

Edited by Burnt

I find the best pegs are those sold by fishing tackle shops for bivvys.

The ones I use are made by Trakker and come in wallets of 10 so though they are quite expensive. .... (£10. 99 for the standard ones or £14. 99 for the XL ones).... you should never loose any if you put them straight back in the wallet as you pull them out.

Each has its own pulling handle moulded to the top of it and I've never found a pitch yet where I haven't been able to push them in by hand. .... :D

Small ones trakbivpegsmall.jpg XL ones trakbivpegxl.jpg

They really look the business - we got some similar in a nice little case at Towsure.

Nice outfit by the way.

I have hundreds of pegs --- orange - green -red -grey - you name them. Many with bent points and missing ears.

We now store them in a redundant zipped "football boot bag" (with Nike tick)

"dad. ....DAAAAD. .look at those posh people over there, they even have a Nike peg bag. can we have one dad, please dad. ....dad. .go on. ....daaaaaaad. pleeeeeaaaaaaasssssssseeeee. ..........."

LMFAO, we have the same pegs, never needed any others really. But our bag aint as posh :)

I did have some of those screw in type, but found they took LONGER to screw in that to hammer in normal ones. :D

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

I use the plastic screw in for soft ground and the metal screw in for hard ground or hard standing. Both are screwed in with electric drill. i wouldn't go back to banging in pegs.

regards

Lee

Guest Roving Rangies

I use 12 inch steel marquee pegs for bad weather,and hard ground, 9 inch steel marquee pegs and 6 inch fence wire stretchers for general pegging out in all other conditions. Of coruse I use a storm strap and those bl88dy great pegs if windy.

I did have fancy plastic topped things, but the plastic broke and all i was left with was 9 inch nails!

The wire stretchers can be bought in diffrent lengths, all extremely strong and only about 35p each, its just a case of finding a farm shop that sells them! (mine are over 12 years old and not one bend in site!)